Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

OK so people have been expressing their fears about the new Pre-Show rules passed at the "Janual" meeting eventually leading to woodwinds becoming a part of the corps proper.

Here is the rationale: if woodwinds are brought into play for the 5 minute "anything goes" pre-show, corps directors in the future will say "Hey we already use them for the first part, let's just use them for the whole show" and finally create the dreaded rule allowing woodwinds to march.

My question is this: do you think that corps directors who have been raised on pure brass and drums like the rest of us would really allow drum corps to start including woodwinds in the future?

Let's hear the opinions roll.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would lead to including woodwinds.

Why would a corps add woodwind players, if it detracts from the powerful brass sound?

Also, they would have to renegotiate the contracts for the instruments they currently have. (Does King even have a woodwind line?)

More food for thought: Think of the additional staff they would have to hire for the woodwind players.

My second and third point just adds to the already staggering cost of the activity, and why would corps want to increase their operating costs?

Interesting topic though.

As I write this we are at a dead even tie: 2 votes for all three answers. Interesting.

If you play a woodwind intstrument why would you even WANT to do drum corps! There's no fun in it!

"LISTEN TO HOW LOUD I CAN PLAY ON MY CLARINET!" ---tweet---

Yea... basically if they allowed woodwinds I just can't see that market of people who play woodwinds and want to do drum corps to be large enough.

Personally I feel that in the future corps will use woodwinds, however some will remain traditional. It will be Republican vs Democrat in the future, but not right now.

It's inevitable that woodwinds will move from DCI I&E competition to DCI field competition.... probably via pre show, maybe not. It's not a question of " if ", it's just a question of " when " woodwinds will move from DCI I&E competition to field competition. I have absolutely no doubt about this. How can you have true marching band without woodwinds ? It's limiting to the genre without them.

Edited by BRASSO

It's inevitable that woodwinds will move from DCI I&E competition to DCI field competition.... probably via pre show, maybe not. It's not a question of " if ", it's just a question of " when " woodwinds will move from DCI I&E competition to field competition. I have absolutely no doubt about this. How can you have true marching band without woodwinds ? It's limiting to the genre without them.

Because Its' NOT MARCHING BAND. Oh Sorry. Too simple My bad. :tongue:

Edited by Perry S