Giants Stadium Drum Corps Memories

1976 supposed to be there for a Jets-Giants pre-season game which got Hurricaned out. :w00t:

1977 there for pre-season for Giants-Steelers. :flower: Smaller memories of cheering for the Steelers from the end zone seats (while being paid by the Giants people :flower: ). Also getting to eat at the workers cafeteria since we were helping the Quartermaster. :flower:

BIG memory - my dads only trip with the corps as he was also helping the QM. Bus drivers wanted to leave "one second" after the game to beat traffic. Sure enough.... we get on the bridge leading to the turnpike and people in front of me on the bus (including dad) stand up and look down out the window. Then I hear dad say "What's this ###### trying to" *crunch*. Long story short... drunk hits the bus... cops took an hour to get there because of confusion caused by a wreck on the next bridge. Cop: "We ARE there bus driver, what's your problem?" Bus Driver: "Look at the next bridge, what do you see" Cop: "Looks like three buses" Driver: "THAT'S US". Cop shows up and drunk falls out of the car on his face. Bus drivers give the cop the phone number of the bus company and they are free to go. By that time ALL the traffic was past us. Then someone tells our bus driver "Good news is you don't have to worry about traffic now". If looks could kill... :flower:

OK was it Giants or the Jets trying out a game at the stadium??? :flower:

I remember a number of shows we played with Westeshoremen at Giants stadium but the one that sticks out the most was 1977 when I was a whopping 15 and we played the pre-season halftime show between the Giants and Steelers. I could barely see over the top of my basedrum and when we came off the field who do i run right into (physically) but Mean Joe Green of the steelers. Let me tell you that dude was HUGE... I was looking for the nearest exit but he busted up laughing and looked at me and said good job :).... thank god.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have so many memories of so many contests, yet 'The Dream' stands out for many of us. I attended about four or five senior contests in 1965, but 'The Dream' was the best one that year. The year of the Rochester Crusaders in the storm. A sight and sound I will never forget. I really thought they won, despite the storm.

I marched in the Dream seven times. We placed just about everywhere from first (twice) to last (once) during those years. Most of them blur together, but they were all special at the time. All were hot, humid August afternoons, and we always had a contest the night before, usually in upstate New York. We were dead tired, but once we hit that starting line, we had all the energy we needed. The crowd was the difference. The Hawthorne-Skyliner rivalry was usually the focal point of the crowd's cheers and boos, and we always fed off it. Both corps always seemed to do their best jobs each season at the Dream, win or lose. Sure, there were the Hurcs, Rebels, Bucs, Sunrisers, Diplomates and other really good corps, but the majority of the crowd was there to see Cabs and Sky.

Those were great shows, great times, in what arguably was the most iconic drum corps venue of its day. Those of you who were there know exactly what I mean. To those of you who missed it, I wish you all equally good memories of your favorite show or venue. For us of a 'certain age' and era, The Dream will always be that most special of all contests.

We all have so many memories of so many contests, yet 'The Dream' stands out for many of us. I attended about four or five senior contests in 1965, but 'The Dream' was the best one that year. The year of the Rochester Crusaders in the storm. A sight and sound I will never forget.

I really thought they won, despite the storm.

smiling politely

so did I.... :rolleyes:

but then again... I was on the field in that storm... "in the still of the night" was NEVER so inappropriate as the night was NOT still...

I remember a number of shows we played with Westeshoremen at Giants stadium but the one that sticks out the most was 1977 when I was a whopping 15 and we played the pre-season halftime show between the Giants and Steelers. I could barely see over the top of my basedrum and when we came off the field who do i run right into (physically) but Mean Joe Green of the steelers. Let me tell you that dude was HUGE... I was looking for the nearest exit but he busted up laughing and looked at me and said good job :).... thank god.

LOL hey Rick.... IIRC at the end of our show we were facing the Steeler bench. Either Mean Joe or one of the other huge ### Steel Curtain guys was standing right in front of our DM Nate Ward. Cheapo podium we used at the time was only about waist high so the Steelers head was right in front of Nates chest. Nate was kind of leaning to the side so everyone could see him. :rolleyes:

Think someone said Franco Harris was saying good job too. :blink:

LMAO... picturing Benny and my 5' 6" dad trying to get that podium out of the middle of the Steelers bench while the team is getting ready for the second half. :rolleyes:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Another "Big Time Stadium" memory.

The New York Skyliners had an expense paid trip to Montreal. It seems someone thought it would make for a nice 1/2 time show at the First Canadian Football game in the "New Olympic Stadium". I understand whoever it was, that Paid did both , Bus' and Hotel. The Canadian Olympic people took care of the Pre game show. Turning the Stadium over to the City and the "Montreal Alouettes". Then The N.Y.C. Skyliners did the 1/2 time. Boy the stories I could tell about that trip. HINT: That Huge field (the two 50 yard lines) - Border Crossing Paper - Hotel "Suvies" - The Taxidermy animals(Lake George) and many more.

But, OH, what a week end. (Including an exhibition at a Rodeo Stadium with a BIG pole in the center of the field.)

Great Fun, Great Memories.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

I don't understand why all this is being rehashed in a thread that was specifically about Giants Stadium in light of it being torn down.

I don't understand why all this is being rehashed in a thread that was specifically about Giants Stadium in light of it being torn down.

well it brought back a lot of memories from yesteryear. ya know liz we can't help going OT over here. and i love the old stories. enjoy it. :smile:

well, i'm old. that being said, i played at giants stadium and that means a lot to me. these memories are with us forever and if you're lucky like me you will have memories of warming up outside of the meadowlands and then meeting up with the rest of the corps and slowly entering a stadium like that. i'm not afraid to tell you,... it was awesome!

well it brought back a lot of memories from yesteryear.

I started the thread, and I'm OK with this one drifting off to other places from time to time... as long as it drifts back to Giants Stadium. :smile:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I started thread, and I'm OK with this one drifting off to other places from time to time... as long as it drifts back to Giants Stadium. :smile:

Fran

Like the smell? :smile:

Seriously tho ~ last night as I drove by Giants Stadium the smell of skunk was heavy in the air. Yeah ~ could pick it out over the other smells so you know it was bad. :smile: