Final Rule Proposal Voting Results

The any instrument thing was already legal.

You sure?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I can see as an instructor where this could be both a good thing and a bad thing. Here's how it's good...

For any corps playing anything outside the envelope, or outside established corps-played idioms. Most of our music judges are band directors. They know classical, jazz and wind band music. But very few are really familiar with other styles of music...like pop and modern rock. Allowing them to see your "set list" ahead of time allows them to hear the original source material and research it accordingly. If the corps isn't doing a literal interpretation, they can note that on the synopses.

Of course, the bad side is that it can go too far in the wrong direction if the show requires a libretto...

Fair enough. I guess if you think about the commentary tracks from San Antonio - as a fan, those were completely enlightening for understanding shows. I guess sometimes we assume that judges just automatically "get it" - those kinds of explanations are good for them as well.

I would love to see a DCI.org online section - kind of like their print program - that has each corps program and a little bit of explanation of what you're going to see and hear.

Mike

Fair enough. I guess if you think about the commentary tracks from San Antonio - as a fan, those were completely enlightening for understanding shows. I guess sometimes we assume that judges just automatically "get it" - those kinds of explanations are good for them as well.

I would love to see a DCI.org online section - kind of like their print program - that has each corps program and a little bit of explanation of what you're going to see and hear.

Mike

actually, as a fan, i found a few of them made me either woozy or even more confused and heading for the fridge :laughing:

Generally happy with what has transpired here.

Regarding submitting an explanation of the show...I'm guessing this was a Hopkins thing as he did this last summer...or at least said he was going to. I think it is a good idea.

Regarding the pre-show instead of post-show meetings...also think it is a good idea. They can point out parts of a show they should look for. This should allow for better judging across the board, especially on the effect sheets in my opinion. How many times have you been to a critique when the staff says, "but didn't you see what we did at this part? etc."

"corps are now encouraged to send in synopses of their productions prior to the season. They will be shared with adjudicators so they can research the show concepts and listen to source music, allowing them to become familiar with the shows prior to the competitive season"

Too bad they didn't have this back in the day. I can see '75 Madison's approach: "Our approach this year will be to suck all the air out of the stadium, and then use it to peel your faces off for the next 13 minutes." :laughing:

Too bad they didn't have this back in the day. I can see '75 Madison's approach: "Our approach this year will be to suck all the air out of the stadium, and then use it to peel your faces off for the next 13 minutes." :laughing:

"And make sure to listen for our bad tone quality!!!"