Cavaliers Hornline

I hear countless complaints about their hornline and the volume they play, and the difficulty of the music they play....but what years exactly are you talking about??

for example....

2002- Loud opening, followed by technical piece.. wow ballad hit! Jazzy section before boxing visual feature..

2003- Awesome jam session. Great ballad. Technical lines. Loud volume. Screamer trumpet line!

2004- Crazy trumpets! also very loud ballad and cool melodies

2005- really havent watched in a long time..

2006- cool lines (especially before the machine glitch part...that whole song is actually cool hornline wise). Piccolo trumpets (scream thing). jazzy feel

2007- Loud Jam Sessions again. Cool baritone features with melody

2008- first hit.. Trumpet feature after that sounds real hard.. sumo visual was real loud.. really cool sounding dissonant feature after the pitch bending..

etc.

What do you think? Instead of complaining about them, elaborate please :)

I would rather you leave out visual comments, unless you are referring to maybe speed or difficulty of movement while playing.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple: Many many many drum corps fans think that crass and unbalanced = loud. Therefore well balanced and good tone production is inferior in terms of volume. It's just a difference between pretending to know anything about pedagogy and really knowing it.

And for an argument on volume, you really need to hit up the 2005 closer again. Knock your socks off energetic and loud loud loud.

It's simple: Many many many drum corps fans think that crass and unbalanced = loud. Therefore well balanced and good tone production is inferior in terms of volume. It's just a difference between pretending to know anything about pedagogy and really knowing it.

And for an argument on volume, you really need to hit up the 2005 closer again. Knock your socks off energetic and loud loud loud.

Just because something is in tune doesn't automatically make it loud. And yes, the Cavies play loud at times...they are just not the loudest ones out there.

Back on topic...the mellos in the 03 jam out? Siiiick.

What the cavaliers do works for them obviously, but I think they do play it safe compared to other corps.

I'd rather see a show that's very difficult and a little dirty as opposed to a show that's very easy and clean as a whistle.

06 and 08.

08 is one of my favorite shows but definitely lacking in volume. 06 way overrated in my opinion, lacking volume and hardly play (yes this is my opinion but if you disagree listen to the rest of the top 5 and tell me they played a lot.)

I think 04, 05, 07, and 00 were pretty loud. 01, 02, 03, and 09 aren't really that quiet either.

I hear countless complaints about their hornline and the volume they play, and the difficulty of the music they play....but what years exactly are you talking about??

for example....

2002- Loud opening, followed by technical piece.. wow ballad hit! Jazzy section before boxing visual feature..

2003- Awesome jam session. Great ballad. Technical lines. Loud volume. Screamer trumpet line!

2004- Crazy trumpets! also very loud ballad and cool melodies

2005- really havent watched in a long time..

2006- cool lines (especially before the machine glitch part...that whole song is actually cool hornline wise). Piccolo trumpets (scream thing). jazzy feel

2007- Loud Jam Sessions again. Cool baritone features with melody

2008- first hit.. Trumpet feature after that sounds real hard.. sumo visual was real loud.. really cool sounding dissonant feature after the pitch bending..

etc.

What do you think? Instead of complaining about them, elaborate please :)

I would rather you leave out visual comments, unless you are referring to maybe speed or difficulty of movement while playing.

2007 was not loud. I know, I was there. 2008 I felt was better as far as volume.

The reason people complain about them being quiet isn't because they play in tune and in balance, its because they aren't loud.

Also, though I have heard people complain about lack of demand in their brass books, I have really enjoyed them and find that most years, they have an average to above average difficulty level in their shows. (IMO)