Randy Nelson with Colts

What kind of background checks are actually performed on all staff for corps, out of curiosity? I'm an educator and I got a state highway patrol and FBI check. Unless all DCI staff are subjected to that, DCI educators are not held to the same standard as even public teachers. I'd be curious as to the number of DUIs (for example) drum corps staff have out there, but something tells me that won't be made public knowledge anytime soon. That's a poor decision that actually puts other lives at risk, too. Again, just a small example.

If you don't want your kid around this person, good for you. I'd probably want to fork out the money to get individual background checks on all instructors before jumping to the conclusion that your kid won't be in the presence of somebody with a criminal background.

My corps uses a background check service to perform background checks on every staff member before they sign a contract. I'm not sure what the check consists of, but at least it's a step that I would hope all drum corps follow.

This is ridiculous. I taught Spirit with Randy for 3 years. He NEVER was anything but professional and if anything very smart about how we dealt with kids. He always had the kids best interest and always was extremely professional and worked his tail off when he was on tour.

I have NO reservations about Randy and teaching. No one knows the exact details of the situation and it really has no bearing on the Colts or anything else. I have recommended students from my school to the Colts and I would have no problem sending my own daughter to the Colts with Randy.

Unless you know specifics about anything you need to not pass judgement. People in glass houses should not throw stones. If you think you know about the situation and decide to post things on this forum your very unprofessional and I have no repsect for your opinion.

I would allow Randy to work with my group. Unless you have seen him interact with kids and staff you need to drop this subject and move on.

And bringing up "child molestation" is TOTALLY out of bounds. You just brought up something that NO ONE was accused of to sensationalize this.....the news story is out there and I do not believe it says anything about that....so thanks for slandering.

The Colts will fill the corps like they do every other year, and I suspect that under this guy's creative direction, their program may go further than it has in the past. All the while with nothing out of the ordinary happening between this guy and anyone else on staff.

This is ridiculous. I taught Spirit with Randy for 3 years. He NEVER was anything but professional and if anything very smart about how we dealt with kids. He always had the kids best interest and always was extremely professional and worked his tail off when he was on tour.

I have NO reservations about Randy and teaching. No one knows the exact details of the situation and it really has no bearing on the Colts or anything else. I have recommended students from my school to the Colts and I would have no problem sending my own daughter to the Colts with Randy.

Unless you know specifics about anything you need to not pass judgement. People in glass houses should not throw stones. If you think you know about the situation and decide to post things on this forum your very unprofessional and I have no repsect for your opinion.

I would allow Randy to work with my group. Unless you have seen him interact with kids and staff you need to drop this subject and move on.

And bringing up "child molestation" is TOTALLY out of bounds. You just brought up something that NO ONE was accused of to sensationalize this.....the news story is out there and I do not believe it says anything about that....so thanks for slandering.

First of all, why is it not ok to make a judgment call about a situation? Would you let your daughter go walking through a bad part of town at 1am? Now now, don't be so judgmental about low-income areas.

Secondly, if it's all roses and unicorns, then why did he mysteriously leave Spirit after the incident? Because he knew that it would at BEST be a distraction and at WORST a liability. If this had no bearing on him working in this situation, why did he resign his teaching job? I find it difficult to believe that I have to connect the dots here, but I guess so.

And I didn't slander anyone. I was posing a completely hypothetical situation to make a bigger point about accusations if anything WERE to happen.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

What kind of background checks are actually performed on all staff for corps, out of curiosity? I'm an educator and I got a state highway patrol and FBI check. Unless all DCI staff are subjected to that, DCI educators are not held to the same standard as even public teachers. I'd be curious as to the number of DUIs (for example) drum corps staff have out there, but something tells me that won't be made public knowledge anytime soon. That's a poor decision that actually puts other lives at risk, too. Again, just a small example.

If you don't want your kid around this person, good for you. I'd probably want to fork out the money to get individual background checks on all instructors before jumping to the conclusion that your kid won't be in the presence of somebody with a criminal background.

I'm not sure if a background check would detect a "no contest" plea. My guess is no. He still has his Florida teaching certificate (according the state website), so the "no contest" plea must have worked for him. I question his judgement. If the charges had been murder, robbing a bank, selling drugs, whatever-I question his judgement. No contest is not the same as not guilty. I'm all about redemption, but he was not interested in being found innocent. It appears he was interested in keeping his certificate. Unfortunately, this leaves doubt about his character. Doubt about his judgement. I understand that people with personal experience with him might find him a completely moral and professional person. But by pleading "no contest" he has left the door open to questions.

Edited by DAvery

For the record, murderers were also mentioned.

Bringing up child molestation is totally fine or completely uncalled for, depending on the context. The context was hypothetical, and is not defamatory.

Based on what I've been hearing from in this thread, the people that know him have a lot of respect for his character, which is really what is at question here. I believe that is valid.

Reminds me of this quote-

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." -Warren Buffett

For the record, murderers were also mentioned.

Bringing up child molestation is totally fine or completely uncalled for, depending on the context. The context was hypothetical, and is not defamatory.

Based on what I've been hearing from in this thread, the people that know him have a lot of respect for his character, which is really what is at question here. I believe that is valid.

Reminds me of this quote-

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." -Warren Buffett

It is slanderous...I dont recall molestation ever part of the charge. The context was not hypothetrical...read the comments.

And by the way he did not "leave" Spirit. He was on tour helping them this summer..I know because I was there.

First of all, why is it not ok to make a judgment call about a situation. Would you let your daughter go walking through a bad part of town at 1am? Now now, don't be so judgmental about low-income areas.

Secondly, if it's all roses and unicorns, then why did he mysteriously leave Spirit after the incident? Because he knew that it would at BEST be a distraction and at WORST a liability. If this had no bearing on him working in this situation, why did he resign his teaching job? I find it difficult to believe that I have to connect the dots here, but I guess so.

And I didn't slander anyone. I was posing a completely hypothetical situation to make a bigger point about accusations if anything WERE to happen.

What does low income areas and my daughter have anything to do with this? Are you really comparing this to a common sense decision? Really??

Its people like you who cause all the rumor mongering in this world. If you have a problem with it dont support the Colts then. But dont come on a public forum and start throwing words like "molestation" around. Its completely irresponsible.

Oh and by the way Mr. know it all he did not leave Spirit. he was working with them this summer. I know because I was there...were you? Oh wait you werent....so your statement is without merit also. He did not just disappear...he was working with them this summer.

You did slander him by bringing up child molestation. you implied there were issues with children which is totally unacceptable by bringing that up.

My point is your are making up hypothetical situations when there is no need to especially in a public forum.

I'm not sure if a background check would detect a "no contest" plea. My guess is no. He still has his Florida teaching certificate (according the state website), so the "no contest" plea must have worked for him. I question his judgement. If the charges had been murder, robbing a bank, selling drugs, whatever-I question his judgement. No contest is not the same as not guilty. I'm all about redemption, but he was not interested in being found innocent. It appears he was interested in keeping his certificate. Unfortunately, this leaves doubt about his character. Doubt about his judgement. I understand that people with personal experience with him might find him a completely moral and professional person. But by pleading "no contest" he has left the door open to questions.

I would disagree. Pleading no contest is just that. How do you know he was not interested in being found innocent? Did you speak to him...I thought not.

So once again your jumping to a conclusion.