The history of the Westshoremen

as for wackiest retreat:

1991, Scranton finals. Who in their right ####### mind turns off the lights for retreat at DCA? The fireworks set the mountain in the outfield on fire, people walking onto the field, people walking off of the field...total insanity

The "lights off" thing happened in 1996, too.

No fireworks setting the place on fire, though. :w00t:

In both cases... 1991 and '96... what people didn't realize is that once those lights went off, they couldn't be turned back on for probably at least 20 minutes or more. If the lights didn't cool down properly, there was a risk of blowing out the entire system if they were turned back on too early.

Somehow, that fact didn't get communicated from the stadium staffs to the folks who came up with the idea. :tongue:

The "lights off" thing happened in 1996, too.

No fireworks setting the place on fire, though. :w00t:/>

In both cases... 1991 and '96... what people didn't realize is that once those lights went off, they couldn't be turned back on for probably at least 20 minutes or more. If the lights didn't cool down properly, there was a risk of blowing out the entire system if they were turned back on too early.

Somehow, that fact didn't get communicated from the stadium staffs to the folks who came up with the idea. :tongue:/>

I was alittle distracted for 96...plus fireworks had been going off all night in other partsof the town.....visible to the whole crowd.

IMO the real fiasco in 96 was the mass playing of that tune. I think us and maybe Empire took it seriously. I heard a lot of music being played around me, but most of it wasn't that tune

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of died in here...where's everybody at??

well....i'd type up my years while we wait for 82 to finish, but...you guys have each other to bounce stuff off of and gab about stuff. i have me myself and i....not as fun

well....i'd type up my years while we wait for 82 to finish, but...you guys have each other to bounce stuff off of and gab about stuff. i have me myself and i....not as fun

It's not our fault the guys from your era decided not to participate in our little fun fest!

82? I thought we slid into 1983...

Hopping in at lunch time to say I'll be missing for a while. For those not on the corps FB page, Kris lost her dad last week and things are busy to say the least. Full condo o' crap and not everyone lives nearby to go thru it. Anyone want a Buick (pronounced like yer puking BuuuuuuuICK) that has no valid inspection, registration, "customized" front fender and missing the keys last I heard. :shutup:

OK...this is the story of me meeting Chris Garrett!

Went to the wedding of a friend (who works with my wife) and wandered into the reception, drinking a lot of wine...and saw the DJ....thought..guy looks familiar, but ok....he said who he was and my wife goes "isn't he the guy that's on Fox 43 AND used to be a Westshore DM?" I said "THAT'S how I know who he is!" SO I figured I should go introduce myself at some point.....at dinner he was at the table next to me, so as i headed out to the bar, I stopped him and said "Hey Chris, do the words 'Valdaree Valderah' mean anything to you?" He looked at me..and the look on his face was PRICELESS! and said "OH MY GOD!" So I told him who I was, when I marched, etc. and he said that he heard of me :blink:/> ...and we talked for a few minutes....During the wedding, there was a contingency that played some Polish music (The Dyngus society?!?!) and during that time, they played the Beer Barrel Polka....I wandered by and asked if he was singing the "right" words to it! He lost it! Then I said, we need to get a picture....to freak out "Ream"! so we did, posted it on FB and that was the history! He told me I need to do the "alumni" corps...I told him why I don't...he didn't buy it! Nice guy...wish I marched with him!! :thumbup:/>/>

(and he's a good DJ!)

Edited by Jaminbenb

It's not our fault the guys from your era decided not to participate in our little fun fest!

82? I thought we slid into 1983...

i dont know I dont ever seeing finals weekend 82 covered.

and yeah I tell em about the place.

but hey it looks like the drummers pushing for Love For Sale for the alumni corps won the battle