Corps' Related Tattoo

166 members have voted

1. 1. If The Person Never Marched, Should They Get A Corps Related Tattoo?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I currently have one tattoo. A ribbon on my left shoulder.

It is in memory of a former band member that got shot in a hunting accident.

I will NEVER regret getting that tattoo.

I also have one, which I will never regret getting. It's a reminder of the promise I made to myself that I would be true to myself and to stay straightedge.

Granted I have seen a lot of tattoos that I would never want on me, but I feel that condemning every tattoo is wrong.

I also have one, which I will never regret getting. It's a reminder of the promise I made to myself that I would be true to myself and to stay straightedge.

Granted I have seen a lot of tattoos that I would never want on me, but I feel that condemning every tattoo is wrong.

Indeed...mine's a memorial to a beloved pet...nothing wrong with that.

Clarification: I have my favorite corps, but I don't think that I'd go as far as getting a logo inked on me.

Just felt like this would be a good talking point amidst the "moronic/ionic/ironic/iconic" show threads.

You forgot "laconic"

You forgot "laconic"

Can't win em all.

no because the meaning behind the tattoo is more symbolic to me personally then the actual tattoo. and to just have a tattoo of a corps cuz you're a fan is just lame and majorly bando cuz you don't have the meaning behind it aside from oh i really like watching that corps.

I don't see a problem with it. I'm not a tattoo guy, but if I see a guy walking down the street with a seattle seahawks tattoo on his arm, I won't be bothered knowing he never played for the football team. He got the tattoo because he's a fan and that's his way of showing the world he supports that team. Not my choice of support, but he's a fan, all the same. Although I'm comparing professional sports to non-profits marching arts, a fan is a fan.

If it were a drum corps tattoo, I think ONLY us who have marched (as some here have mentioned) would recognize it and bring it up in conversation. I think it would be foolish to question someone if they had a tattoo for a corps they did not march in, just the same as if you were to question someone with a tattoo of anything else. A tattoo is a way people like to express themselves, and many times, people with tattoos are misunderstood and misrepresented by their appearances alone. Plus, it may be a great conversation starter if you see a stranger that has one. Just politely asking something like "I like your tattoo... what does it mean?" and that can lead to "yeah, I marched with so-and-so..." or "yeah, I am a huge fan of this drum corps called so-and-so....".

Where do you draw the line? What if there's a disabled person who is a fan of the Cadets, yet they are unable to march? They go to shows. Buy t-shirts. Buy DVDs. What if they were such a huge fan, they wanted to get a tattoo of the logo...... would that be considered a faux pas? It wouldn't even have to be a disabled person, but anyone who couldn't march that wished they could have, or even people who just really like one corps.

If they are a fan of drum corps and/or a fan of a particular corps, I'd say it's ok to get a tattoo if they really want to.

That is a fun question...

If it's projected that 50% of marriages will end in divorce I don't think getting a tattoo of a wife would be a good idea. Ever. Especially not a new one.

I think it's more likely that I'd still like my dream corps 20 years from now than I'd still be married. Happily married is a completely other story too...

(I'd never get a tattoo of any organization I wasn't personally a part of. Just clarifying before someone takes that too seriously)

I think it's a wash. 50% of the drum corps back when I marched 20 years ago have folded. :worthy:

no because the meaning behind the tattoo is more symbolic to me personally then the actual tattoo. and to just have a tattoo of a corps cuz you're a fan is just lame and majorly bando cuz you don't have the meaning behind it aside from oh i really like watching that corps.

Your argument is invalid because you actually used "cuz" in your post. That and the lack of capitalization at the beginning of the sentence and for I.

:worthy:

But seriously, it doesn't help your cause.

Where do you draw the line? What if there's a disabled person who is a fan of the Cadets, yet they are unable to march? They go to shows. Buy t-shirts. Buy DVDs. What if they were such a huge fan, they wanted to get a tattoo of the logo...... would that be considered a faux pas? It wouldn't even have to be a disabled person, but anyone who couldn't march that wished they could have, or even people who just really like one corps.

Excellent question.

Imagine being able to look at a tattoo and see inside someone else's heart.

HH