Big Incentives To Come To The Cadets Audition/Experience Camp

I was at a parent's orientation for a Cadets camp two years ago.

The did a very good job of explaining drum corps (which most of the parent's were clueless about - another topic) and offered many alternatives.

The had contact infomation for all of the "local" corps (Surf, Bucs, Raiders, etc...).

I am far from being a Cadets lover, but it DID seem to me they have the kid's best intentions at heart at that meeting.

NOT $200.00 worth of good intentions, but at least they mentioned other outlets.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there are open class corps looking for members...and some world class corps too.

A LOT of things have changed since 1958. So what if present day world class corps require an audition and are selective. There are fewer corps around, but there are thousands more kids competing these days than in 1958.

Whoa, what? There are thousands more kids competing these days than in 1958? What's the basis for this claim? If there are 1/100th of the corps today compared to 1958, then the average corps size in 1958 would have to be....1.5.... to be equal to today. I know the corps sizes were smaller then, but not that small.

Edited by HockeyDad

Pay for play is nothing unique to drum corps these days. Try hockey......just for instance. You think the elite teams are full of the elite players? Well, certainly there are elite players on elite teams. But there are also players who show up willing to pay the $$ to fill out the team

Edited by HockeyDad

Of course there are open class corps looking for members...and some world class corps too.

A LOT of things have changed since 1958. So what if present day world class corps require an audition and are selective. There are fewer corps around, but there are thousands more kids competing these days than in 1958.

"THOUSANDS More!!!!????":

I don't think so. In New Jersey ALONE (With all three Junior National Champions St Vincents Cadets, Blessed Sacrament & Holy Name /Garfield Cadets within spitting distance of each other)there were a LOT more corps & marching members (Although none nearly as HUGE (Or EXPENSIVE) as the dreadnaughts of today

The old CYO Circuit in MA had enough corps to require an entire weekend to run their three claases, and the old Legion and VFW (Later the World Open) had to use "Abreviated" prelim shows to get all the corps qualified for their respective Finals.

"Northern Thunder" would be the "Deciding Authority" for this one, but from my memory the numbers of corps in existance at that time easily fielded MORE kids "On the Field" than "DCI" does today.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Whoa, what? There are thousands more kids competing these days than in 1958? What's the basis for this claim? If there are 1/100th of the corps today compared to 1958, then the average corps size in 1958 would have to be....1.5.... to be equal to today. I know the corps sizes were smaller then, but not that small.

I think the pool of talent and potential members is higher now. Especially with the higher number of high school programs across the country.

I think more people are involved in well run marching music programs today, than 50 years ago. I dont have proof, and it would be hard to prove it either way, but between HS band, WGI, and DC, i think more are involved, and thats what matters to me

"THOUSANDS More!!!!????":

I don't think so. In New Jersey ALONE (With all three Junior National Champions St Vincents Cadets, Blessed Sacrament & Holy Name /Garfield Cadets within spitting distance of each other)there were a LOT more corps & marching members (Although none nearly as HUGE (Or EXPENSIVE) as the dreadnaughts of today

The old CYO Circuit in MA had enough corps to require an entire weekend to run their three claases, and the old Legion and VFW (Later the World Open) had to use "Abreviated" prelim shows to get all the corps qualified for their respective Finals.

"Northern Thunder" would be the "Deciding Authority" for this one, but from my memory the numbers of corps in existance at that time easily fielded MORE kids "On the Field" than "DCI" does today.

Elphaba

You are looking at only drum corps...note that I said "There are fewer corps around, but there are thousands more kids competing these days than in 1958."

Competitive HS band has replaced those corps...in far larger number, hence my comment.

You are looking at only drum corps...note that I said "There are fewer corps around, but there are thousands more kids competing these days than in 1958."

Competitive HS band has replaced those corps...in far larger number, hence my comment.

And a good point as to why we should be more supportive of marching bands in the drum corps community. The local communities decided with their money to invest in school music programs rather than community programs. So the money that your neighborhood would have donated to the local CYO drum corps is now going to the town as taxes to support school music programs. While it hurt drum corps big time, it's the best way to reach the broadest audience for drum corps members to corps of all sizes, divisions, etc. and, more importantly, to expose as many kids in this country to music as possible. Support your local school music programs, PLEASE!!!

And a good point as to why we should be more supportive of marching bands in the drum corps community. The local communities decided with their money to invest in school music programs rather than community programs. So the money that your neighborhood would have donated to the local CYO drum corps is now going to the town as taxes to support school music programs. While it hurt drum corps big time, it's the best way to reach the broadest audience for drum corps members to corps of all sizes, divisions, etc. and, more importantly, to expose as many kids in this country to music as possible. Support your local school music programs, PLEASE!!!

Great post!

I definitely see what HasBeen is saying and agree with it, even sort of encouraged to do the same by my instructors. $200 is roughly a tenth of a tour fee and with low chances of getting in I'd rather audition at a corps I like just as much but think I have a better shot at getting in. Maybe if things don't work out or after improving some I could try at the Cadets but I see how he sees it's a waste of money when you don't have the abilities to have a chance.