The history of the Westshoremen

Ha you are getting old

Nudity - Jeff

Horn player - ahhhh now I know

Yeah, I think I've seen Jeff's and your schmeckel more than my own! :blink:

No kidding, though nudity was no big deal... I remember my parents coming over to where we were getting changed after a show (i.e. our part of the lot) and my mother saying to me the next day "does everyone walk around naked or in bra's all the time, your father was amazed" I think i told her that only the women walked around in bra's...the guy were either naked or in undershorts... :tongue:

My future in-laws used to ask the same thing.. after one of the first years that they stopped by the bus, you could tell that they were hesitant to get too close, and would usually send Lisa up to try to find me before approaching...

Nudity? you seen one naked person, you've seen most of them....

Like I've posted before my folks would meet me after the Carlisle show at Benny truck. So they got a real good look at corps life. :tongue: Kicker was the night my mom was standing there and thought someone was talking to her. She turned and the guy had his back turned but was dropping his pants as he talked. :blink: Heard about that one later... "Is that the usual?"... "Yeah.. beats doing it in a moving bus".

Hell I'm more modest now. I open front and back car doors on the side of the car away from people, then I drop 'em.

Stray memory.. bus to Amhearst in 74. Folks take me to meet the bus at the CH Shopping Center and stick around (guess a big deal to them). Here come Steve Filipelli with usual Blackbeard the pirate look, straw hat, t-shirt with BULL #### in huge letters. He's walking around waving by wiggling his fingers and saying "Howdy Doo" all over the place. PS - freakin' sun hasn't even come up yet. I get asked if that's a corps member and respond "Board of Directors I think". I then hear dad under his breath say "Wish I was going, looks like fun". Few years later he went on the trip to the Meadowlands for Steelers-Jets pre-season game halftime show..... drunk hit the bus right below his seat on the way home. He still talks about it cuz he enjoyed it so much.

Like I've posted before my folks would meet me after the Carlisle show at Benny truck. So they got a real good look at corps life. :tongue: Kicker was the night my mom was standing there and thought someone was talking to her. She turned and the guy had his back turned but was dropping his pants as he talked. :blink: Heard about that one later... "Is that the usual?"... "Yeah.. beats doing it in a moving bus".

Hell I'm more modest now. I open front and back car doors on the side of the car away from people, then I drop 'em.

Stray memory.. bus to Amhearst in 74. Folks take me to meet the bus at the CH Shopping Center and stick around (guess a big deal to them). Here come Steve Filipelli with usual Blackbeard the pirate look, straw hat, t-shirt with BULL #### in huge letters. He's walking around waving by wiggling his fingers and saying "Howdy Doo" all over the place. PS - freakin' sun hasn't even come up yet. I get asked if that's a corps member and respond "Board of Directors I think". I then hear dad under his breath say "Wish I was going, looks like fun". Few years later he went on the trip to the Meadowlands for Steelers-Jets pre-season game halftime show..... drunk hit the bus right below his seat on the way home. He still talks about it cuz he enjoyed it so much.

yeah, no kidding it was casual! I'm just as modest these days as well...the fact that I don't wear "tidy whiteys" does make it easier, since they look like shorts should make it a no brainer... I usually just drop my shorts when putting on my Under Armour and drysuit undergarments at the quarry. Some of the "newbie divers" look at me and think :blink: really? The guys I dive with all drop 'em and suit up when the time comes. Most of the ladies that dive there (in dry suits) all wear sports bra's underneath...not as much fun as the old daze! :thumbdown:

The nice thing is when there are young babes in the basic diving classes there who wear bikini's under their wetsuits... :w00t: I've seen a few slips during classes. :thumbup:

Edited by Jaminbenb

Modest.... if we wear the full uni I have gym shorts underneath and if I can get away with it just put the shorts on at home and wear sweat pants over top. Then yank off the sweatpants where ever I'm at and see if anyone freaks until they see the shorts. :tongue:

Summer uni is golf shirt and shorts. Lot of people wear the uni from the house and back but after the parade... yuck... Then I change in the bus if no choice (too old, fat, and arthritic) but standing by the car is the easiest cuz I dump my crap in the luggage comparment of teh Outback. Also on the bus gotta watch if there are any kids or ladies nearby... don't want 'em to puke when I strip.... :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

first time I got on the band bus in HS, when it was time to change, I just went to town. You should have seen the looks I got... I was like "what the hell, this is what they do in drum corps"

Monday Morning, the band director and I were in the principals office having a discussion about while changing on the bus is ok,going down to my underwear is really not what I should be doing

:tongue:

first time I got on the band bus in HS, when it was time to change, I just went to town. You should have seen the looks I got... I was like "what the hell, this is what they do in drum corps"

Monday Morning, the band director and I were in the principals office having a discussion about while changing on the bus is ok,going down to my underwear is really not what I should be doing

:tongue:

My only bad run in with the band director re: corps was when I got nailed for singing drum corps songs in the back of the bus (no one told me the band director was standing behind me during "eat-bite-s**k-f**k-gobble-nibble-chew"! ) :blink:

When we got back to the school, I got pulled aside and was told to either go directly to the vice principals office Monday morning and sing what I just sang for him, or go to the guidance counselors office and schedule myself to join chorus :doh: I was probably the only person in the history of choirs to audition using THAT tune! :thumbup:

I think I did get told about changing, but was told to at least wear a pair of shorts under my pants if I was going to do that....

Edited by Jaminbenb

Well, I did behave after that.

Until the trip to Toronto in 9th grade when i got on the bus and saw George was my driver. Only time I willingly sat up front on a bus ride

Well, I did behave after that.

Until the trip to Toronto in 9th grade when i got on the bus and saw George was my driver. Only time I willingly sat up front on a bus ride

What was funny, one trip George wasn't able to do our trip (personal reason, whatever) and they had a substitute driver (Herman was his name) Not sure what year, but I know I was still in high school. I want to say it was later in the season, but don't really recall the circumstances. We had the trip and this bus driver was fun enough to mess with, and we had a good time with him. Several weeks later I was on a band trip for school, and who's our bus driver but Herman! :thumbup: I walked up to him and started singing one of the nastier corps songs and he turned around and looked :spitting: and said "where'd you come from?" I said I'm in the band..he then said "none of those shenanigans like when I was driving a few weeks back!" I was like "moi" :innocent:

Edit: I just remembered which song, it was "hooray for the bus driver!" :thumbup:

He ended up being fun. But it was a serious culture shock for the poor guy!

Oh crap...forgot about this one... one night I was headed to Bowsers, and went into a bar in Highspire (Susquehanna Crab Shack or something like that) for a 6-pack...and who's sitting at the bar? GEORGE! Well of course I didn't make it to Bowsers for a while, I had to sit down and have a few beers with him! By the time I got to Bowsers I was already half in the bag, and he was like "dude where's the six?" I said you should have come with me, George was buying me beers for the last hour and a half! :thumbup:

Edited by Jaminbenb

For the record, the kid was not mine. :satisfied: They'd been going together for over a year by the time the wedding happened IIRC, maybe longer. Dropped her in '81 at the end of the season as you remember. This may have happened when I was at WCU which would place it in Fall '83. She picked him up on the rebound at the beginning of the semester, not long after DCA's!

I just wanted to make sure people didn't think my genetic material mingled with any of her offspring. :rolleyes:

And anothe hint- Ben, I'm going to Downingtown. You should go. If you get a reserve ticket or tickets- get there REAL early, I'll be scoping out a seat in the sweet spot on the 50 under the box. Any other Westshore folks going- contact me, I'll try and get seats if I am forewarned for you.