Ornaments in Brass

If it doesn't hvae A Trumpet Christmas, what's the point?

He he. Nobody (and I mean nobody) tried harder than me to make this happen. In fact, for about a 10-year period, a group of three of us had permission from DCI to record encores. We traveled (we called it the yearly "encore tour") with a pair of high quality mics and tall stands and digitally recorded 10 years worth of stunning encores from all the top corps (and plenty of little corps too). Encores are without question the ideal way to record a corps... you have the audience excitement, plus the perfect mic positioning and powerful brass presence. And the corps are already there. What we collected over that 10-year period are, in my opinion (and the opinion of many others), the best drumcorps recordings ever made, and of course include many of the great corps signature tunes you refer to, as well as entire shows in a clean, studio-like setting, but with the excitement of a live performance. It was officially a DCI special project (although at my expense), and I always recorded with explicit written permission from DCI.

Where are all those recordings now? On my shelf. DCI came very close to releasing a CD of our encore recordings right after the 2000 season, since there had been two years in a row with a tie for first, and I had fantastic encore recordings of the four champions (SCV, BD, CBC, and Cavies) with full late-season shows and corps tunes for all four corps. The CD was to be called "Encore!". It was my understanding that one of the four corps vetoed it, but I don't know for sure.

There are many great ideas like this, but if they don't fit into the product lines of the corps, or if they are perceived as competing with existing products that corps rely on for fundraising, or even if they are simply outside the direct control of the corps themselves, they simply won't happen. It was a really fun project, and I am left with a collection of the very kinds of recordings I always wished I could buy. Some of them are really magical -- we had a great listening session last year at Skywalker Sound. Needless to say, we learned a lot about how to record drumcorps. But after 10 years of "encore tours" and really truly trying my hardest to make these available, I finally gave it up last year. Frankly, the corps have been abbreviating their encores lately, and amplification was wrecking havoc with the recordings anyways.

Oh man, what wouldn't I give for those recordings.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Oh man, what wouldn't I give for those recordings.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I think the better statement would be, what would I give for these recordings?

You don't want Ornaments in Brass on a CD.

All those corps on the recording used the old fashioned horns pitched in G.

You now the ones with the crappy sound, all wildly out of tune and what not.

Back when they relied on the contra line to make all the bass.

And they were so loud that recordings levels had to be adjusted down or they would have destroyed your stereo.

How quaint.

They should redo it with all the new corps with their Bb horns and their keyboardists that boost the bass sounds.

And maybe they can compress the heck out of it and only make it available as a downloaded mp3, so you don't accidentally get a full dynamic range or all of the tone quality the new horns supposedly provide.

And maybe a narrator would be effing sweet as well.

Now that would be something to hear!

• Like 1

• 13 years later...

Playlist created on YouTube with all of these recordings.  If you have others you would like me to add to the Playlist, let me know and I will add them.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/2/2009 at 1:57 PM, Geneva said:

I would like more information about Northern Aurora. I never saw this corps.

they used to be the Saganaires, changed names in the mid to late 80's

36 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

they used to be the Saganaires, changed names in the mid to late 80's

Unless you competed against them, in which case they were the Saggy-Baggies

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Unless you competed against them, in which case they were the Saggy-Baggies

Who eventually became Noxious Aroma. 😄

• Haha 2