Lucas Oil Stadium Director Discusses 'Sound Ideas'

Obviously, every football field is not the same. Most have fine acoustics for drum corps. DCI managed to pick a truly wretched one for finals over a 10-year lease. To their credit, they have acknowledged the problem and are hopefully looking for solutions. I know it's crazy of some of us to hope that it will involve more than adding more curtains or having the judges say how wonderful everything is while at the same time going out of their way to talk about how LOS officials are completely aware of how wretched it is acoustically and the measures they're talking to remedy it...which involves more curtains and special tweaking of a mountain of amps to compensate the problems.

No need for the histrionic spiel about Carnegie Hall or suggestions of building special football fields to get a concert sound. Exactly nobody is suggesting or asking for that. I'll take having finals at the other 99.9% of stadiums that have always sounded fine.

good use of that word this time. definitely a negative connotation.

paging Bill Cook...paging Bill Cook.

I'd take the parking lot at LOS over the dome.

i'd take the convention hall/ballroom in my hotel over LOS. hell, i'd even go for Circle Center Mall.

LOS has a parking lot???? :thumbup:

yeah, on the South side (iirc).

Edited by chaos001

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your opinion would be quite incorrect. I joined this forum during the summer while on tour.

It's interesting how when someone disagrees, personal sniping becomes the norm. That's the main reason I don't bother with many online forums as this is too often the case.

I never said that the sound was perfect in LOS. I also listed several other stadiums that have pretty decent acoustics. Actually my favorite sound in a stadium was Harvard quite a few years ago.

My point is that to beat the sound issue to death is pointless since, again, it's a football stadium. It was built to be a football stadium. It will never be anything but a football stadium regardless of what happens inside. Colts fans can complain all they want as the stadium was built for that team. DCI is merely a guest, sure, a paying guest, but a guest nonetheless.

With all the issues facing drum corps these days, complaining about the sound in one football stadium is really a waste of time and energy. Why not spend that time and energy trying to improve the activity in general for the benefit of all?

I don't know why people continue to feel the need to tell folks when they can and cannot complain about something. I'd say anyone who has purchased a ticket to watch an event in that venue (be it drum corps or not) has every right to complain about their experience. Hell, even those who haven't stepped foot in the venue, though it would have little merit.

Telling people they can't complain is even more a waste of time and energy. Constructive criticism is beneficial to the activity. Simply claiming everything is alright doesn't help anyone out.

Edited by dcsnare93

I don't know why people continue to feel the need to tell folks when they can and cannot complain about something. I'd say anyone who has purchased a ticket to watch an event in that venue (be it drum corps or not) has every right to complain about their experience. Hell, even those who haven't stepped foot in the venue, though it would have little merit.

Telling people they can't complain is even more a waste of time and energy. Constructive criticism is beneficial to the activity. Simply claiming everything is alright doesn't help anyone out.

I think you are missing the intent: the poster never said people can't complain: he merely stipulated that it was pointless to complain, because DCI is not going to change venues.

I think what needs to be done is to have the Trans-Siberian Orchestra perform a concert at Lucas Oil Stadium, one day before DCI Championships are to begin.

The TSO will blow the roof right off the place. :thumbup:

Fran

I think you are missing the intent: the poster never said people can't complain: he merely stipulated that it was pointless to complain, because DCI is not going to change venues.

"Colts fans can complain all they want as the stadium was built for that team. DCI is merely a guest, sure, a paying guest, but a guest nonetheless."

That sort of reads as we (DCI fans) are not worthy of being vocal of our displeasure, which I disagree, even if the Colts are the stadium's major tenant.

Even if that wasn't the original intent, I still disagree with its proposed intent. There is nothing wrong with complaining. As most organizations have learned, a complaining customer is your most important customer. If no one were to ever vocalize their displeasure, then things would never improve (and we wouldn't see DCI working with LOS to improve the stadium's acoustics). That's not to say DCP is exactly the best platform to vocalize such displeasure; although, the new "Inside the Arc" columns here on DCP certainly show they're listening.

Edited by dcsnare93

So... about the curtains... I'm pretty sure they won't work... at least that is what some people who claim to know a thing about acoustics say on here. So... who is telling DCI that more curtain will work?

Seriously... the ONLY solution is to move out. It is nice to see that they are trying to make it work. It really is a nice stadium... just not for drum corps. In fact, there should be NO indoor stadiums. Plenty of other places to have a regional in Texas and Georgia, OUTSIDE. OH and in Indiana? I think this town called Bloomington has a great stadium, not to mention all of the other great stadiums and potentially great stadiums in the world. Honestly, I don't give a #### if DCI loses a lot of money in the deal, it will probably be less than the amount of money they will lose staying at LOS. It is unacceptable for the venue that hosts our biggest events to suck that much.

not that i've mentioned it before or anything, but it wouldn't it be a great idea to move marching music's major league's biggest event to

lpfield.jpg

MUSIC CITY USA????!!!

<not to mention that it would be completely and totally uber convenient to me>

Edited by chaos001