The history of the Westshoremen

A lot of times we had the attitude that prelims was the contest and finals was the recording session. :blink:

Good point... my six years with Sunrisers, we changed position from prelims to finals once... in 1980.

To some degree, finals was almost like a judged exhibition!

Prelims performances would be great...I always thought (well at least when I marched) that we peaked at prelims...and could never get that "umphh" at finals!

Maybe because we always seemed to not "over" warm up, and seemed to rush to get on the field because someone messed up time wise, and we didn't have a chance to think? I always thought we over did it before finals, we seemed to leave a "great one" on the practice field! Brian used to HATE my pre-show routines when we were teaching together... he had this "theory" that you had to be overly warm in order to play a great show....I always thought you needed to "go mental" right before the show, and warm up JUST enough to avoid hand and arm cramps!

I used to have the mind set that you need to play for an hour before the show. No longer. get in, get loose, run some chunks of the show and go

i have some stuff i want to get converted to digital...i think this is on it as well as 80 prelims

Have a DVD with old Super8 film converted to it. Actually went Super8 -> VHS -> DVD. Big problem was I had the film reels in order but then the order got messed up somehow. Somewhere in 60 minutes or so of silent WTH is three(?) short clips of the corps. 74 parade at Annville, early 80s somewhere (probably Linglestown) with Benny waving at the camera (mom HAD to film him) and forget the other one. Also have DVD (PC format only, won't work in TV) of WSM at 85 ICA Championships (aka Erie Monsoon Fest). Came from another DCPer and no idea who did it origianally.

PS - Need some prayers for Kris' mom and the family. Got taken back to the Holy Hilton yesterday and having breathing problems along with other issues. Don't see this going on too much longer.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Jim you got all the prayers you can get. Kathy Hepner, Shore pitter in the 90s in there with some serious issues, and all Holy Hilton jokes aside, they've done a wonderful job and she's slowly coming back to normal.

well as normal as she can get

Jim you got all the prayers you can get. Kathy Hepner, Shore pitter in the 90s in there with some serious issues, and all Holy Hilton jokes aside, they've done a wonderful job and she's slowly coming back to normal.

well as normal as she can get

Thanks and can't say I have seen any issues with in-patient care at HSH. Outpatient Services I wouldn't use on a bet mainly due to Kris picking up staph after a minor operation there few years back. Was there last week and lot of communications problems going on with report time being lost (twice) and release time changing. Stayed 2 more hours because they "forgot" to factor in the wait time needed to check for complications. Then there is the woman sitting next to us who go told to bring her husband back next week because the laser crapped out just before they started on him. "We only have one and no one here knows how to fix it".

And we're still working on a bill from last November that HSH can't submit right to the insurance. That's bad enough but every few weeks I get a full bill from HSH ($10K). "But you shouldn't be getting a bill so don't worry". "I AM getting the bill so I'm going to worry YOU about it".

Good point... my six years with Sunrisers, we changed position from prelims to finals once... in 1980.

To some degree, finals was almost like a judged exhibition!

yeah...I always thought that if you really fouled something up, you weren't changing position... 84 was about the only time I can remember changing position.

I used to have the mind set that you need to play for an hour before the show. No longer. get in, get loose, run some chunks of the show and go

I always liked doing nothing except single hand stuff and a few diddle or roll pattern exercises to keep the juices flowing through the veins, no show, don't want to over-think stuff. I always felt that music rehearsal was what you did during the day, this was just warm ups...Brian and I always clashed about that when we worked together.

I dont mind running some show stuff...muscle memory, getting the hands ready for whats to come.

but now days, playing legattos starting at 80bpm, ####### forget it

I dont mind running some show stuff...muscle memory, getting the hands ready for whats to come.

but now days, playing legattos starting at 80bpm, ####### forget it

We did the tom feature in 83 to hype ourselves up before finals, and it sucked on the recording...maybe not to the average listener, but we knew....

bad karma.... :thumbdown:

We did the tom feature in 83 to hype ourselves up before finals, and it sucked on the recording...maybe not to the average listener, but we knew....

bad karma.... :thumbdown:

we usually ran the whole show