The history of the Westshoremen

That IS impressive that he does that!

I did radio BITD, and Fran as well- if you do things like this right, you really make sure everything is synched with your customer as best as possible. You want to make them look great, and you want them to be happy!

The fun thing about those videos is he seems to be a legend with the kids. I would guess there's nothing like being in PR and hearing that "PHAAAAAANTOM REGIMENNNNT!" when you kick off.

Heck Rodinaro a couple of years back with the QF simulcast had him do one for the Muchachos like he did BITD. THAT was fun. :thumbup:

So, they have to factor in PA delay... eesh!

Brandt Crocker is the name of the guy for DCI.

None of these YouTubes of Crocker have any musical content. I don't thaik Crocker introducing a corps is intellectual property...

Looks like he comes to rehearsals and practices and goes through the stuff that day before the show. Also note he uses his copy in the second example to make sure he's got the blurb right. Good man.

It's all about show prep.

I'm just finishing some right now for the Scranton show.

Some folks, I think, are under the impression that people like Brandt, me, Dan Potter, Wes Hobby, whoever, simply show up and turn on the microphone. :rolleyes:

But the biggest compliment I've ever received has come from folks who do a PA or emcee gig for the first time... and then come up to me and say something like, "You make it look easy. Man... it's a lot of work!!!"

Edited by Fran Haring

Some folks, I think, are under the impression that people like Brandt, me, Dan Potter, Wes Hobby, whoever, simply show up and turn on the microphone. :rolleyes:/>

But the biggest compliment I've ever received has come from folks who do a PA or emcee gig for the first time... and then come up to me and say something like, "You make it look easy. Man... it's a lot of work!!!"

When's the Scranton show?

When's the Scranton show?

This Saturday. I have a 50 yard line ticket or like next to it about 7-8 rows down from the press box. I'll have near perfect spotting. Looking forward to it. :satisfied:

Link:

http://www.dcacorps.org/?page_id=21&event_id=120

They say 7, but there's a lot of stuff that goes on at the start. The thing is, try to get there early so you can get a decent parking spot across the street.

I plan on a Porkaretta blotter afterwards at the Glider up the street. :satisfied:

Next weekend after that is Big Sounds at Reading. Have a ticket somewhere down low near or on the 50 if Amy still had them and my guess is she did. I like watching low at Reading. Many smaller corps and you get that more gritty on the field perspective. I'll also get smacked by the Bucs and C2 and Fusion close up. All three playing well.

Some folks, I think, are under the impression that people like Brandt, me, Dan Potter, Wes Hobby, whoever, simply show up and turn on the microphone. :rolleyes:/>

It IS. I used to help Turnbull out with the KIDA indoor contest he had, and I used to have to deal with badly handwritten copy at the last minute, etc. I'd usually keep the people there and go over names or words I couldn't make the heck out. It gave Tom a break, etc.

The one time though some clown had a cell phone go off during a performance and started loudly talking, while the kids are ion the floor performing.. This was when the cells were kinda a new thing, nowadays I'd have 'graped' him for that clowny-axxed stunt. People back then didn't know what to do to that kind of crap in public! I was too shocked!

Heck, I nearly got into a fight with some woman and her wussy significant other at the DCI QF simulcast for texting and reading their bright smartphone readout about 4 years back all the ding dong time. A couple of old schoolers stood up behind me and said, "He's right, that screen is annoying and distracting, TURN IT THE @&*%$^ OFF"!. I thanked them later. I mean, WTF was so important? For the record I don't own a cell phone. I feel my time away from my phone is MY time.

I think over time people have become more professional and thoughtful about things like that with copy. The real issues I have are the ones who go through a spiel about all they did 25 years ago, haven't done anything of consequence since, and go through a laundry list of this and that, usually the longer the blurb, the less decent the group is I have found.

This Saturday. I have a 50 yard line ticket or like next to it about 7-8 rows down from the press box. I'll have near perfect spotting. Looking forward to it. :satisfied:/>

Link:

http://www.dcacorps.org/?page_id=21&event_id=120

They say 7, but there's a lot of stuff that goes on at the start. The thing is, try to get there early so you can get a decent parking spot across the street.

I plan on a Porkaretta blotter afterwards at the Glider up the street. :satisfied:/>

Next weekend after that is Big Sounds at Reading. Have a ticket somewhere down low near or on the 50 if Amy still had them and my guess is she did. I like watching low at Reading. Many smaller corps and you get that more gritty on the field perspective. I'll also get smacked by the Bucs and C2 and Fusion close up. All three playing well.

Crap! Shame it wasn't LAST Saturday I was stuck up there and bored out of my wits! This weekend I'm going to be down in Perkasie for a party... I can never get these right!

Crap! Shame it wasn't LAST Saturday I was stuck up there and bored out of my wits! This weekend I'm going to be down in Perkasie for a party... I can never get these right!

You have to take time and go to the DCA website and plan ahead. I have to. Otherwise I wouldn't be going to anything.

It IS. I used to help Turnbull out with the KIDA indoor contest he had, and I used to have to deal with badly handwritten copy at the last minute, etc. I'd usually keep the people there and go over names or words I couldn't make the heck out. It gave Tom a break, etc.

The one time though some clown had a cell phone go off during a performance and started loudly talking, while the kids are ion the floor performing.. This was when the cells were kinda a new thing, nowadays I'd have 'graped' him for that clowny-axxed stunt. People back then didn't know what to do to that kind of crap in public! I was too shocked!

Heck, I nearly got into a fight with some woman and her wussy significant other at the DCI QF simulcast for texting and reading their bright smartphone readout about 4 years back all the ding dong time. A couple of old schoolers stood up behind me and said, "He's right, that screen is annoying and distracting, TURN IT THE @&*%$^ OFF"!. I thanked them later. I mean, WTF was so important? For the record I don't own a cell phone. I feel my time away from my phone is MY time.

I think over time people have become more professional and thoughtful about things like that with copy. The real issues I have are the ones who go through a spiel about all they did 25 years ago, haven't done anything of consequence since, and go through a laundry list of this and that, usually the longer the blurb, the less decent the group is I have found.

Kind of why Brian always wanted our indoor things on our intro tape...he didn't want to burden anyone with reading our copy and not getting it right...some of the shows had bad PA systems as well...I used to have fun making those tapes, too! :thumbup:

You have to take time and go to the DCA website and plan ahead. I have to. Otherwise I wouldn't be going to anything.

The problem is drum corps isn't that much of a priority like it used to be...we USED to plan DCI East, but that just got put on the back burner after a few years...I was lucky to be in Indy a few years back and got to see quarter's and semi's...that might be a possibility again since we have a friend that's moving to Bloomington... (we already got tickets for the PSU-IU game in October :thumbup: )

I haven't been to a DCA show since prelims the year Rook, Santoro, Chez and crew taught Bucs (What year was that?) We had them to Lisa's mom's house in between for a "picnic".

Mostly I'm planning for diving on the weekends (Or Lisa is planning me for something else)

The 24th I'll be diving, and the 30th & 31st I'll be in Secaucus for the PSU-Syracuse game (and stocking up on wine in the Secaucus Sam's club :blink: )

That IS impressive that he does that!

that DCA guy just wings it LOL