• 1986 BD
    • 1987 Cadets
    • 1988 Madison
    • 1989 SCV

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY perfect percussion score in DCI history.

87 Cadets. Great show, and I think a mello soloist with only (someone help me here) one hand and some sort of fake hand???? I believe I saw this in the video.

You're mixing up your years. Barbara Moroney (the Cadets' mello soloist with an artificial arm) was their lead soloist in 83 and 84. She was gone by 87. Which is a pretty great show, even though, seriously, a 30 in drums? Please.

Edited by tommytimp

I'm flabbergasted SCV 89 is winning this.

I voted for Garfield 84. HM to BD 82/86 for crushing domination.

'Best Champion' is a pretty vague term. The '82 Blue Devils had one of the best horn lines ever; the '88 Scouts could be considered a great champion for coming out of nowhere to win despite not winning any captions. And while I love SCV's '89 show, they weren't the best corps that night - it was Phantom's New World Symphony. In fact, I think SCV's 1987 show was even better than 1989, and they came in second to Garfield by just .1!

1984 Cadets was an awesome show, but tough to judge since I marched that year. Also marched 1987 Cadets - I know we had a great show, but it wasn't the best Cadets show of the decade IMO. For me, the best Champion was the 1983 GARFIELD CADETS. Not only did they go undefeated that season, but THAT show is the one that changed drum corps forever. 1983 Garfield was more than drum corps, with a drill and musical book that was years ahead of the competition and redefined what drum corps could be. It turned marching & music into an artform, and forced the drum corps community to evolve to the next level. Because of this, I voted for the Cadets of 1983.

But if I had to vote for my favorite, it would have to be 1989 Phantom!!!!

How about some love for SCV 1981! Finished as champs following a poor finish in 1980. Young Persons Guide to Drum Corps has to be a winner. :cry:

For me, without any doubt, the 1986 Blue Devils. The last 90 seconds of that show is probably my favorite 90 seconds of drum corps music, ever. The last minute of 1988 Madison is right up there too. It's all about the music for me.

Meh, not the "best" version of Phantom of the Opera from SCV, and not the best champion of the '80s.