Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

Still not as tough as 14th to 8th in one year.......

And that has happened before!

Let's start with a camp report. I was at camp this weekend and things have changed ! They have cleaned so much ! Many of those straight lines are now straight and the curvie ones are well connected ! I can't wait till tomorrow when the eight guy's that were missing this weekend get back from their school functions . A few had trickled in before I left last night.

Things are really coming together nicely. These men are egar to please their fans . The way the corps practice's really reminds me of the way we practiced in 1981 . I've seen older guy's helpin' the younger guys during food breaks. I've seen just the oppisite as well. They know that they are in this together and will do whatever it takes to be the best they can be.

There were 74 horns there. 1 bari, 2 mello's ,3 tuba's, and 2 trumpets missing Saterday morning. All but 1 I believe was school relaided. 1 bass drum was also missing. I believe I counted 35 guard guy's there .

Now for the really good stuff !!!!! The snack Saterday night was TRUELY AWESOME ! :worthy::blink::blink: Apple Crisp pipin' hot out of the oven and a scoop of ice cream on top ! Every guy that came through the line was grinnin' from ear to ear ! :tongue: That was on top of 3 fantastic meal's ealier that same day . Sunday mornin' they rose to the smell of bacon and egg's............. It's hard to believe they have gotten as much done with half the guy's in a food coma after every meal .?.?.

I know everybody wants to know about the show, well I'm not gonna say much about it. You will just have to see it for your self. I do know that alums. are goin' to like it . Mom, Dad and the kids that live down the street from the show site will like it. Our fans will like . I know the guy's in the corps like it . Even that crabbie old women that hates every thing will be smilin' by the time they are done with the show !

Ok , here a hint of part of what you may see and hear from the Madison Scouts this year. Kansas and a bucket of water ......... Alright, Ya got any ideas ?

Bill

Edited by Bill L.

I really can't wait to see those young men kicking butt on the field!

Let's start with a camp report. I was at camp this weekend and things have changed ! They have cleaned so much ! Many of those straight lines are now straight and the curvie ones are well connected ! I can't wait till tomorrow when the eight guy's that were missing this weekend get back from their school functions . A few had trickled in before I left last night.

Things are really coming together nicely. These men are egar to please their fans . The way the corps practice's really reminds me of the way we practiced in 1981 . I've seen older guy's helpin' the younger guys during food breaks. I've seen just the oppisite as well. They know that they are in this together and will do whatever it takes to be the best they can be.

There were 74 horns there. 1 bari, 2 mello's ,3 tuba's, and 2 trumpets missing Saterday morning. All but 1 I believe was school relaided. 1 bass drum was also missing. I believe I counted 35 guard guy's there .

Now for the really good stuff !!!!! The snack Saterday night was TRUELY AWESOME ! :worthy::blink::blink: Apple Crisp pipin' hot out of the oven and a scoop of ice cream on top ! Every guy that came through the line was grinnin' from ear to ear ! :tongue: That was on top of 3 fantastic meal's ealier that same day . Sunday mornin' they rose to the smell of bacon and egg's............. It's hard to believe they have gotten as much done with half the guy's in a food coma after every meal .?.?.

I know everybody wants to know about the show, well I'm not gonna say much about it. You will just have to see it for your self. I do know that alums. are goin' to like it . Mom, Dad and the kids that live down the street from the show site will like it. Our fans will like . I know the guy's in the corps like it . Even that crabbie old women that hates every thing will be smilin' by the time they are done with the show !

Ok , here a hint of part of what you may see and hear from the Madison Scouts this year. Kansas and a bucket of water ......... Alright, Ya got any ideas ?

Bill

Im sure they will be great. timing couldnt be better for an fan show. Good or average they will tear it up. As per the show I know it will be great I think we've seen it all before.... Not saying thats bad.

I slept on these comments about judging. I have come up with the following conclusions.

1. No wonder so many top tier drum corps come out with half done shows the first few days ... judges are not going to penalize them for it.

2. Fans are getting ripped off ... many fans leave a show being told by a DCI judge that (fill in the blank corps) was better tonight than another corps - when in reality it might not have been that way at all, because it's based on last years placements.

3. I thought those guys/gals in the green shirts were smart enought to evaluate a performance and give it a score based on that evening's performance. If they are not capable of doing that then we need to replace those judges who rely on previous scores to do the work for them. No wonder Scott Stewart was so furious with the judges all the time.

Lastly, Remember several years ago a Southwind pit player found a judges score card on field during their performance. It had scores for corps that had not even performed yet. I remember how that created a big stir and everyone just dismissed it as slotting corps. Well SLOTTING BITES!

Bruckner....see... this is HOW IT SHOULD BE.... !!!!!! Slotting is WRONG !...no matter what color you call it... so I dont believe your theories... and believe that the above quote and what I wrote ARE better for a BETTER DCI !!! have a nice day.

I slept on these comments about judging. I have come up with the following conclusions.

1. No wonder so many top tier drum corps come out with half done shows the first few days ... judges are not going to penalize them for it.

2. Fans are getting ripped off ... many fans leave a show being told by a DCI judge that (fill in the blank corps) was better tonight than another corps - when in reality it might not have been that way at all, because it's based on last years placements.

3. I thought those guys/gals in the green shirts were smart enought to evaluate a performance and give it a score based on that evening's performance. If they are not capable of doing that then we need to replace those judges who rely on previous scores to do the work for them. No wonder Scott Stewart was so furious with the judges all the time.

Lastly, Remember several years ago a Southwind pit player found a judges score card on field during their performance. It had scores for corps that had not even performed yet. I remember how that created a big stir and everyone just dismissed it as slotting corps. Well SLOTTING BITES!

1. Judges can't judge what they haven't see, and therefor can not say, "Corps X has 11 minutes on the show, Corps Z 9 1/2 minutes; therefor Corps X should get the nod). It just doesn't happen that way logically. Plus, when Corps X comes out with all of their music and drill, it is usually a bare skeleton of the show (minus a ton of guard work, minus a lot of the effect stuff, etc). Also, if a corps doesn't prefer a full show the first week or two, chances are good what they do have on the field is cleaner due to the attention put into it.

2. If a fan feels ripped up because they disagree with the opinions/rankings of seven or so judges, then they have serious problems: if you like the show, who cares how it places? Just be content liking their show.

3. I honestly, there's usually a reason why there is "slotting," and that's generally because there are obviously TONS of reasons: for example, the corps that scores higher is actually better, show design is more cohesive, etc.

4. In regards to the Southwind thing, if memory serves the judge had a 'cheat sheet' of scores/placements from the most recent performances. While a judge is always obligated to score/rank who has the better performance/design on any given night, it's important for judges to have a ballpark number of what's going on competitively so they can be consistent. Think about it: how annoyed to people get when there are inconsistencies from one night to the next ("I can't believe Phantom moved down two spots from last night when they clearly had the better performance tonight). If there is consistent scores/rankings, people complain about slotting. If there is a ton of movement and score differential both high and low from night to night, people complain about that.

But really, let's be honest: this comes down to, "I really liked Carolina Crown and dislike Blue Devils. Therefor, if BD beats Crown it MUST be slotting since there is no way I could be wrong about my evaluation of the performances from I've got the perfect vantage point between the 40 and 35 about 30 rows up." While obviously no one agrees with the judges scores/rankings 100% of the time, almost exclusively when people start throwing out pseudo-consipracy theories involving judging it's really just sour grapes/frustration that you have if your corps is scoring where you want.

1. Judges can't judge what they haven't see, and therefor can not say, "Corps X has 11 minutes on the show, Corps Z 9 1/2 minutes; therefor Corps X should get the nod). It just doesn't happen that way logically. Plus, when Corps X comes out with all of their music and drill, it is usually a bare skeleton of the show (minus a ton of guard work, minus a lot of the effect stuff, etc). Also, if a corps doesn't prefer a full show the first week or two, chances are good what they do have on the field is cleaner due to the attention put into it.

2. If a fan feels ripped up because they disagree with the opinions/rankings of seven or so judges, then they have serious problems: if you like the show, who cares how it places? Just be content liking their show.

3. I honestly, there's usually a reason why there is "slotting," and that's generally because there are obviously TONS of reasons: for example, the corps that scores higher is actually better, show design is more cohesive, etc.

4. In regards to the Southwind thing, if memory serves the judge had a 'cheat sheet' of scores/placements from the most recent performances. While a judge is always obligated to score/rank who has the better performance/design on any given night, it's important for judges to have a ballpark number of what's going on competitively so they can be consistent. Think about it: how annoyed to people get when there are inconsistencies from one night to the next ("I can't believe Phantom moved down two spots from last night when they clearly had the better performance tonight). If there is consistent scores/rankings, people complain about slotting. If there is a ton of movement and score differential both high and low from night to night, people complain about that.

But really, let's be honest: this comes down to, "I really liked Carolina Crown and dislike Blue Devils. Therefor, if BD beats Crown it MUST be slotting since there is no way I could be wrong about my evaluation of the performances from I've got the perfect vantage point between the 40 and 35 about 30 rows up." While obviously no one agrees with the judges scores/rankings 100% of the time, almost exclusively when people start throwing out pseudo-consipracy theories involving judging it's really just sour grapes/frustration that you have if your corps is scoring where you want.

Ok then ... give me a green shirt a tape recorder and a pad and pencil and I'll go judge the shows. I think I can give a score based on a show I've NEVER seen and I'd bet ya 9 out of 10 people in the stands would agree with my assessment. I'm not a music major etc., but I can tell who has delievered the best performance. Other wise I think your kissing the wrong end of the horse. WHEEEW WEE!

Ok then ... give me a green shirt a tape recorder and a pad and pencil and I'll go judge the shows. I think I can give a score based on a show I've NEVER seen and I'd bet ya 9 out of 10 people in the stands would agree with my assessment. I'm not a music major etc., but I can tell who has delievered the best performance. Other wise I think your kissing the wrong end of the horse. WHEEEW WEE!

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Briggs1

I'll tell you what: get sponsored to be a DCI judge, work a few shows for a year or two, and then we'll talk about your ability and expertise in the art of judging. Until then... :tongue:

*Those who can, do. Those who can't complain on the internet and explain how they can do it better. :blink:

I'll tell you what: get sponsored to be a DCI judge, work a few shows for a year or two, and then we'll talk about your ability and expertise in the art of judging. Until then... :tongue:

*Those who can, do. Those who can't complain on the internet and explain how they can do it better. :blink:

LOL based on what you're saying I don't need any experience, just look at last years placements and wlala I got scores for tonight peformance. All I really gotta do to be a DCI judge is run faster than the battery and stay out of the way of the gaurd.

I would think ... there I go thinking again a SPONSORED JUDGE OF DCI can look at a show the first time and give it a score based on that evening's performance, not what some corps did last year.