Giants Stadium Drum Corps Memories

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember the lineup at the 1978 show? I think I was there with the Roch. CRU but not positive. I remember my friends new conversion van biting the dust in the parking lot and being towed away, far from home.

Bill,

From Ron Allard's site..

http://diceman.home.att.net/prix.htm

The Grand Prix

July 9, 1978

East Rutherford, New Jersey

1 New York Skyliners 81.00

2 Sunrisers 80.70

3 Matadors 73.50

4 Hurricanes 70.55

5 Crusaders 67.90

6 Buccaneers 63.15

Slyliners.......81.00

Sunrisers......80.70

Matadors 73.50

Hurricanes 70.55

Crusaders.....67.90

Buccaneers 63.15

Oops.... n e v e r m i n d... :lookaround:

Being a late comer to the activity, It seems I missed just about everything.

I missed:

The dream

The 65 Chicago Royalaires

Requiem for an Era

Pittsburg Rockets

The world open

1971 Skyliners

1972 Rochester Crusaders

Some of these corps and events because I was too young.. some, because like countless other guys of draft age, I wound up in Vietnam.

I went to war, came home and "The Combine" changed everything, while I was away.

Corps I never heard of.. Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard in particular, would redefine

competative drumcorps and launch the activity into an era of the "touring corps".

"Mom and Pop" community based corps began to fold... mine as well.... Budgets grew to unheard of

amounts.... but........

I have marched in the U.S.Open, saw the 1968 Kilties, watched and listened to Blue Rock

come off the line Blazing! I watched The Bridgemen turn DCI upside down by entertaining the crowd!

I saw Star Of Indiana in 1990.... I marced several shows in Horlick field, in Racine....

Saw birds that wouldn't fly... Saw Pepe with Hurcs, Jimmy Centorino with Matadors....

the best hornline I ever heard, the 1979 Reading Bucs...

well..... much more! It has been 42 years since I laced up my first pair of white Bucks...

I can still smell white shoe polish and fresh cut grass!

I collected pop bottles, worked bake sales.... we ALL did so, in my Jr.corps, to raise cash to get to Marion, or Cleveland for AL/VFW State Championships... rode in school busses painted with the corps name on them.. looked great, ran bad!!

I figure I have some more memories that have yet to be created.... :lookaround:

HAHA... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
So ... there ya go ... my memory bank was only half right ... or ... half wrong ... but, Fish ... Slyliners? ... HAHA ... a little Freudian slip?

:-)

I remember the royal brigade used to practice in parking lot 17 they had one heck of a horn line. Giants Stadium was nice but kind of fond over both the old roosevelt stadiums, in Jersey City and Union City. Both hosted a Jr and Sr corps show.

My best memory of Drum Corps at Giant Stadium was the year that Velvet Knights did their beach show ('96?). There are two drill shows that must have been written by God Himself. One was the 1965 Rochester Crusader show that God wrote expressly for the 1965 Dream with the dust devil that followed the Honor Guard as they marched down an echelon in their exit that year, along with the VERY ominous clouds and lightning that filled the skys as they played the theme from Devil at Four O'Clock" (Pete Bishop, present director of the Cabs Alumni Corps was Rochester's contrabass during that show. Boy, all that metal and all that lightning. VERY scary). And the second one was the Velvet Knights beach show. They did a show with the DMs sitting in beach chairs (ala Frank Ponzo during Cabs drill rehearsals) and sharks running across the field and other sight gags. But the part of the drill and sight gag that God Himself put into the minds of their drill designers was the "Hurricane Scene". At the precise moment in their show when they started to mime fighting the winds of a hurricane that was suuposed to have occurred, A WIND STORM ACTUALLY STARTED TO BLOW ALL TYPES OF DEBRIS FROM THE STANDS ONTO THE FIELD, And the members of the Corps were actually battling the wind in the stadium. Man if they didn't get high Visual GE that night I don't know what the guys upstairs were looking at. :tongue:

Edited by NYSkyliner

Peter's true claim to fame was 1964's labor day victory over Caballeros... Cru had only 2 contra (like everyone else that year)... Peter Bishop and Dave MacEaneny were the two contras and they had the first ever contra solo in "I talk to the trees"... David's wife went into labor that weekend and Peter was the only contra that night when Cabs phenominal win streak was stopped... that victory set the table for the merge with Grey Knights and the 65 super corps was born - we used 6 contras which was unheard of at the time...

Peter's true claim to fame was 1964's labor day victory over Caballeros... Cru had only 2 contra (like everyone else that year)... Peter Bishop and Dave MacEaneny were the two contras and they had the first ever contra solo in "I talk to the trees"... David's wife went into labor that weekend and Peter was the only contra that night when Cabs phenominal win streak was stopped... that victory set the table for the merge with Grey Knights and the 65 super corps was born - we used 6 contras which was unheard of at the time...
You know there aren't too many members of Cabs Alumni that know that Pete marched Rochester back in the day. At DCI Championships in Orlando in '96 I ran across Pete and Billy Kennedy under the stands and I was reminding Pete about that '65 Dream show, the clouds & lightning and all. Pete's nodding his head and Kennedy looks at Pete and very inquizically says, "Really?" :tongue:

Bill,

From Ron Allard's site..

http://diceman.home.att.net/prix.htm

The Grand Prix

July 9, 1978

East Rutherford, New Jersey

1 New York Skyliners 81.00

2 Sunrisers 80.70

3 Matadors 73.50

4 Hurricanes 70.55

5 Crusaders 67.90

6 Buccaneers 63.15

And wasn't it about 120 degrees on the field that day?

And wasn't it about 120 degrees on the field that day?

Something like that... ridiculously hot.

Fran