Madison's 2010 Uniform

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, please try to keep comments about individual users to PM, not the public threads. These comments will be removed as they violate DCP's Community Guidelines and action may be taken against members.

Let's just talk about the Scouts. And spats.

Thanks,

Mike

I would make sure each member gets a Scout knife and compass. And one of those nifty mess kits too. Hey, who needs schools to stay in when you can have tents!!!!

Why not take training to Piedmont in NM too while we are at it?

Obviously, this is to point out that some of you are taking the Scouts thing perhaps...a little bit too far.

One more thing...The Boy Scouts of America require all adult leaders submit to a criminal background check as a result of a lawsuit from 2005 I believe. Again, don't take this Scouts thing too far.

<personal attack removed. Again. -MikeN> Who's taking the "boy scout thing" too far? I havn't read a single person calling for them to wear a boy scout uniform...or to get back to their BSA roots. The Scouts are getting back to their drum corps roots. They are a drum corps, after all. Seems the only thing going overboard is that....non-sensical post.

Thanks for that. I hnestly laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of what I just read. :thumbup:

Edited by MikeN

Yes! This uniform will always scream Madison to me. It was simple, but iconic. The dark on dark just never popped enough.

Their best uniforms are the 88-02, followed close by the 03-04 uniform.

The type of uniform being considered is one from a time when the corps was consistently solid and when the corps brought tremendous wow factor to the activity, whereas the uniform you like was from a time when the year-to-year performance of the corps was a little more uneven and concluded misfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I love the 90's look and all of those shows, too. But perhaps the "retro look" (please excuse the term) is a factor in the process of re-establishing the brand and putting it on a steady, even course.

I can't wait to see what they come up with. Although I really like their look when they went through their Eisenhower jacket phase, I've been waiting for them to go back to that late 70s/early 80s "Madison" look.

And a huge :thumbup: to the spats. Only 3 corps can pull that look off. One of them is gone, one of them is in the Sr. circuit and the 3rd one is finally bringing them back where they belong.

Actually, I loved when the Blue Devils rolled them out for the 1986 season.

The type of uniform being considered is one from a time when the corps was consistently solid and when the corps brought tremendous wow factor to the activity, whereas the uniform you like was from a time when the year-to-year performance of the corps was a little more uneven and concluded misfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I love the 90's look and all of those shows, too. But perhaps the "retro look" (please excuse the term) is a factor in the process of re-establishing the brand and putting it on a steady, even course.

This...as opposed to what TB said.

I would make sure each member gets a Scout knife and compass. And one of those nifty mess kits too. Hey, who needs schools to stay in when you can have tents!!!!

Why not take training to Piedmont in NM too while we are at it?

Obviously, this is to point out that some of you are taking the Scouts thing perhaps...a little bit too far.

One more thing...The Boy Scouts of America require all adult leaders submit to a criminal background check as a result of a lawsuit from 2005 I believe. Again, don't take this Scouts thing too far.

One tries to give you the benefit of the doubt given your son's involvement but then you can't seem to help yourself and go and write something as gratuitously offensive as this.

I know I said this over in the other thread, but if I was going to update a "classic" Madison look, I would have done the 88-02 uniforms. C'mon, they wore those for 15 years - just as long as the older style that everyone is calling classic Madison. And those were just as recognizable while being minor-enhancements away from being ready to go in a modern context.

That said, it's not like I'm suddenly rooting for them to fail if they use older uniforms - the early 80's dark-on-dark look has just never really grown on me.

Mike

My understnading is that last couple years that has been considered. None of the looks since 2002 have quite "stuck".

Here's some points that Jim Mason made at the Annual Meeting last Friday regarding the Scouts Uniform. He pointed out that "we've" lost our identity, and one way you reclaim it is by skillfully getting back to your heritage via your identifiable look. He really hammered on this point of being proud of our heritage and being proud of the "Madison historic look". Jim reiterated that "'we are Scout's"!, and we should be proud of the "classic" uniform that identified us primarily through the years when things were going much better for the corps! Jim stated that "we will once again see the Scouts feet" via spats! He pointed out that this alone will "force us" to "fix" our technique. Even though it was stated by a few authority figures at the meeting that the "model" for the uniform is the 81' look, it's still complete speculation at this point what the "final" product will look like.

Hey Jerry, I think this is great. I think that some of the detractors that have a concern this we will become “Star of Madison” don’t have a feel for how much of Madison’s heritage Jim understands, and was a part of. It sounds as if he really “gets it” as far as embracing the identity and history, while developing an implementation strategy to use it in the current landscape of the drum corps world.

I am really intrigued by the potential look and sound of the corps.

I also like the fact that there is a very realistic view of the time it will take and the fact that, for the first year, the staff wants to re-establish the brand, sound, and attitude as a starting point. I’m not so much worried about placement as I am about wowing the crowd, and getting them off their feet. I think drum corps in general might be surprised at how enthusiastically a show that plan old big and powerful with some blatant “Wow” moments will be received. It could be good for drum corps as a whole.