DCP No Longer Important?

Both of these statements are HIGHLY speculative, and show MUCH arrogance if the posters a) believe that the majority of DCP (and therefor drum corps fans) share their opinions of drum corps, and spend more money and are b) "the ones who REALLY care" about drum corps.

I really wish people around here would stop preaching their own personal values and ideals of drum corps as gospel and unquestioned absolute truth: we are talking about OPINION. There are zero legit studies done on age demographics of the average fan who attends shows, how many of them are frequent readers/posters on DCP, how much money the average DCP person spends on DCI vs. the average non-DCP drum corps fan who attends DCI shows, etc. You guys are talking literal nonsense, and trying (believing?) that it is factual.

And THAT type of posting/thought process is EXACTLY why DCP is not important. Is it entertaining? Yes. Is it sometimes a good place to debate show designs, talk about likes/dislikes, etc? Yes. But it's not important in the grand scheme of the operation and creative evolution of the activity. It's nothing more than a (small) group of people's opinions. DCP is not some revolutionary absolute opinion of the activity, and it's interesting to note that much of the dissent on this forum is dissent of people who have little do with the activity (DCI) on an active level other than possibly buying tickets (i.e. most of the people who complain about the direction of the activity are not current marching members, instructors, designers, directors, board members, or even volunteers for DCI corps).

That's just a touch dramatic. What personal values were I preaching? Being pro-synth, pro-amp, pro-B flat, a fan of the Blue Knights, and a fan of BD's last 3 shows, and being well under 30 I don't really fit the stereotype overly-sensitive instructors tend to apply to DCP. Saying that DCPers, one the whole, spend more money and time on drum corps than other classes of fans has nothing to do with either a traditional or a progressive viewpoint -- the dedicated fans who post here embrace all viewpoints -- it's bleeding common sense. I never made a claim to scientific accuracy, and I certainly didn't claim that DCPers represent the views of the wider audience -- that's definitely false. But when it comes to the type of fan who follows drum corps for decades (as opposed to a few years), attends multiple shows a year, attends finals for years on end, buys dozens of legacy DVDs, and so on . . . DCP is as close as you'll come to representative.

Amazing how long this topic has remained in the WRONG section even with all the moderators taking notice.

just saying.......

Of course you are wrong, you should read some of the wrong stuff I posted 2 years ago. That was the most untrue. If you dont mind peaking my intrest of what is so untrue to you that would be nice.

Peace!

in the scope of if life goes on or not, yes you are right DCP is unimportant.

there is many non happy things that get posted here that mods allow to go on for pages. the Cap Regiment thread. the thread last spring about the now former YEA intern. synths, amps, woodwinds, Lucas Oil Stadium, Hopkins, the BD 07 flirtation with illegalities in the pit...yeah you're wrong with what I could come up with off the top of my head.

the mods here have no serious connection to any DCI powers that be. In fact, I'm sure most of our mods could walk up to Dan Acheson, introduce themselves, and get that blank stare as in "ok, and you are?...."

the mods are quite willing to let things go until the posters themselves start attacking each other, or a blatant lie is uncovered.

so minus one point, you were as incorrect as incorrect can be

Nah. Not really.

ok...then since all you do is come on here and mock people and corps...why do you come here if it isn't important?

Both of these statements are HIGHLY speculative, and show MUCH arrogance if the posters a) believe that the majority of DCP (and therefor drum corps fans) share their opinions of drum corps, and spend more money and are b) "the ones who REALLY care" about drum corps.

I really wish people around here would stop preaching their own personal values and ideals of drum corps as gospel and unquestioned absolute truth: we are talking about OPINION. There are zero legit studies done on age demographics of the average fan who attends shows, how many of them are frequent readers/posters on DCP, how much money the average DCP person spends on DCI vs. the average non-DCP drum corps fan who attends DCI shows, etc. You guys are talking literal nonsense, and trying (believing?) that it is factual.

And THAT type of posting/thought process is EXACTLY why DCP is not important. Is it entertaining? Yes. Is it sometimes a good place to debate show designs, talk about likes/dislikes, etc? Yes. But it's not important in the grand scheme of the operation and creative evolution of the activity. It's nothing more than a (small) group of people's opinions. DCP is not some revolutionary absolute opinion of the activity, and it's interesting to note that much of the dissent on this forum is dissent of people who have little do with the activity (DCI) on an active level other than possibly buying tickets (i.e. most of the people who complain about the direction of the activity are not current marching members, instructors, designers, directors, board members, or even volunteers for DCI corps).

Sounds like you've just described DCP here( correctly, in my view ) as just like all of the thousands of sports and sport's teams fans message boards in America. ( except perhaps that those sports fans team discussion boards are way... WAAAY.... more critical of their team, players, coaches, commisioners, owners, refs, other teams, other fans, etc than DCP could EVER be)

Edited by BRASSO

wrong again.

what awful comment towards the KIDS have I ever made ? FanofNight . :smile: :smile:

most participating in DCI do not read DCP on the road. Now most corps ban the members from posting on DCP. :smile: :smile:

Its an alumni haven. :smile::ph34r:

you give it to much credit.

DCP SHOULD get credit though. It balances well free expression and censorship.

If a college QB has a sub par football game, afterwards that teams fans sports message board will be fiiled up routinely with fans saying.... " Man, our QB sucks "..... our.... " get rid of the staff. They really suck for putting that crap out on the field "...... " their ( or our ) fans are pitiful , they suck "........ and so forth. Happens ALL the time.

