Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is that there are NO limits on what instruments an orchestra or a rock band can use whenever they want. IMO drum corps should be the same.

And if you get your wish, all drum corps will be the same....as marching bands.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to know why everyone feels that "Marching Band" is a threat to "Drum Corps".

Not sure exactly what you mean by this, so let me take a couple of guesses.

1. Some feel that if DCI allowed full marching band instrumentation, that world-class corps bands would converge to one flavor of instrument selection. Seeing how every world-class corps has conformed to adopt rule-change-introduced equipment such as pit percussion, Bb/F brass, amplification and electronic instruments, there is considerable historical precedent to support that concern.

2. Some feel that the marching band product is not as successful as drum corps on the open market, and that DCI's survival may be endangered by going that route. Again, history shows us reason to be concerned, as drum corps and summer marching band followed remarkably parallel courses over the 60 years following World War II, with drum corps attracting more fans, marchers and open-market dollars than marching band.

right. so let's just take a unique activity and try to make it all things to all people.

you do realize that is a universal failing tactic for any kind of business?

Heh, good luck trying to get the so called "intelligencia" to wrap their heads around that little item. Quite honestly I have never seen an activity that has tried in vain to run away from itself and become non-unique.

Heh, good luck trying to get the so called "intelligencia" to wrap their heads around that little item. Quite honestly I have never seen an activity that has tried in vain to run away from itself and become non-unique.

I'm picturing people connected with DCI thinking "There are more MBs.... more members.... more people in the stands... THEY must be doing it right so we must copy them to tap into those numbers".

I'm picturing people connected with DCI thinking "There are more MBs.... more members.... more people in the stands... THEY must be doing it right so we must copy them to tap into those numbers".

I would think you would be correct. The only problem with it, I can see, is that the ties are with the schools and their own bands and boosters. Kids and parents have to go to school where they pay taxes and school tuition, they don't have to go to drum corps and pay for that single (very expensive) experience. Besides, it's even harder to climb that hill as being something unique anymore. If it looks like band, sounds like band....then it's band to any and all outside people.

Edited by Mello Dude

Fortunately, I don't think that's how it is in reality.

First of all, there aren't more people in the stands at marching band shows. It's pretty much just immediate family/friends of the participants. There is not a sizable fan base like we see with DCI or DCA.

Secondly, I hope it is sufficiently obvious that the reason there are so many more HS marching bands is because they are partially subsidized by our tax dollars. Just the salaries of the band directors alone add up to over $100,000,000 per year. If drum corps had a nine-figure annual tax subsidy, we'd have a lot more corps too.

Fortunately, I don't think that's how it is in reality.

First of all, there aren't more people in the stands at marching band shows. It's pretty much just immediate family/friends of the participants. There is not a sizable fan base like we see with DCI or DCA.

That, IMO, is the real question: how many people at DCI/DCA shows a) never marched corps, b) never volunteered or worked with a corps, c) don't have friends or family in a corps and d) are not of marching age hoping to march in the future (obviously not really a question for DCA).

I'm legitimately curious who the REAL fan base is of the average DCI show. Are there numbers of people randomly coming off the streets to check out drum corps, or are the large majority of fans falling into the above categories, and are thus similar to marching band shows.

I honestly don't know, but I would venture to guess that DCI's fan base is VERY similar to marching band crowds, with the obvious exception that marching band crowds are largely there to support their kids in the local area the show is at (i.e. if you have a marching band of 190 kids, when you perform in a show 15 miles away chances are many parents of those kids will be at the show to cheer the band/their kids on). In DCI I would venture to guess you have more alumni and wanna-be's (not meaning that in a bad way) than parents at a lot of shows, but we're still talking about people who already either have roots in the activity or want to have roots in the activity: and not outsiders.

And I would also stipulate that there is a sizable fan base for BOA Championships, fairly comparable to DCI (i.e. people who come out in Nov. to make the trip even though they don't have a kid in band). I'd be curious to know how big the crowd was at BOA Championships this year, especially in comparison to DCI Championships.

What I think will happen with this rule and you can all pretend to act surprised when it does…

The pre-show will involve a multi-media presentation with a mini-movie showing on the jumbo-tron as the intro that seaways into the start of the show, so your extra drum corps time will be spent watching a movie

Of course, issues will appear with house lights up or down, they’ll allow Hopkins (and a few other of the big boys) to dim them and then pass a rule the following year to make it official….then they’ll do the same during a show and the TV will be in the show…..corps hits a form, lights go down quickly, show a movie clip on the Jumbotron with maybe a chick biting an apple, lights go up and the corps is in a new form, guard has new stuff too....cowtown pukes and rips his eyes out of his head and throws them at Dan, the destroyer, Acheson

Before they leave the Oil Can, a entire host of rules will develop that basically means all shows will be indoors

Until they can do their own superbowl half time shows, their vision (the DCI board) won’t be complete

And we’ll all pretend they are creative and its all about teaching the kids

perc2100 brings up a longstanding "sticking point" with me. Is this activity doing its best attract the casual, walk-in spectator? My observation is, over the years, the drum corps organizations AND THEIR SHOW SPONSORS often lost sight of this important goal.

To an extent, they have elected to "self-limit" the size of their audience through ticket price increases to meet declining customer counts. I believe some shows have little chance to attract brand new fans. Even the worst seats in the house have become somewhat pricey for newbies. Should they still pony-up the funds to see what we do, sitting past the goal line does not present us in a positive light. How many become repeat customers based on their first impression? I think few, especially if they also endure bad weather with no make-up date available.