Star of Indiana 1991

Why did Star win in 1991?

One word: Mellophones. :tongue:

Seriously..... they had a great show that season. Honestly, it took a few viewings of it for me to realize how excellent that show/performance was.

Fran

Interesting note: Reading Boo's liner notes he said "For the first time in Drum Corps International Finals history the Champion, Star of Indiana, did not win a single caption outright (my bold), but instead tied in three captions." I still don't understand how that's possible scoring-wise, but well describes how you can't judge that show by any one caption, especially just listening to the music. You really have to see the whole package to answer your own question.

Star tied Phantom Regiment in General Effect with a 38.9. Star also tied Blue Devils in Brass with a 19.6. There was a three-way tie in Percussion between Star, The Cavaliers and Santa Clara Vanguard; all with a 19.3. And then, Star was third in Visual with a 19.2, one tenth behind Phantom Regiment and two tenths behind Cavaliers.

It was a perfect storm of all the other corps that won or tied captions also had distinct weaknesses in other captions. The Cavaliers were down to Star a full 0.8 in Brass. SCV was down to Star a whopping 1.3 in Brass and 1.0 in General Effect. Phantom Regiment was down to Star 0.5 in Brass and 0.3 in Visual. And Blue Devils were down 1.0 in General Effect, 0.3 in Visual and...hold on to your hats...2.1 in Percussion. You read that right. (Bird and Bela in B-flat remains one of my favorite productions of all time.)

It won because it deserved to. The total show was really on another level design - wise in regards to integration and presentation.

Not to mention that the horn line played their ###es off. Arguably one of the best brass lines of the G bugle era.

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

Hate what they did with the pit, though.

I hated the pit thing too, till they finished the crosses...at that point, they could have had the pit naked, playing on buckets...IT WOULD NOT HAVE MATTERED TO ME!!!

They may have had the best show, but their finals performance was not the best that night. Rondo even said so on the broadcast. From my vantage point (side 2 5 yard line top row) Cavvies seemed much better, most of crowd around thought that Star would win, but if it were based on performance they would be about 4th...behind Cavvies, Santa Clara, and Garfield.

They may have had the best show, but their finals performance was not the best that night. Rondo even said so on the broadcast. From my vantage point (side 2 5 yard line top row) Cavvies seemed much better, most of crowd around thought that Star would win, but if it were based on performance they would be about 4th...behind Cavvies, Santa Clara, and Garfield.

Sure you got the right year ???? While I personally loved 91 Cadets, they didnt have a chance in Hades to place anywhere close to the top, they were looking behind watching the Crossmen......

Vanguard also , while delivering an emotion packed extravaganza had no chance against the top three..

G

Sure you got the right year ???? While I personally loved 91 Cadets, they didnt have a chance in Hades to place anywhere close to the top, they were looking behind watching the Crossmen......

Vanguard also , while delivering an emotion packed extravaganza had no chance against the top three..

G

Positive it was 91.

But maybe Phantom not Cadets.

I do distinctly remember that those in my area had Star, based on performance, 3-4.

For SCV, that was the Miss Siagon show, right? They sold it that night.

Point is, it was the design that saved Star, not their performance.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra