Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

You know, there's no point arguing over this. None of you are corps directors/board members who vote on this stuff so this really doesnt matter. You're getting worked up over what THEY thought will be BEST for the corps this season.

As for the pre-show and age rule. If you read them, you would understand them

This is known as a chat room, where people chat and express differing opinions. That is the point of arguing this, expression of opinions. We know or I should say feel, that the directors of corps and DCI itself could care less what we think. It is evident every time they do anything. The customer is never brought into the discussion. They are just expected to swallow the changes put forth and LIKE IT. Then you get some directors, one in particular who contemplates quite extensively, " what is wrong with drum corps today", but doesn't see the forest through the trees, and doesn't look in the direction of the forest when shown by the fans who live there. If no one argued over anything, this would be a really boring chatroom. IMO.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would lead to including woodwinds.

Why would a corps add woodwind players, if it detracts from the powerful brass sound?

My second and third point just adds to the already staggering cost of the activity, and why would corps want to increase their operating costs?

Interesting topic though.

DCI will add woodwinds to further remove the differences between drum corps and marching band under the hope that DCI will then achieve the same prominence in the marching band world as the corps world thus ensuring the gigs of that handful of people who run this activity. The mountain (marching band) has still not yet come to Mohammed (DCI) so Mohammed is coming to the mountain, to paraphrase.

Cost is of little concern to them because every major change in the activity has carried with it additional costs, most of them substantial and as long as the top 6 "Supercorps" can handle it that is all they are concerned about. These issues disappear when DCI starts becoming all about publically financed competitive units.

This is known as a chat room, where people chat and express differing opinions. That is the point of arguing this, expression of opinions.

I'm with you so far.

We know or I should say feel, that the directors of corps and DCI itself could care less what we think. It is evident every time they do anything. The customer is never brought into the discussion.

Yea, not so much here. You may feel or think so, but the fact is this...how many discussions amongst directors and corps staffs have you been apart of lately? If the answer is no (and I bet it is), you have no clue what is discussed. You may think they don't care, but you don't really know.

It's one thing to have an opinion on a topic, it's quite another to pronounce facts with no evidence to back it up. I can tell you that directors and corps staff do consider the fans. Maybe some more than others to varying degrees, but it's happening.

Right now, a lot of consideration is being given to the fans and the audience experience at shows. It's been a major topic of conversation. Now you and I may agree that designers should consider entertainment to a higher degree (and again, some do more than others), but to say no consideration is being given to the fans at all is flat out wrong.

There IS an underpinning to many opinions here saying "DCI is now, and has been destroying drum corps." I don't agree.

If we think back to when and why DCI was formed, more importantly, WHO formed it, we must recognized it was created to protect and promote the "super corps" at that time. Those high-end groups wanted to determine their own fate, not carry out the wishes of the American Legion or VFW. Their new organization accomplished that. Nothing has changed today.

I haven't read the DCI By-laws (charter?) but I doubt the organization took responsibility for preserving EVERY drum corps on Earth, then and forever more. The organization DOES open an opportunity to EVERY drum corps on Earth to earn their way into an elite group (top 12, top 25) who shall determine how best to protect and promote a "super corps" group of participants.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of non-member corps pursued the dream of becoming part of this elite group. Many of them failed and bankrupted themselves in the process.

If we believe in the "survival of the fittest" theory, we see that concept continuing to play out. As consumers, WE do not have to buy into it. Yet, if the new vision and changes work for those who decide to make them, fine! There can be success without those who express their dismay here.

Time will tell.

There IS an underpinning to many opinions here saying "DCI is now, and has been destroying drum corps." I don't agree.

If we think back to when and why DCI was formed, more importantly, WHO formed it, we must recognized it was created to protect and promote the "super corps" at that time. Those high-end groups wanted to determine their own fate, not carry out the wishes of the American Legion or VFW. Their new organization accomplished that. Nothing has changed today.

I haven't read the DCI By-laws (charter?) but I doubt the organization took responsibility for preserving EVERY drum corps on Earth, then and forever more. The organization DOES open an opportunity to EVERY drum corps on Earth to earn their way into an elite group (top 12, top 25) who shall determine how best to protect and promote a "super corps" group of participants.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of non-member corps pursued the dream of becoming part of this elite group. Many of them failed and bankrupted themselves in the process.

If we believe in the "survival of the fittest" theory, we see that concept continuing to play out. As consumers, WE do not have to buy into it. Yet, if the new vision and changes work for those who decide to make them, fine! There can be success without those who express their dismay here.

Time will tell.

At the First DCI Convention, dozens of Corps Directors that came at their own espense were astounded to find that the Board of Directors were already chosen, the By Laws were already proposed, debated, voted on, and had became the official By Laws of DCI before they had even unpacked their bags in their hotel room. It was already the beginning for the Elites ( majority still in existence to this day ) and for 95% of the other Corps it was the beginning of the end, as they had nowhere to go by to DCI and to play by their rules that right from the get go was set up to advantage the handful at the very top.

Edited by BRASSO

I believe it will be your generation that will fight this battle over the use of woodwinds in DCI Field competition. It will be fought with the new generation that are not here, but will soon arrive.

Those of us that have fought ( and lost ) the battle over faux sound synths, guitars, singing, narration, amplification, etc. will pass the torch to you and your generation to fight those who will be coming ( some already here as you can see from DCP ) that will be vigorously in support of woodwinds useage. Here's hoping that when we are dead and gone, fans like you will have better success than us in the battle to preserve this great musical marching activity.

Us old guys consider it a compliment when we're mistaken for young guys. I saw my first drum corps in 1973 when I was in high school. Loved it then. Love it today.

HH

I have NEVER stated ( I at least don't remember) DCI destroyed drum corps.

However, they have pretty much destrpyed drum and BUGLE corps.

Tme will tell if that was good or not. Right now it shows as a GREAT move for those who have survived.

You know, there's no point arguing over this. None of you are corps directors/board members who vote on this stuff so this really doesnt matter.

You know this for sure ?