The history of the Westshoremen

I was still 13

I started working at the place I'm still at..... :cool:

####### NAME of the place changed twice and on third set of modular furniture (Dilberts Cubicle Farm) and first having a 200 pound Navy grey desk..... And no smoking inside....

I was still 13

I was 19 (soon to be 20) Out of high school....working a crappy job....but still enjoying life in drum corps.......... :devil:

Gah, but that opener!!!!!!!! I repeat about Madison's opener that year.... GAAAAAAAH! It's everything in a nutshell people gripe about when they gripe about bad in DCI. I can point out every part that's gratuitously thrown in there to jack up the horn analysis number in that opener, it's so stinkin' obvious.

W, I'm with ya on this.

It was like Madison had two completely different shows that year... the first half, which for me just kinda hung there... nothing really special... and then the second half, where the corps absolutely lit the place on fire with Malaguena.

1982................. :ph34r:

I turned 24 that summer. My last year marching.

I had been kicking around the idea of "retiring" for months... "Maybe I'll call it a day after this season, maybe I'll come back... I'll see how things go"...

Then we had a two-show weekend, in late July I believe it was. Carisle, PA on Saturday, Derby, CT on Sunday afternoon. :blink:

Now... there is absolutely no connection whatsoever between Carlisle and Derby. They are a million miles from each other. LOL.

And the day of the Derby show... it was blazing hot that day.

I and a buddy from Sun drove to the show (this after taking the bus from Long Island for the relatively long trip to Carlisle, getting off the bus "back home" on Long Island and driving back to NJ for a few hours' sleep).... and I don't think I had ever been, up to that point in my life, as physically and mentally drained as I was on that Sunday.

And topping off the day... on a horrible note... was the death of John Collum, who was chief judge at the show.

John and his girlfriend Jackie were great folks and friends to a number of us, myself included. He had been battling cancer... and that day he collapsed, literally right in front of us, during our performance. He was pronounced dead a short time later. Needless to say, that kinda threw me and others off our game that day.

I decided right then and there, after our performance, that 1982 would be my last season marching, no matter what happened the rest of the summer. I was done, done, done.

Edited by Fran Haring

W, I'm with ya on this.

It was like Madison had two completely different shows that year... the first half, which for me just kinda hung there... nothing really special... and then the second half, where the corps absolutely lit the place on fire with Malaguena.

I watched that show after the discussion. Jeff is right- Scouts were really clean hornwise. And yes, the second half is the very sincere apology to the fans for the first half that was inflicted upon them.

Lately, I've been listening to of all things, the Hoyt Curtin compositions for Jonny Quest. Hoping to draw Baldy out on this one with all the nasty Bone work and arm flailing. The main theme and exit theme as well as most of the incidental stuff were basically a jazz ensemble with a buttload of trombones, the soloist was Frank Rosolino, the stuff is kickin' for music written for a kid's show. One of the reasons I loved the show as a kid myself.

A guy put together a lot of sound tracks on YT, you can do the searches on your own hint hint... and really, there's a mini-corps show in there if you had the right madmen. :satisfied:

when i went back in 95, it was just for the season. i did the countdown every week.

then we won drums and placed 2nd.

i was at the first rehearsal in october before 95% of the corps

Happened to notice the brithdays and saw a user id of "manson". Checked the profile and yep our guy.

Too bad he hasn't been on in 5 years......

I watched that show after the discussion. Jeff is right- Scouts were really clean hornwise. And yes, the second half is the very sincere apology to the fans for the first half that was inflicted upon them.

Lately, I've been listening to of all things, the Hoyt Curtin compositions for Jonny Quest. Hoping to draw Baldy out on this one with all the nasty Bone work and arm flailing. The main theme and exit theme as well as most of the incidental stuff were basically a jazz ensemble with a buttload of trombones, the soloist was Frank Rosolino, the stuff is kickin' for music written for a kid's show. One of the reasons I loved the show as a kid myself.

A guy put together a lot of sound tracks on YT, you can do the searches on your own hint hint... and really, there's a mini-corps show in there if you had the right madmen. :satisfied:

I always thought that the Jonny Quest theme would make a great drum corps tune! Watching that show probably helped me gain my love for that big brassy sound! :devil: