Cadets New Logo

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw an ad for Ford using the same chevron/tire tread design. Cadet Tough?

Also, I thought the reason HNC changed names every few years was for bankruptcy reasons. Shrewd, not homeless.

I think we all realize the corps has had it's financial difficulties over time. Avoiding bankruptcy isn't something I would call SHREWD. Continually moving the organization to a new City or County or State is also NOT shrewd. Expecting the town you reside in to "do something for you" isn't shrewd either. The only thing YEA has done for the corps is set the foundation for a money machine that keeps them financially viable .. which is Shrewd.... and it was a long time coming. All the name changes and moves was nothing more than poor management and an inability to raise funds through consistent means. I'm still looking forward to a more organized USSBA as they continue to try and expand their network to other States. So far, it's been pretty haphazard at best.

If anything, a logo change only signals more changes to come ... and honestly that scares me.

I think we all realize the corps has had it's financial difficulties over time. Avoiding bankruptcy isn't something I would call SHREWD. Continually moving the organization to a new City or County or State is also NOT shrewd. Expecting the town you reside in to "do something for you" isn't shrewd either. The only thing YEA has done for the corps is set the foundation for a money machine that keeps them financially viable .. which is Shrewd.... and it was a long time coming. All the name changes and moves was nothing more than poor management and an inability to raise funds through consistent means. I'm still looking forward to a more organized USSBA as they continue to try and expand their network to other States. So far, it's been pretty haphazard at best.

If anything, a logo change only signals more changes to come ... and honestly that scares me.

What I don't understand is why there are 10 pages dedicated to this topic and there is another similar topic running here too. I know YEA and the Cadets don't like to acknowledge DCP and the postings sometimes, but you have to admit, it's where they get a ton of buzz, in or out of season.

If nothing else, Hop has shown in the past that once he makes a decision, he sticks with it no matter how much flak it generates.

Which explains their 2009 show, "Lenny". :inlove:

The logo's a little colorless to me (literally and figuratively), but if Hop and his Board like it, more power to them. Comes down to it, there are a handful of corps who have logos that we can remember (Vanguard, Boston, Bluecoats, Madison and Cavaliers are probably the best of the bunch), but most really aren't that strong. For ex, even though Devils won this year and I've been around drum corps 30+ years, I'm not sure I could correctly identify their current logo. They've never had a particularly strong branding image, but it hasn't seemed to hurt them.

Outside of lending themselves to logo-wear, logos don't serve THAT much of a purpose, since the scope of the branding that's possible for any corps is somewhat limited to the existing audience.

Edited by mobrien

So can anyone honestly tell me this:

If this was another corps who changed their logo, would people put down the corps and say some bad things about them? If it was Blue Devils, Crown, or Phantom no one would be putting them down.

They changed their logo for a new era in the corps. Too bad some people are too one-sided to see that.

If this was another corps who changed their logo, would people put down the corps and say some bad things about them? If it was Blue Devils, Crown, or Phantom no one would be putting them down.

They changed their logo for a new era in the corps. Too bad some people are too one-sided to see that.

Gotta disagree with you there. Even as a cadets fan, i think people would be pretty upset if any of the corps you mentioned changed their logo, especially as often as the cadets have done so.

The answer is YES. Not everyone was rosey about Bluecoats change a couple of years ago. The initial uniform change reaction has changed over time. Star received the same treatment for being the chameleon of DCI. Scouts uniform changes the past decade ......

It's not about the Cadets. Some of us have stronger feelings about the organization than others ... be that as it may, the Cadets aren't alone when it comes to scrutiny. Just ask BD.

As for my posts, I don't see anything in them that doesn't reflect factual information combined with my own personal opinion. When you make such decisions as public as the organization has (including inviting people to participate in the design), it opens the door for all opinions and creates buzz. I'm sure the buzz is all the corps really wanted to begin with. It's marketing 101. Not all posts or opinions will be positive. That's just the way it is.

Honestly, it's lame.

Do I like it? MEH!

Does it have a clean look that could easily represent "The Cadets"? Sure

Will a want a T-shirt or cap with that logo on it? NOPE!

From a corporate standpoint, is it a smart representation of the organization? Yes

Will this entice me to send money to the corps? No way.

Will this give the general public a better understanding of who "The Cadets" are? NO

My question is .... what's the point?

Running man was pretty cool .. even if it wasn't at the same angle as the original photo. Not to mention running man had a posture problem. In all honesty, no one has ever really cared about logos except for how they look on gear that we buy. With name changes every 10 - 15 years, all that has resulted is a killing of great brands like Garfield and CBC. At least those names showed ties to the community and were unmistakable with anything else. The Cadets on a google search brings up about 34,000 organizations that have nothing to do with drum corps. I also don't think it would be smart to call them The Cadets of Allentown .. or the Lehigh Valley Cadets. I still don't understand why YEA and the powers that be have continued to try to keep "The Cadets" as an extension of an organization that started and lived in New Jersey for more than 60 years. This logo change is just another example of how YEA and Hoppy have done everything in their power to eliminate their previous brand identification ... except when it is to their advantage to bring it back (HNC).

THE CADETS as a name is fine I guess. I don't see what all the hubbubb is with the logo. Just because Bluecoats did a nice job of branding themselves doesn't mean everyone has to do it. The best method of creating a brand for an organization or company is creating a legacy that lasts for generations .. that's based on your product, where you live and what you represent .... not on the packaging. That at least holds true in Drum Corps. It's not like you can put the logo on a billboard and expect people to subconsciously go out and buy your product .... your product relies on a fan base that buys tickets to see your show and buy your merch at the show or on your website ... people who actually care about this activity. Had you turned the chevrons the other way so it formed a G .. the haphazard fans out there would actually know who it belongs to .. because the G will always mean something to most all drum corps fan$ ... even the new ones.

Best of luck to YEA and The Cadets. If you interpret my rant as poison, you're wrong. It's just my honest feelings about an unnecessary change to a product that has already been diluted by change over the past 25 years. Good is good. And good does not = change in all cases. If this is to be the final product of the logo .. then stick with it ....... forever.

I personally like the new logo. I have always been a fan of "the Cadets of Bergen County" script. Change is a huge part of the Cadets, but Posture problems.... really, really...

I personally like the new logo. I have always been a fan of "the Cadets of Bergen County" script. Change is a huge part of the Cadets, but Posture problems.... really, really...

On the old logo my friend ... the LOGO!!! It didn't do the pic justice :)