Did Neil Peart ever march

Does anyone know if Neil Peart ever marched? I remember hearing back in the day that he marched w/Seneca Opimists.

-

And why doesn't anyone seem to dress as Santa for Halloween?

Edited by damjiboo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if Neil Peart ever marched? I remember hearing back in the day that he marched w/Seneca Opimists.

I am pretty sure he grew up in the St. Catharines/Niagara area....there were a bunch of jr. corps in the area back in the mid-60's and it is possible he marched with one of the high school corps, Dennis Morris Majestics or Grantham Police Boys...but none of the people I know from that era are able to confirm he ever played drum corps. Seneca didn't come along until the mid-70's and I believe Neil was well into his career then?

Neil Peart never marched.

Neil Peart never marched.

Yeah. I seem to remember him saying in an interview that he was aware of drum corps and admired it, but that he had not marched.

he said in one of his books he was in "the drum corps" but i took that to mean it was his school drumline, not an actual corps

he said in one of his books he was in "the drum corps" but i took that to mean it was his school drumline, not an actual corps

Hi Jeff...you would have to look long and hard to find any Canadian High School with a marching band program. I can only think of 2 or 3 and none were in the area (Niagara/St. Catharines) where I understand Peart grew up. Marching Band never really caught on in most of Canada. A couple high schools had drum corps or bugle bands as part of their Army Cadet programs in the early 60's and several from the area were very active in the early 60's. The high school "drumline" is just starting to catch on now in our area with a couple schools featuring movie style "Drumlines" in area parades.I guess someone will have to ask Neil what he meant by that. Wonder if he has a website where he might respond to questions??

I could swear that about 20 years ago, Al Murray told me that he marched in a line (somewhere) with Neil. But then again, I may be having a senior moment......

I know for sure he didn't march in Seneca and doubt he marched at all. Bruce is right, I myself, have never heard of a school in Canada

with a marching band... We were all about drum corps...

Hi Jeff...you would have to look long and hard to find any Canadian High School with a marching band program. I can only think of 2 or 3 and none were in the area (Niagara/St. Catharines) where I understand Peart grew up. Marching Band never really caught on in most of Canada. A couple high schools had drum corps or bugle bands as part of their Army Cadet programs in the early 60's and several from the area were very active in the early 60's. The high school "drumline" is just starting to catch on now in our area with a couple schools featuring movie style "Drumlines" in area parades.I guess someone will have to ask Neil what he meant by that. Wonder if he has a website where he might respond to questions??

i'll have to dig the book up and double check. he does have a website, neilpeart.net, but I don't remember seeing anything there