Giants Stadium Drum Corps Memories

And wasn't it about 120 degrees on the field that day?

Actually that was the senior\junior show in 89, The 78 show was at night as well as the 81 Dream and the show in 84 show.

Edited by Fastone

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that was the senior\junior show in 89, The 78 show was at night as well as the 81 Dream and the show in 84 show.

Frank, the 1978 show was definitely on a Sunday afternoon. It was hotter than hell that day.

Fran

Frank, the 1978 show was definitely on a Sunday afternoon. It was hotter than hell that day.

Fran

Yes Fran you are correct,

Yes Fran you are correct,

Like Fran said,Hot as hell. Man as soon as you stepped across the field you could feel the heat just rise up from the carpet as if we were disturbing it.Looking across the field reminded me of those movies of the French foreign legion, marching across the desert.You could see the heat rising.Doe's anyone remember those certain nights marching on grass fields,and you would be kicking up a swarm of pesky gnats.Every time you took a breath,you would inhale a load of them.

Billy Di Paolo

St Joseph Patron Cadets feeder corps 1964-65

St Joseph Patron Sea Cadets 1966-72

Long Island Sunrisers 1972,73,74,75,76,77,78,80,2007

St Ritas Brassmen Alumni Corps 2006-present

Does anyone remember those certain nights marching on grass fields,and you would be kicking up a swarm of pesky gnats.Every time you took a breath,you would inhale a load of them.

The Gloversville show in NY, in June.

It always seemed to be really humid, with a haze hanging in the air.... you could see the flying bugs highlighted in the stadium lights.

One year my glasses fogged up midway through our show. Needless to say, it wasn't one of my better marching nights. LOL. Not that I ever had really good marching nights. :laughing:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

• 2 weeks later...
The Gloversville show in NY, in June.

It always seemed to be really humid, with a haze hanging in the air.... you could see the flying bugs highlighted in the stadium lights.

One year my glasses fogged up midway through our show. Needless to say, it wasn't one of my better marching nights. LOL. Not that I ever had really good marching nights. :tongue:

Fran

Come on Fran,you could'nt have been that bad in M&M.Especially in 78.We only lost 3 shows that entire year.We placed 2nd in those 3 losses.Just a thought here,there should be a motto for all drum corps people."In dreadful heat,monsoons,windstorms, and buggy nights,the show must go on.LOL

Old MacArthur stadium in Syracuse was not only famous for its rats - but the mosquitos were so big you could put saddles on them... especially toward the swamp side which was the starting line...

The worst possible situation (been there done that) is to take that final big breath as the major is about to start you and inhale one of those critters... A real kick in the pants...

Then there's the trusty staff members trying to keep our composure who comes along behind the starting line with a can of OFF bug spray getting the backs of the necks and accidentally gets your mouthpiece... that first note was NEVER the same...

Old MacArthur stadium in Syracuse was not only famous for its rats - but the mosquitos were so big you could put saddles on them... especially toward the swamp side which was the starting line...

The worst possible situation (been there done that) is to take that final big breath as the major is about to start you and inhale one of those critters... A real kick in the pants...

Then there's the trusty staff members trying to keep our composure who comes along behind the starting line with a can of OFF bug spray getting the backs of the necks and accidentally gets your mouthpiece... that first note was NEVER the same...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Longdo wrote Black Saddle after one off those saddles fell of either one those mosquitoes or one of those poodle-sized rats.... :tongue:

Edited by ereese

lol sounds logical but actually, I was there... and he scratched it out on a napkin at the PLAV bar when he heard the catch tune come across the TV (of course after a few beers... Brad drink? Never!) - the following week, we were learning it as our ballad... It of course is the Mecca of all middle horn players...

for you young 'uns - Black Saddle became a staple of both drum corps and marching band in the 60's as Brad Longdo gave it to Brigs, corky Fabrizio enhanced it with brigs and (heaven forbid - some were shocked he'd do this) gave it to Troopers...

The TV show was about a gunslinger turned lawyer who went around the old west curing all evil with either his books or his guns... I think the theme song has remained far more everlasting than the memory of a class B TV show (half hour in black and white at that)

I was at those rehearsals tagging along with my big brother and a buddy from Mexico Grey Barons named Rene Pickens... It was my pleasure to sit in at the first rehearsal and play that haunting melody on French Horn for the first time ever other than some TV sound stage... shortly after that, Dad decided I was too young for Brigs (13) and had me join with the guys forming the Fulton Gauchos...

LOL, Black Saddle even became one of the better McCormick band arrangents from the mid-'70's. Nice writing in that, actually. Likely ripped straight fof the Troopers.

Had a lot of fun at the Grand Prix shows at the Meadowlands. Marching on turf was different- you had to keep your eyes away from the jumbotron while you performed because there was a delay that would mess you up-

And I know in '82 Westshore got booed when we got introduced and booed lustfully when we were finished- we kind of expected that and laughed at the crowd. The fans out there didn't want us winning on Sky's turf. Understandable, but funny!

We did win, got booed more, it was a lot of fun being the rascals that put some coal in some stockings for one night.

I remember when I read a blog from a certain DCI corps that got booed a lot a couple of years back with statements about how "shocked and upset and crushed" they were when the fans didn't like their show. The first thing that came to mind was standing there ready to go in the Meadowlands and hearing 5k people booing, and we just started laughing at attention, which I think got some of them more angry.

When they boo- no whining! Show 'em what you're made of and perform wonderfully! :blink:

Also, the Sangria avalable at the concession stands made the show a real personal fave for me as well. :blink:

And yeah, Gloversville was something else- Most of our corps remembers it for Rickie Lee sliding down the hill headfirst on the one side of the stands yelling he was Superman. Fran- I think half your corps and half of Sky is still trying to find him and make him slide down again.... :blink: