The history of the Westshoremen

OK...Was listening to 2012 DCI (obtained through illicit means :devil: ) and what really bugs me is WHY does the announcer talk DURING the shows? I know that the "thing" is to do "warm up" drills and then they start the show at a specific spot...but do they really need the dude to announce while they are playing it?

Makes no sense....

End of rant...

Back to your regularly scheduled stuff.... :tongue:

OK...Was listening to 2012 DCI (obtained through illicit means :devil: ) and what really bugs me is WHY does the announcer talk DURING the shows? I know that the "thing" is to do "warm up" drills and then they start the show at a specific spot...but do they really need the dude to announce while they are playing it?

Makes no sense....

End of rant...

Back to your regularly scheduled stuff.... :tongue:

The corps do "pre-shows" now.... before their judged time begins.

The announcements are timed to be given during those pre-shows... all depending on when a given corps wants the announcement read.

Ben, I agree... it can be pretty awkward at times. Especially when a corps tries to jam the announcement right up against a big impact to start their show. However, the corps I saw this year (and admittedly I only saw a few)... that wasn't as much of a problem as in years past.

The corps do "pre-shows" now.... before their judged time begins.

The announcements are timed to be given during those pre-shows... all depending on when a given corps wants the announcement read.

Ben, I agree... it can be pretty awkward at times. Especially when a corps tries to jam the announcement right up against a big impact to start their show. However, the corps I saw this year (and admittedly I only saw a few)... that wasn't as much of a problem as in years past.

You'd still think they'd just get the announcements out of the way, THEN let them do their thing....Do the Seniors do it as well?

You'd still think they'd just get the announcements out of the way, THEN let them do their thing....Do the Seniors do it as well?

A couple of corps have done them in recent years... the rule was changed a few years back and now each corps has a 17-minute window to set up, perform and leave the field. They can use the time before the beginning of their judged portion however they want. (The judged portion of the show is 10 minutes minimum, 12 minutes maximum.)

Honestly, I kinda liked the way it was done in DCA not too long ago... with each corps getting a one-minute warmup. Some corps used that time as a "moving warmup" right into the judged portion... sort of a mini pre-show, but I think it was a lot less awkward. (The announcements were done before the moving warmup so there was no interruption.)

Whatever. I don't make the rules, and thank God for that!!! :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

the problem is the announcement DCI wants read is too long. "presenting their 2013 show insert title here, the insert corps name here".

Makes it tough

the problem is the announcement DCI wants read is too long. "presenting their 2013 show insert title here, the insert corps name here".

Makes it tough

But I still don't get why they can't do the announcement, THEN let the corps do it's thing...I mean they can always use the starters pistol to let the judges know when it's "live"! It just takes away from the whole presentation on the "album"...

You have to design the flying start around that blurb to make it work. Luckily they have that guy that's been around forever doing the call, so he knows when, etc.

True! He does know WHEN to do his thing...but he get's that "guttural" roar when he announces though :blink:

You have to design the flying start around that blurb to make it work. Luckily they have that guy that's been around forever doing the call, so he knows when, etc.

The announcer is cued by a corps' staff member or by the T&P judge in most cases. Last year at DCA, Kidsgrove Scouts had a staff member over my shoulder in the pressbox, cueing me for their announcements during their pre-show setup.

It's when corps try to get a bit too cute and jam that intro right up against an opening impact (in my radio days, we called that "hitting the post"... talking over an instrumental intro right up until the vocals began) is where problems can happen.

One DCI show I worked, there was something like a one to two-second delay between the time I spoke, and when the announcement was actually heard over the PA system. If a corps didn't factor that delay into their intro announcement, then the brass/percussion impact got stepped on.

Edited by Fran Haring

The announcer is cued by a corps' staff member or by the T&P judge in most cases. Last year at DCA, Kidsgrove Scouts had a staff member over my shoulder in the pressbox, cueing me for their announcements during their pre-show setup.

It's when corps try to get a bit too cute and jam that intro right up against an opening impact (in my radio days, we called that "hitting the post"... talking over an instrumental intro right up until the vocals began) is where problems can happen.

One DCI show I worked, there was something like a one to two-second delay between the time I spoke, and when the announcement was actually heard over the PA system. If a corps didn't factor that delay into their intro announcement, then the brass/percussion impact got stepped on.

So, they have to factor in PA delay... eesh!

Brandt Crocker is the name of the guy for DCI.

None of these YouTubes of Crocker have any musical content. I don't thaik Crocker introducing a corps is intellectual property...

Looks like he comes to rehearsals and practices and goes through the stuff that day before the show. Also note he uses his copy in the second example to make sure he's got the blurb right. Good man.

So, they have to factor in PA delay... eesh!

Brandt Crocker is the name of the guy for DCI.

None of these YouTubes of Crocker have any musical content. I don't thaik Crocker introducing a corps is intellectual property...

Looks like he comes to rehearsals and practices and goes through the stuff that day before the show. Also note he uses his copy in the second example to make sure he's got the blurb right. Good man.

That IS impressive that he does that!