July 9, 1978

East Rutherford, New Jersey

1 New York Skyliners 81.00

2 Sunrisers 80.70

3 Matadors 73.50

4 Hurricanes 70.55

5 Crusaders 67.90

6 Buccaneers 63.15

And wasn't it about 120 degrees on the field that day?
Something like that... ridiculously hot.

Fran

Sorry Tim, some times it takes me a while to find my way back to some of these threads... :smile:

All I remember is it felt like everyone was melting..... I think the first aid people were working more that day then usual...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.... On the plane yesterday - BOS to CLE via Timbuktoo - I noted that the Air Mall magazine had pairs of seats from Giants' Stadium for sale.

Not having any interest, I didn't note the price.

So.... On the plane yesterday - BOS to CLE via Timbuktoo - I noted that the Air Mall magazine had pairs of seats from Giants' Stadium for sale.

Not having any interest, I didn't note the price.

They probably include the seats under which Mr. Hoffa is resting in peace. As Sean Lendeta (sp), the former kicker for the NY Giants once said, "It give a whole new meaning to the "coffin corner". :worthy:

Interesting coincidence: Today I caught the end of an item on NewsRadio88 here in NYC: It talked about how the old stadium site will be turned into parking. They specifically noted that the FBI will not be making any attempt to find out if Jimmy Hoffa is indeed entombed in the concrete there.

Interesting coincidence: Today I caught the end of an item on NewsRadio88 here in NYC: It talked about how the old stadium site will be turned into parking. They specifically noted that the FBI will not be making any attempt to find out if Jimmy Hoffa is indeed entombed in the concrete there.

C'mon John ... you and I both know that Hoffa's under one of the pylons off of the RT 3 exit after the Exit 17 toll ...

:-)

Hey Andy, I never said I didn't believe he was under there, OR that I agreed with the FBI! :thumbdown: LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Well you can say not just Drum Corps memories but also NFL memories. If you watch any highlights from the NFL films of Lawrence Taylor picking off Joe montana in the payoffs of the 1985-1986 season you will see the Caballeros behind the ginats bench waiting for Halftime. I will never forget that game because when LT picked off that pass I ran down the field against the big blue wall.

Drove by their Sunday. Big gaping hole in the upper deck.

I can see they aren't treating this like the Old Yankee Stadium by keeping it around for another year.

Slyliners.......81.00

Sunrisers......80.70

Matadors 73.50

Hurricanes 70.55

Crusaders.....67.90

Buccaneers 63.15

1978 was my first Grand Prix. I was a 17 year old spectator that day in the searing heat. I remember thinking how the Sunrisers got ripped off that day.

First time i marched there was in 1983. It was an exhibition pre-season game between the Giants and the Indinnapolis Colts. After our performance I vividly remember packing my car and heading home waiting for a phone call from Miami, FL to hear about the Garfield Cadets winning their first DCI Champtionship.

Next time I marched there was in 1984, again as a member of the Caballeros. The Grand Prix was co-sponsored wth Garfield. We were given use of one of the locker rooms that day and I thought it was the coolest thing. Here we were in the middle of an undefeated championship season and someone decided to have us perform :ph34r:right after the Garfield Cadets....not a smart move. :ph34r::blink::doh: The silence from the audience during our performance was deafening.

Fast forward 2 months later. The weekend following the DCA Championships we performed pre-game and halftime for Giants-Cowboys (I'm a huge Dallas fan). We're standing on the field for the National Anthem and standing right there in front of me was Tom Landry, Tony Dorsett, Too Tall Jones, Randy White...I was in heaven. :thumbup: Unfortunately, the Giants put a hurtin' on my 'Boys that day.

Of course there are numerous marching band memories at the stadium as well. I spent many bone-chilling November nights as a volunteer or instructional staff memer over the years. One of the best memories was at the very first Cadet Marching Band Show held there in 1988 when my friend Robert decided to propose to his future ex-wife from the field through anncuncer Paul (can't remember his last name....the "YOU may enter the field" guy...)

I was fortunate to make it down to the field during last year's Cadet show and alot of those memories ca,e flooding back. I'll miss the old place but time marches on....

Paul Caine (sp?)