Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

Heh.

So is drum corps :tongue:

EXACTLY! :tongue:

Let's keep them ALL distinct! :tongue:

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can say the same thing about some marching bands too?

I think the most distinctive elements of our activity are things that are not easily defined, especially to those uninitiated (heh: literally and figuratively, I guess). The camaraderie of each group, coming from such diverse backgrounds and locations, coming together with one common goal. The bonding that happens on tour with people you may otherwise never know, or even like, in other situations. The family that is built with these organizations is staggering, and something that can really only be compared to the brotherhood/sisterhood of the military. I know guys who may have marched in a corps in the mid-80's, and if asked for help by a current member of their corps 20 or 30 years later, they wouldn't hesitate to help, because it's helping family. It's incredible, and at the end of the day (or marching career, or whatever), it's not the scores or placements that really mean the most, or who you beat or were beaten by (though that's obviously part of it), but who you met and are still friends with long after your shoes are cleared from the age-out field. My wife aged-out nearly 20 years ago, and she is still great friends with many of those she marched with. Our wedding in 1999 was broken literally into two groups: our blood families, and our drum corps families (both the best man and maid of honor were drum corps friends). Those things define drum and bugle corps so much more than the ever-changing instrumentation (to my grandfather, drum corps in the early 80's with grounded pit and asymmetrical drill ended "real" drum corps).

I understand your point, but it sort of drifts away from the thread that asks us " could the new pre show rule lead to woodwinds ? " Your point about " family " and " togetherness " is of course right on the money. That said, your comments could just as easily been said by an alumnus of the Ohio State Buckeyes Marching Band reminiscing about his travels with his Band family in the 4 years of 1976- 1980 and their memorable experience on trips to games, functions, parades, etc including the Rose Bowl parade, game, and what not.

Edited by BRASSO

I understand your point, but it sort of drifts away from the thread that asks us " could the new pre show rule lead to woodwinds ? " Your point about " family " and " togetherness " is of course right on the money. That said, your comments could just as easily been said by an alumnus of the Ohio State Buckeyes Marching Band reminiscing about his travels with his Band family in the 4 years of 1976- 1980 and their memorable experience on trips to games, functions, parades, etc including the Rose Bowl parade, game, and what not.

Could be. It's also possible that drum corps really is just a cool youth activity that we make WAY too much about. It really is just summer band that we all take way too seriously, and aside from the heavy traveling, you can argue that MANY activities give you the same experience as drum corps. I've known many musicians who don't understand the allure of drum corps, and had something similar as an example to the things that I cherished about the activity.

Maybe drum corps is what we want it/remember it to be, and there's not any real set definition of the activity other than what we hang on to. Even something as simple as Christmas can mean drastically different things to different people, depending on their beliefs and experience. You think drum corps = brass/percussion/color guard, the current crop of MM's sees it as that plus synths and amps, and future generations may see it as something else entirely.

And I guess my point, in relation to the point of the thread, is IMO woodwinds don't matter much in the grand scheme of things because I don't think our activity is defined by instrumentation.

Edited by perc2100

Well, to take your example one step further, your vanilla ice cream is still there. Adding chocolate sauce, while maybe not for everyone, is certainly a valid ice cream addition that can enhance the overall dish, provided you don't use too much. Some folks even like to add bananas, whipped cream and a cherry on top. Guess what? It's still vanilla ice cream.

The trick is to figure out what proportions of each addition make the dish tasty, and not a mess. You can't please everyone, but you can please most people.

(and no, the average DCP poster isn't 'most people')

actually, trying to appeal to all is usually the biggest mistake in business

You can say the same thing about some marching bands too?

I think the most distinctive elements of our activity are things that are not easily defined, especially to those uninitiated (heh: literally and figuratively, I guess). The camaraderie of each group, coming from such diverse backgrounds and locations, coming together with one common goal. The bonding that happens on tour with people you may otherwise never know, or even like, in other situations. The family that is built with these organizations is staggering, and something that can really only be compared to the brotherhood/sisterhood of the military. I know guys who may have marched in a corps in the mid-80's, and if asked for help by a current member of their corps 20 or 30 years later, they wouldn't hesitate to help, because it's helping family. It's incredible, and at the end of the day (or marching career, or whatever), it's not the scores or placements that really mean the most, or who you beat or were beaten by (though that's obviously part of it), but who you met and are still friends with long after your shoes are cleared from the age-out field. My wife aged-out nearly 20 years ago, and she is still great friends with many of those she marched with. Our wedding in 1999 was broken literally into two groups: our blood families, and our drum corps families (both the best man and maid of honor were drum corps friends). Those things define drum and bugle corps so much more than the ever-changing instrumentation (to my grandfather, drum corps in the early 80's with grounded pit and asymmetrical drill ended "real" drum corps).

While I agree with you, for the most part, all of those elements exist in marching band as well, to varying degrees. One of the most distinctive elements of today's drum corps is the fact that they still do not include woodwinds. Perhaps drum corps is a subset of marching band, but the instrumentation is still an element that makes it unique from your common marching band.

Edited by dcsnare93

Way to read into what I said. And no, they aren't the average show-going fans. You know it and I know it.

no. they're the ones that show up time and time again, have dvds, vhs, albums, cassettes, maybe 8 tracks and cds.

they're the folks who stuck around in the 90s when attendance was plummeting. they're the folks who went to Orlando 3 years in a row, headaches and all. they're the ones that jumped on the friends of DCI bandwagon in the 80's.

Rock bands have used symphonies many times over the years...Symphonies have used all sorts of instruments in their concert as well. Good thing is...there are no restrictions on any and all instruments.

for special events sure they have worked together.

but drum corps isn't a special event. it was, and becomes less of, a unique artform/competitive genre all of it's own.

GOOD GRIEF...., they don't mix the rock band and the symphony FOREVER. The Rock Band and Symphony come togther on a rare occasion to do a gig together and then they go their separate ways. The rock band keeps it's identity and so doesn't the symphony..... all intact.

Now, if the symphony went home and took the bass guitarist, the lead singer, and drummer with them and told their symphony orchestra season ticket patrons that henceforth these 3 would be featured in all the upcoming symphony shows for 2 years in an " anything goes", format,... you can bet your life that all hell would break loose with the Symphony patrons, and they'd scream bloody blue murder and DEMANDING " restrictions" to that...... or else! And you KNOW it. There is no way on God's green earth the symphony orchestra conductor and symphony orchestra producers would allow the permanent use of a rock singer, bass guitarist, rock drummer into their fold. Nor would rock fans want their favorite rock band to start using oboes, piccolos, opera singers, etc on a permanent basis. If A rock band announced that they would, booing would be the least of that rock band's concerns. The members of that rock band would all need bullet proof vests and 24 hour armed security. And you KNOW this to be true, as well.

:tongue::tongue::tongue: