Exploring the attitudes of fans on Indianapolis 2009-2018

C'mon, lighten up. The subject validity will be proven by the responses, not based on your chiding.

My opinion is that you should stop reading his posts (and certainly stop posting to them!)

Your opinion has been read and given the consideration it deserves. :blink:

And you said chiding.

Edited by SFZFAN

Why go there every year? Because thats were it is. I pick going to more shows over the summer rather than just that last week of chaos, except for last year and I won't be back to Lucas. I like to hear and see the shows with little distraction as possible and the sounbds and sights from my seats aren't worth going back for.

I think that the downside about holding DCI in the same city year after year is that it makes the experience of attending a particular year of DCI less unique .. and the activity takes one more step towards becoming homogenous, which has been DCI's main marketing issue, IMO, over the last 10 years or so.

Everyone who has been around for years remembers a special end of summer at DCI in Madison, or Jackson, or Montreal etc. ... now, those individual memories have been replaced by repeated excursions to a city that is perceived as a not-so-exciting place that few people have on their "places to see before I die list."

Couple this with the fact that many drum corps look and sound the same these days, and we have unintentionally taken just a little bit of the heart and fun out of the drum corps activity that we all love so much. Maybe it's is time to look at the marketing of drum corps on a different scale and in a different manner if we want the fan base to expand, no?

Just my .07 --

Lee Rudnicki

If we were talking about a great stadium with great sound, I would return for championships. However, the sound was horrible. Indy was fun, but not enough to keep me going back for so many years in a row. Factor in cost, and Allentown will most likely be my last show of the season. I agree with you that I think the chances are great that we will see greatly dwindling attendance as we go down the road some years in Indy.

You had mentioned Orlando, which was interesting. I loved it, because I like Disney and Universal, and I could do those things and still do drum corps without a problem. However, the cost for 1 is bad enough, but very expensive for a family to deal with those tickets and drum corps tickets, never mind parking, food, lodging, travel, etc..... I enjoyed it, but I know that for many, once was enough. Conversely, I enjoyed Madison, but didn't do much outside of drum corps. Great stadium for corps, though. However, I know fans who would go there every year if repeated there.

Again, I agree that with this Lucas venue, the chance of declining attendance each year is substantial.

GB

I am not buying a ticket for an indoor drum corps show. That is my attitude toward Indy. The fact that the championships for an outdoor activity is inside is ridiculous. Well, if you think it's an outdoor activity. DCI will soon be classified as an indoor activity that rehearses outside due to space constraints and has podunk shows that don't matter outside (who cares what you score in an outdoor stadium when the competitions that matter are indoors?), while all of the important competitions take place indoors.

Edited by soccerguy315

Indy 500 - ALWAYS in Indianapolis.

Kentucky Derby - ALWAYS in Louisville

Little League World Series - ALWAYS in Williamsport

Daytona 500 - ALWAYS in Daytona

The Masters - ALWAYS in Augusta

Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest - ALWAYS in Coney Island

I seem to think "that" formula can work.

:smile:

OK..how about:

Super Bowl-moves every year

MLB World Series-moves every year

Stanley Cup--moves every year

Olympic games (Summer or Winter)-moves every four years

THAT formula seems to work quite well!!!! :devil:

Well, Grump . . .

you are correct on two accounts. The other two events are participant-based. My point was, DCI decided to execute a multi-year agreement with a "willing" host. The agreement made lots of sense to DCI from a financial standpoint. Time will tell if DCI was correct. Too early to throw out the concept.

As I stated before, I have attended the past 10 Indy 500 events and am still not tired of that city. A regular location CAN work for enough enthusiasts for DCI to continue.

Here's the kicker. I do not plan to attend DCI Indy this summer. For my money, I need more stand-up and cheer (goosebump) moments to justify the expense. Right now, I don't get that from DCI, but that's just me. Thousands of others are thrilled, and that's a good thing. I look forward to the day when I DO want to attend the event. That day will come, and I'll attend no matter where it is.

they all have better venues