Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

I slept on these comments about judging. I have come up with the following conclusions.

1. No wonder so many top tier drum corps come out with half done shows the first few days ... judges are not going to penalize them for it.

Compare scores in June to those in August...how can you think the state of a corps show is not reflected in the scores they receive?

2. Fans are getting ripped off ... many fans leave a show being told by a DCI judge that (fill in the blank corps) was better tonight than another corps - when in reality it might not have been that way at all, because it's based on last years placements.

In the event that something you describe might happen...the only ones ripped off are the corps members of the corps that is scored too low. Personally, I disagree with the entire premise.

3. I thought those guys/gals in the green shirts were smart enought to evaluate a performance and give it a score based on that evening's performance. If they are not capable of doing that then we need to replace those judges who rely on previous scores to do the work for them. No wonder Scott Stewart was so furious with the judges all the time.

What makes you think the do NOT give scores based on their opinion of the corps at that show?

Lastly, Remember several years ago a Southwind pit player found a judges score card on field during their performance. It had scores for corps that had not even performed yet. I remember how that created a big stir and everyone just dismissed it as slotting corps. Well SLOTTING BITES!

If I recall, that was a sheet with scores from prior shows. One thing...it was a technique known in WGI as 'knowing the neighborhood', and the individual judge came from WGI, so he had no idea it would not be permitted in DCI. Second...again if memory serves...the guy did not judge any more DCI shows, at least that season.

Ok then ... give me a green shirt a tape recorder and a pad and pencil and I'll go judge the shows. I think I can give a score based on a show I've NEVER seen and I'd bet ya 9 out of 10 people in the stands would agree with my assessment. I'm not a music major etc., but I can tell who has delievered the best performance. Other wise I think your kissing the wrong end of the horse. WHEEEW WEE!

I think there's a lot to judging you don't understand or want to understand.

Ok then ... give me a green shirt a tape recorder and a pad and pencil and I'll go judge the shows. I think I can give a score based on a show I've NEVER seen and I'd bet ya 9 out of 10 people in the stands would agree with my assessment. I'm not a music major etc., but I can tell who has delievered the best performance. Other wise I think your kissing the wrong end of the horse. WHEEEW WEE!

How do you define 'best performance'?

It's virtually impossible for one person to judge every aspect of every caption in a performance. Yes, you could tell us who you like the best, but that does not always equate with who had the best performance.

How do you define 'best performance'?

It's virtually impossible for one person to judge every aspect of every caption in a performance. Yes, you could tell us who you like the best, but that does not always equate with who had the best performance.

True........... VERY true !!!!

Back on track ... Bill L. Thank you for your updates. Keep those updates coming. I'll see you in about 14 days. BTW give us more hints ... Kansas and a bucket of water ...?????

(RBarron10 @ Jun 7 2010, 11:40 PM)

I think there's a lot to judging you don't understand or want to understand.

Ha; I 100% totally concur with your assessment, and I imagine the "tape" from RBarron10 would be quite interesting to listen to.

Ok, here Ya go . Clue # 2 --- Crabby Old Neighbor .

The Men have just eaten another great meal and are back at work as I'm typing this ! They will have another meal ay 10:00 pm. est. tonight !

Bill

Edited by Bill L.

Ok, here Ya go . Clue # 2 --- Crabby Old Neighbor .

The Men just eaten another great meal and are back at work as I'm typing this ! They will have another meal ay 10:00 pm. est. tonight !

Bill

What did the meal consist of Bill?

What else: raw steak with a cup of blood? :thumbup:

Knowing my lovely wife's cooking.............. You may be rite ! :worthy:

Tracy, Henry, and Mike are all alone in the kitchen till tomorrow. I do know that back when I marched Henry made some great beef jerky .