DCP No Longer Important?

When I marched we didn't even have drum corps!

Or so I'm told by some nice people on here that marched before me :laughing:

Thank god for that....otherwise we wouldnt even know what we missed all this time!

Drum corps is important?

In the end, it's just f-ing marching band.

Always has been, always will be.

In the end, it's just f-ing marching band.

Always has been, always will be.

QFT.

Nah. Not really.

Then why are you here?

Perhaps 5% is a better number. But again, highly speculative. There are a few hundred hard core posters, probably a couple of thousand who have reached "veteran" status . . . these are the real DCPers.

But the number, whether it's .00001%, or something more reasonable, is misleading. While DCPers may be fewer in number, you can rest assured that they spend far more money, and remain fans of drum corps for far longer, than friends and families of members, band kids, and the mysterious, elusive "casual fan".

Also, they typically represent the views of a greater audience out there. Actually, the older ones here are the ones who really care. Most everyone else has left the activity for good.

(Rifuarian @ Jan 23 2010, 10:34 PM)

Perhaps 5% is a better number. But again, highly speculative. There are a few hundred hard core posters, probably a couple of thousand who have reached "veteran" status . . . these are the real DCPers.

But the number, whether it's .00001%, or something more reasonable, is misleading. While DCPers may be fewer in number, you can rest assured that they spend far more money, and remain fans of drum corps for far longer, than friends and families of members, band kids, and the mysterious, elusive "casual fan".

Also, they typically represent the views of a greater audience out there. Actually, the older ones here are the ones who really care. Most everyone else has left the activity for good.

Both of these statements are HIGHLY speculative, and show MUCH arrogance if the posters a) believe that the majority of DCP (and therefor drum corps fans) share their opinions of drum corps, and spend more money and are b) "the ones who REALLY care" about drum corps.

I really wish people around here would stop preaching their own personal values and ideals of drum corps as gospel and unquestioned absolute truth: we are talking about OPINION. There are zero legit studies done on age demographics of the average fan who attends shows, how many of them are frequent readers/posters on DCP, how much money the average DCP person spends on DCI vs. the average non-DCP drum corps fan who attends DCI shows, etc. You guys are talking literal nonsense, and trying (believing?) that it is factual.

And THAT type of posting/thought process is EXACTLY why DCP is not important. Is it entertaining? Yes. Is it sometimes a good place to debate show designs, talk about likes/dislikes, etc? Yes. But it's not important in the grand scheme of the operation and creative evolution of the activity. It's nothing more than a (small) group of people's opinions. DCP is not some revolutionary absolute opinion of the activity, and it's interesting to note that much of the dissent on this forum is dissent of people who have little do with the activity (DCI) on an active level other than possibly buying tickets (i.e. most of the people who complain about the direction of the activity are not current marching members, instructors, designers, directors, board members, or even volunteers for DCI corps).