Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

My question is this: do you think that corps directors who have been raised on pure brass and drums like the rest of us would really allow drum corps to start including woodwinds in the future?

Let's hear the opinions roll.

I voted unclear...while I hope WW are added, it's a long way away IMO, and I'm not sure this rule will be what does it.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Follow up to my last post:

Better yet, lets get Hopkins in on this, tell him to get an MBI going. Then DCI will be free of Hopkins and the woodwind kids will get their chance, problem solved!!!!

If I ever Meet you I would love to buy you a drink ! Seriously :tongue:

I voted yes because:

1. powerful brass does not equal a good score by itself.

2. woodwinds can set a different mood that brass might not accomplish... i.e. saxophone for a jazz show.

3. many corps do not pay for their instruments, I will bet my car that Yamaha would jump on the opportunity to give the Cadets a line of saxophones.

4. allowing woodwinds = more educational opportunities for a wider range of people.

5. a much much larger market.

Even though it would be changing the activity, the "benefits" out weigh the "its not drum corp" argument.

for the record, I say keep drum corp traditional.

1. adding woodwinds does not equal a good score either

2. brass can set a different mood as well..just means the score must be written better.

3. meaningless

4. while diminishing opportunities for brass players...

5. doubtful...woodwind players that really want to do drum corps have been picking up brass for years.

once again, it's just change...not improvement.

they are heading in that direction, however...domed shows will help woodwinds be heard...battery sizes will shrink...I can see 4 snare/2 tenor/5 ultra-deadened bass batteries in the future...makes me a sad panda...

1. adding woodwinds does not equal a good score either

2. brass can set a different mood as well..just means the score must be written better.

3. meaningless

4. while diminishing opportunities for brass players...

5. doubtful...woodwind players that really want to do drum corps have been picking up brass for years.

once again, it's just change...not improvement.

allow me to clarify,

1. this comment was aimed at the people who say woodwinds wont happen just because it will take away from brass. when in the end, directors are thinking about the score more than decible level.

2. true, but woodwinds, or any other instrument, can make sounds that brass cant make.

3. disagree, if money is an issue when it comes to fielding woodwinds (if they are allowed) then, a corps that takes a sponsorship does not have to pay for them... this comment was aimed at the people who say woodwinds will cost too much in an already expensive activity.

4. you are right, but its also opening the playing field for more people.

5. same as above. PLUS, the 'market' im talking about are the people, youth, parents, woodwind players, who will now take interest in DCI because they have something in common. further, DCI now has many many woodwind manufactures to get sponsorships & advertising.

i see what youre talking about in your response, and i see that I was not clear enough, but fyi, if all you do is negate what others say with every opportunity you have, then most will take you less seriously. I agree with you, in a competitive sense, adding woodwinds is just change, not improvement. But there are also many opportunities that arise if woodwinds are allowed.

It's coming . . .this is just the foot in the door for a few years down the road.

yep. maybe later than sooner, but it's sadly inevtiable

I voted yes because:

1. powerful brass does not equal a good score by itself.

2. woodwinds can set a different mood that brass might not accomplish... i.e. saxophone for a jazz show.

3. many corps do not pay for their instruments, I will bet my car that Yamaha would jump on the opportunity to give the Cadets a line of saxophones.

4. allowing woodwinds = more educational opportunities for a wider range of people.

5. a much much larger market.

Even though it would be changing the activity, the "benefits" out weigh the "its not drum corp" argument.

for the record, I say keep drum corp traditional.

you call them benefits. however many fans wouldn't, and would stop attending shows if allowed.

so really, it's a loss

Out of curiosity, if your favorite World Class corps uses woodwinds during their pre-show in 2010, will you automatically tune them out/walk away? Or do you only care about what happens in competition?

I'm REALLY curious to not only see what corps have the guts to do this season during the no-holds-barred pre-show (will corps "play it safe" and stick to only programming aspects from their competition production, will corps go "all out" with woodwinds or other instruments/things that are illegal in competition), but also how fans react to it. Also, will DCI show ushers let people come and go during the five minutes corps are setting up, or if, say, Crown has a woodwind choir accompanying a string chamber orchestra playing to a laser light show for five minutes before show time will the ushers not let people leave their seats to come back?

here's what I don't get...

why spend all that time working on something you'll use for the part of the show that doesn't count?

too many corps already suffer in the judged portion because you can see they're too focused on preshow.

allow me to clarify,

1. this comment was aimed at the people who say woodwinds wont happen just because it will take away from brass. when in the end, directors are thinking about the score more than decible level.

2. true, but woodwinds, or any other instrument, can make sounds that brass cant make.

3. disagree, if money is an issue when it comes to fielding woodwinds (if they are allowed) then, a corps that takes a sponsorship does not have to pay for them... this comment was aimed at the people who say woodwinds will cost too much in an already expensive activity.

4. you are right, but its also opening the playing field for more people.

5. same as above. PLUS, the 'market' im talking about are the people, youth, parents, woodwind players, who will now take interest in DCI because they have something in common. further, DCI now has many many woodwind manufactures to get sponsorships & advertising.

i see what youre talking about in your response, and i see that I was not clear enough, but fyi, if all you do is negate what others say with every opportunity you have, then most will take you less seriously. I agree with you, in a competitive sense, adding woodwinds is just change, not improvement. But there are also many opportunities that arise if woodwinds are allowed.

question...why does drum corps have to be more inclusive for other people?

do you see metal bands opening up and letting saxes in? do you see symphonies opening up and letting contras in?

no.

this continued ######## belief of some that drum corps has to be all things to all people does one very bad thing....

continue to push people away.

given how we have seen no attendance numbers for 2008 and 2009, I can't honestly believe all the new toys are really dragging that many people in the door to make up for those leaving.

sometimes you can tinker with something good and truly #### it up

question...why does drum corps have to be more inclusive for other people?

do you see metal bands opening up and letting saxes in? do you see symphonies opening up and letting contras in?

no.

Uh...symphonies have tubas. Rock bands have used any and all instruments as long as there have been rock bands if they want to.

this continued ######## belief of some that drum corps has to be all things to all people does one very bad thing....

continue to push people away.

Or....continue to attract new people.

sometimes you can tinker with something good and truly #### it up

And sometimes you can make it better.

here's what I don't get...

why spend all that time working on something you'll use for the part of the show that doesn't count?

too many corps already suffer in the judged portion because you can see they're too focused on preshow.

I agree with this in the sense that it's almost silly for a corps to have a crazy over-produced pre-show just to do that. It would seem illogical for corps to sink resources into equipment that takes up valuable truck storage space and maintenance for something not judged anyway.

But as I've mentioned before, if a corps' staff and design team spend too much time designing/cleaning a pre-show at the expense of their competitive show, then that is the fault of the staff/designers and not the system.