By contrast ( and for some perspectrive )can you imagine if in DCI, a soloist from a Corps fraked a note, and a poster on here commented, "That soloist really sucks "...... or..." that Corps really sucks"..... or..." get rid of the Corps staff. They really suck for putting that crap out on the field"...... or " fans of_ Corps really suck " and so forth ? Well, you just know it would be delted as many people here would just about have a stroke if that was said and then allowed to remain on DCP.

For perspective, DCP is as tame as it comes compared to 99% of the thousands of sports fans boards out there. ( and keep in mind, the college players are sometimes younger than some of the DCI marchers too ) Even the Uconn Women's Basketball team has MUCH worse things said about them on Women College Basketball discussion boards ( and somewhat surprsingly with much of the nasty things said by women too ) than almost ANYTHING said about a DCI Corps, or marchers, or other fans, etc here on DCP.

Edited by BRASSO

DCP doesn't matter. It has never mattered. Half the crap on here is just b.s. brought up by idiotic fans with the intention of pissing other people off. I come here to get my laughs.

Don't worry the laughs go both ways.... :smile:

LOL, maybe I'll have posts deleted twice within the last few days....

DCP SHOULD get credit though. It balances well free expression and censorship.

If a college QB has a sub par football game, afterwards that teams fans sports message board will be fiiled up routinely with fans saying.... " Man, our QB sucks "..... our.... " get rid of the staff. They really suck for putting that crap out on the field "...... " their ( or our ) fans are pitiful , they suck "........ and so forth. Happens ALL the time.

By contrast ( and for some perspectrive )can you imagine if in DCI, a soloist from a Corps fraked a note, and a poster on here commented, "That soloist really sucks "...... or..." that Corps really sucks"..... or..." get rid of the Corps staff. They really suck for putting that crap out on the field"...... or " fans of_ Corps really suck " and so forth ? Well, you just know it would be delted as many people here would just about have a stroke if that was said and then allowed to remain on DCP.

For perspective, DCP is as tame as it comes compared to 99% of the thousands of sports fans boards out there. ( and keep in mind, the college players are sometimes younger than some of the DCI marchers too ) Even the Uconn Women's Basketball team has MUCH worse things said about them on Women College Basketball discussion boards ( and somewhat surprsingly with much of the nasty things said by women too ) than almost ANYTHING said about a DCI Corps, or marchers, or other fans, etc here on DCP.

Agreed... with the entire post.

DCP does a great job with this site, and it is a fun place to come to. The moderators show a lot of restraint I think, and the people running the place have a good sense of what the "idle speed" of this site should be. There ARE kids as young as 12, 13 and 14 reading things here, and even if they do think it's a joke as some have said, the very likely do get good info out of some of the other forums, such as the percussion forum or even sponsorships.

Someone a while back here said the kids should (in essence) buck up and get tough... grow a spine, etc etc... about getting bad comments made about them, and I do agree with that to a certain extent... I certainly had to when I was in a corps where people yelled awful things at us sometimes, and we learned to just take in t he positives we heard. But there is a difference between college age kids and some of the younger ones in this activity. A balance should be respected.

But by the same token, there are people who come in here and just lay out UNimportant criticism of a show or an idea expressed by a corps concept one year who are the ones TRYING to hurt or condescend. And there are people here who just love to argue for the sake of arguing or do the juvenile "I'm saying something really mean about this and if you don't like it you can ... whatever... because I have all my snide remarks ready for you should you fire back at me about this" and that's bad. I always appreciate a person who might say something like (ie): "Don't care for their show really, but they perform it well and are obviously very good this year." or something like that.

At least that's not "XXXXXXXXXXXXXX sucks this year!"

Agreed... with the entire post.

DCP does a great job with this site, and it is a fun place to come to. The moderators show a lot of restraint I think, and the people running the place have a good sense of what the "idle speed" of this site should be. There ARE kids as young as 12, 13 and 14 reading things here, and even if they do think it's a joke as some have said, the very likely do get good info out of some of the other forums, such as the percussion forum or even sponsorships.

Someone a while back here said the kids should (in essence) buck up and get tough... grow a spine, etc etc... about getting bad comments made about them, and I do agree with that to a certain extent... I certainly had to when I was in a corps where people yelled awful things at us sometimes, and we learned to just take in t he positives we heard. But there is a difference between college age kids and some of the younger ones in this activity. A balance should be respected.

But by the same token, there are people who come in here and just lay out UNimportant criticism of a show or an idea expressed by a corps concept one year who are the ones TRYING to hurt or condescend. And there are people here who just love to argue for the sake of arguing or do the juvenile "I'm saying something really mean about this and if you don't like it you can ... whatever... because I have all my snide remarks ready for you should you fire back at me about this" and that's bad. I always appreciate a person who might say something like (ie): "Don't care for their show really, but they perform it well and are obviously very good this year." or something like that.

At least that's not "XXXXXXXXXXXXXX sucks this year!"

Well said. It's probably a good thing to remind posters from time to time that young fans (12,13) are on here too, and some are really excited about what they see and hear ( as we all were when we looked with big eyes on the majestic, wonderful spectacle we call " DCI " for te 1st time.

And likewise, for marchers and staff to keep in mind that criticism..... even totally unjust criticsm..... is a part of life. And how we deal with criticism defines our resiliancy, our courage, our determination to push on, regardless of criticisms from others.

Edited by BRASSO