New "Inside the Arc" column from Frank Dorritie

... there'll be specific acoustic articles coming from a number of sources, including Frank. So he'll have more to say on the subject.

Looking forward to some thoughful input from Frank and the rest of that team - but this article still feels to me like a distraction/deflation tactic to me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they added all these things (synths and junk) to allow the design teams of corps to be ‘more creative’ and now they suggest corps tailor their shows to the acoustical dynamic of the Oily Echo Dome, narrowing their palette and limiting creativity?

OK

Nice philosophical 180

So that quip about overwriting, that’s irony, right? Just like comment about you would not like drum corps in a desert is a joke because the Oily Echo Dome is a desert, little to no precipitation

I don't 'get it'

So they added all these things (synths and junk) to allow the design teams of corps to be ‘more creative’ and now they suggest corps tailor their shows to the acoustical dynamic of the Oily Echo Dome, narrowing their palette and limiting creativity?

There are times I vehemently disagree with what you write . . .

. . .this, however, is not one of those times.

It's a funny turnabout in the "creativity" argument, isn't it?

There are times I vehemently disagree with what you write . . .

. . .this, however, is not one of those times.

It's a funny turnabout in the "creativity" argument, isn't it?

hysterical actually

I think Frank's just being tongue-in-cheek, saying to all the amateur critics out here, Lighten Up, Francis, and don't lose sight of historical perspective. Nothing more. I wouldn't try to make the Magna Carta out of it.

Look, there's only so much they can do. We all know it and so do they. They're not going to rewrite the rules to make the fans happy, at least not the segment of fans represented on DCP, which they don't seem to regard as a valid cross-section of their paying customer base. Frank Dorrittie and the people in the DCI office don't write the rules, anyway. The corps directors do, with help from a few people they want to listen to, which ain't us. There are some inexpensive and temporary things they can try to make the sound in LOS better, with help from consultants like Frank, but if you really are unhappy with the indoor sound of amped/synthed drum corps, as am I, anything they try isn't likely to fix the problem entirely to your satisfaction, either. So at some point you make your choices and go from there.

Edited by Peel Paint

There's nothing like hearing a solid brass line on a cool crisp summer night at an outdoor venue. I saw the Sunrisers at a Hurcs home show back in the 70's. When they executed the opening hit (Crown Imperial) they almost knocked me out of my seat. I thought that they even did it better than 27 (I still get in trouble for saying that to this day.) It's hard to imagine that in a dome. :thumbdown:

I marched with Sun that year (1979). Thanks for the compliment!

I gotta admit, though... our horn line was better the year before...1978. Good in '79.... great in '78, IMO.

Fran

The column was published as-submitted by Mr. Dorritie.

"Inside the Arc @ VFW & The Dream":

Franks reminises of long ago legendary championship contests are priceless. I was at both the VFW (MacCormick Place rainout venue )& that other years "Dream" and his short summaries brought back a FLOOD of wonderfull memories. :doh:

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!! :thumbup:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01