What is missing from Drum Corps today

Is G to Bb really a major change??? Not surprised this finally made the thread, hahaha... but I do not think it is a really big change. Just horns in a different key.. with a slightly different sound. Very common in the music world. I'm not hear to argue that though. This doesn't have to do with the entertainment value.

We don't need G bugles to have entertaining shows, we don't need to unplug everything to have entertaining shows (I will never be pro synth in drum corps). The problem lies solely in show design. If you gave one of today's corps an early 90's show, I'm pretty sure they could kick ### with it, and possibly make it more entertaining with the excellence shows are performed with today. Today's marching members are not given a book that they can really perform and connect to the crowd with. Of course this doesn't apply to all corps all the time. Crown and Phantom (minus 09(IMO)) have pretty much figured it out this decade. And then there is a small handful who get it every other year or so. The change has to come in design... and possibly judging.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need G bugles to have entertaining shows, we don't need to unplug everything to have entertaining shows

Be careful when passing off opinion as fact. :laughing:

Be careful when passing off opinion as fact. :laughing:

Isn't that the thing to do on DCP?

Tell that to the Renegades or SoCal Dream...or the Commandant's Own.

Watch Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, SCV, Cadets, etc. You do not NEED G bugles to have entertaining shows.

Ever hear of the fable of the fox(?) dropping pebbles in a half filled bucket to get water. One pebble didn't make a difference but if he kept dropping the pebbles eventually the water got to the top and he could drink.

To apply here: One "small" additional cost doesn't make "that" much of a difference but keep adding more and more "small" expenses and eventually the budget is broken. Especially for the "lesser" corps that don't get the sweetheart deals. And if you don't have as many toys as the top corps then you are seen as not doing as much and your score (and recruitment) is hurt.

IOW - DCI has been nickle and dimeing the corps for the last few years..... But of course some people think the ONLY reason why corps fail is bad management. :laughing:

I've heard this argument about "sweetheart deals" several times before on DCP. I'd sure like for you to post facts that are verifiable to represent "sweetheart deals".

Would you, please?

The top corps do usually house closer to, or at show sites. We had two hour drives to most shows as a "lower tier" corps. That adds a lot to the cost of a summer. DCI usually sets up most of the housing. Has nothing to do with the design of a show though.

I've heard this argument about "sweetheart deals" several times before on DCP. I'd sure like for you to post facts that are verifiable to represent "sweetheart deals".

Would you, please?

Do you think the Cadets and Cavaliers pay Yamaha the same price for a set of tenors, or a snare drum, as the Racine Scouts have to pay for the same equipment?

You're right we don't need G bugles, or synths or anything else to create an entertaining and engaging show . . .these tools (Bb, amps, electronics) exist now, and if you can create something great with them, then by all means, let's see it.

There's just so much that ends up being paint-by-numbers, or is "different" just for faux depths sake that we're left with an activity that is too afraid to do much more than navel-gaze or try to crib from another circuit.

There's so much to do and so much to try; I'm far from creative on the design front, but think about what could be done:

- go big with electronics and do a "Fifth Element" show; can you imagine the ballad/drum feature that "Lucia de Lammermoor/Diva Dance" would be? Sure, you'd need a ####### amazing vocal soloist, but isn't drum corps about the best of the best? That would absolutely blow people away at a primal, "how the #### did that happen?" level.

- if visual is king now, then let's see the ultimate end-all of that one year. . .and actually put a play/oratorio on the field. Not something as cloying as Cadets 2008, but screw the scores and make a 40 person horn line the equivalent of a play "chorus", drop the battery and only have the pit percussion, and commit the rest to a huge choir, a large guard and actors. What if parts of "Belshazzars Feast" were staged this way, complete with vocal soloists and antiphonal brass? "Nixon In China"? "Rent"?

If you want these tools, then, by Lord, commit to them and create something ####### amazing out there. Make the production so amazing that it drags us kicking and screaming along with you for the ride.

Do it! :laughing:

God I hate coming into a good thread late. Where were all of you during the holidays when I actually had time contribute/respond?

Hop has guts to put the comments in play, good for him. After all these years of disagreeing and arguing with him on the very same points it's kinda heartening.

Quickly:

Some of my favourite pieces drum corps intorduced me to were wind/band charts. Rocky Point, anyone got a better, more complete opening piece? Sorry, your fav still lacks.

As several have said, It's not the choice of music, its the arranging choices, that and letting the drill folks rule.

Money does talk, but biggger chunks of it on the line at one time get more attention, even if the smaller chunks over time add up to a fortune in lost revenue.

Hey, I'm a drummer and I can tell the difference between Bflat and G.

And to whoever it was that said you can't measure audience connection relative to professional careers, tell that to the bank accounts of those who last. You sure can measure it.

Dave and Jeff you guys rock.

Regards,

John