The history of the Westshoremen

Great line!!!! :thumbup:/>/>

Yeah, after the show my father said he was afraid that we were going to get nailed for it.

Which line? Mine or moms..... Phrase "feathered rats" was in my mind too.....

I was picturing Kelly walking around during the end of the night yealling "BANG! BANG!"..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Which line? Mine or moms..... Phrase "feathered rats" was in my mind too.....

I was picturing Kelly walking around during the end of the night yealling "BANG! BANG!"..

Your mom's line!

wow...thinking about Walter Kelly "shooting blanks" just came to mind....YIKES! :blink:

Your mom's line!

wow...thinking about Walter Kelly "shooting blanks" just came to mind....YIKES! :blink:/>/>

My folks only went to Finals twice 1979 and 1980. Both times at Hershey and both times wierd stuff went on. 1980 with 'da boids and 1979 (supposedly my last show).

1979 there were two guys in front of my folks in the stands. Somehow they had an entire cooler with them and were emptying it all during Finals. Can't remember the rules back then but think there was that picnic area underneath but the cooler was full of beer. That year Cabs were on next to last and then Buccs. Cabs come out and one guy yells "Here comes Hawthorne... time to take a (rhymes with hiss)". Cabs fans get PO'ed and my dad, mom and 12 year old sister are trying not to bust a gut laughing. Cabs do their show and... sure enough.... here comes the guy back....

Dad brought that up for years. Think it was the most fun he ever had at a corps show. For my sister it was Carlisle in the late 80s when the Skyliner Honor Guard head threatened to put his saber thru a cars radiator. Car made a wrong turn in the parking lot and was heading towards the corps as they left the retreat field. Bunch of swear words and nasty motions with the saber and the poor slob backed out. We only saw it because my moms feet were bothering her so we followed Sky to avoid the crowd trying to get out of the stadium. We just went to the bottom of the stands and went thru the gate to get to the corps side of the track. :devil:/> Got out real quick and saw the show....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Funniest thing my family ever saw was at finals when they were in Hershey, and they had the lot close to the end zone marked as being for "DCA APPROVED VEHICLES" only,and we somehow got copies of the signs made, and were able to park there... I just remember handing one to my father and going "stick this on your dash, and you can park with us" He NEVER forgot that, and was telling someone about it at his ship reunion a few years back when it was in Hershey.

Anyone have experience with this guy:

Westshoremen CD

no. i asked for sample sound file and got crickets

no. i asked for sample sound file and got crickets

I questioned the sources, saying that the sources I've received in the past were substandard, and he just said "you didn't get them from me"... I sent him another email, and nothing!

I may have to do something nasty on his E-bay account (or we just pool our money, get a copy, and pass them out!) :devil:/>

Edited by Jaminbenb

Seen those years for sale at another site and have all(?) of the 50s/60s ones from there. That other site got ripped by Drum Corps World and possibly others because DCW had bought the master tapes and were starting to sell those corps/years too. Just checked and this site doesn't have any DCI/DCA recordings anymore "due to copyright". Also don't think they have what DCW started selling. Talked to the guy who ran the site years back (before he got ripped by DCW) and he would take old albums and clean them up. But that only went so far. Got a feeling this seller has a copy of the old master set of corps recordings from this site before the DCA/DCI/DCW ones got yanked. (Long story that I won't relate here who I know there was more than one set.)

Keep saying this site because every time I posted it, the post got deleted. :thumbdown:

Edit: Just remembered I saw some posts about this between two "interested parties" (not the guy selling today). Question is if DCW buys the show recordings from the estate of the guy who recorded and gets the rights can someone sell a copy of that recording.

Also Supposedly you can only really clean up the original source (master tape or album). If you try to clean up the recording of the OS not much you can do without tons of money and effort.

LOL wonder why 1975 ain't on there. The other site still has it from the Carlisle show... and I know how they got it. :devil:/>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'm in the stands and probably the only one NOT laughing at it all....

All I could think of was: "Now watch up get a ####### penalty and miss 5th place". :sad:

I know this has come up before... but I think the thing that frustrated/ticked us (Sun) off the most that night was not the bird incident itself, nor the members of the Westshoremen, who clearly did not want things to go the way they did... but that DCA was threatening us with a delay-of-show penalty if we did what we asked to do, and go back under the back stands to regroup for a few minutes before coming back out to perform.

So, to sum up... LOL... we had absolutely NOTHING to do with the incident that delayed the show... all we wanted was a few extra minutes to re-focus a bit... but WE were the ones threatened with a penalty. :blink:

Years later, a DCA official... OK, it was Mickey... LOL... admitted to me that we were right, that DCA made a mistake, that if anyone should have been threatened with/given a penalty, it was Westshore. :w00t:

To date, that 1980 incident is still the wackiest thing I've ever seen at a DCA championship. I think the "Phoenix comedy show" on retreat in 1976 might be second on that list. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

I know this has come up before... but I think the thing that frustrated/ticked us (Sun) off the most that night was not the bird incident itself, nor the members of the Westshoremen, who clearly did not want things to go the way they did... but that DCA was threatening us with a delay-of-show penalty if we did what we asked to do, and go back under the back stands to regroup for a few minutes before coming back out to perform.

So, to sum up... LOL... we had absolutely NOTHING to do with the incident that delayed the show... all we wanted was a few extra minutes to re-focus a bit... but WE were the ones threatened with a penalty. :blink:/>

Years later, a DCA official... OK, it was Mickey... LOL... admitted to me that we were right, that DCA made a mistake, that if anyone should have been threatened with/given a penalty, it was Westshore. :w00t:/>

To date, that 1980 incident is still the wackiest thing I've ever seen at a DCA championship. I think the "Phoenix comedy show" on retreat in 1976 might be second on that list. :tongue:/>

If Mickey was smart...he would have given us a one point penalty for the stupid birds (and made Hershman buy him dinner or something) and given you guys a one point penalty penalty for wanting to regroup :tongue: