Pirated finals videos

Late to the thread and I think all the good points have been taken

So Ill keep it brief

I’m not about to play cop and get in someone else business, if I were that offended, I’d get a DCI person. I see it as going 2 ways mainly, I get in a fight and we both get thrown out or the person tells me they are only filming their kids show, which they have not seen in 3 months and it cost them 50K in music education to get the kid to the point of marching

DCI missed the boat on youtube; they have to be one of the very few organizations that tried to shut down viral marketing, beyond stupid IMO. But hey, when VCR hit, the movie industry, mainly through greed tried to shut it down until they learned how to work the secondary VCR market. Even flops could rake the bucks. The music industry went through the same thing with digital; again, greed can be blindly and even now they stopped enforcing it, although a few bands will never recover from the backlash of their very public anti-piracy stance

The Grateful Dead were a rather mediocre band that learned the lesson early and became one of the top grossing touring acts by letting people record and pass around their music. Had they not done that, they’d have been dust-binned long ago

I’d love to see DCI encourage the personal recordings then have people send it in then do a big fan edit of a show and release it – now there is a way to get paid on this

What I wonder is, I never signed a contract or any sort of consent waiver when I marched yet DCI is banking off it, still selling the years I marched. Maybe I should go for back performance royalties? Greed goes all ways, right?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so many here ready to turn on one of their own. Are you the DCI police? No? Then it's not your place to say or do anything IMO.

You mean people on this forum are quick to jump in with their opinion when asked?! WOW.

The OP asked a "what would you do" type of question, many of us responded. Some decided to stick to/help DCI enforce both the accepted and known rules AS WELL AS known copyright laws. Some decided to turn a blind eye. Some decided "hey, it's not that big of a deal, and I REALLY want a recording, and DVD's are expensive, and the Fan Network is expensive, so it's OK to record for my own personal use."

Whatever; it's just a discussion.

Warning: Stupid comment coming up

Ok, only on my 1st cup of coffee but this got me thinking about stupid things....

Oh never mind, using cheap knock offs of dress designers doesn't really compare. People who want quality will always pay for it.

WHO DAT

Me and a girl from NO were watching in a bar in paris and got a bunch of french guys to scream it....except it came out as "WHOOZAAAT", or "OOOOODAT" :smile:

The Grateful Dead were a rather mediocre band that learned the lesson early and became one of the top grossing touring acts by letting people record and pass around their music. Had they not done that, they’d have been dust-binned long ago

Key distinction....it really was "their music".

You mean people on this forum are quick to jump in with their opinion when asked?! WOW.

The OP asked a "what would you do" type of question, many of us responded. Some decided to stick to/help DCI enforce both the accepted and known rules AS WELL AS known copyright laws. Some decided to turn a blind eye. Some decided "hey, it's not that big of a deal, and I REALLY want a recording, and DVD's are expensive, and the Fan Network is expensive, so it's OK to record for my own personal use."

It wasn't peoples opinions to the OP's questions I was referring to, rather their overreacting lynch mob attitude towards the terrorist with the video camera.

Does it hurt anyone? YES. It hurts the corps who are the one who get most of the proceeds of the recordings. The bulk of those proceeds doesn't go to the DCI office, it sure as heck doesn't go to me, and it doesn't even go to Tom Blair. IT GOES TO THE CORPS! Tell me that isn't hurting the corps. You can't. Again, period.

I'd accept this explanation, except that corps administrators definitely know that portions of their membership rip and upload their DVD performances for their Facebook friends to see.

Edited by fourouttheforty

I've been to traffic court plenty of times, but would never use that logic as a defense. I just think police resources could be better utilized. Wrist slap "crimes" like speeding, possession of marijuana for personal use etc. are more about making money for the government than actually looking out for public well being, IMO.

Dude, DON'T get me started.

North of me in Palo Alto (where Stanford University is) they have zones with a 25mph posted speed limit in areas where here in San Jose they would be posted 45.

Reason??

More money for the municipal coffers, of course. And man, do they CLEAN UP.

If it weren't for speeding tickets the police cruisers wouldn't be able to afford such beautiful hand painted paint jobs and what not. What a tragedy THAT would be.

Yeah. That's it. Thanks for clarifying.

The DCI police.

I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but based on long experience with both usenet and places where this stuff goes around, DCI effectively gutted the "bootleg" market with the creation of Fan Network. What I took away from my armchair analysis over the last few years is that there wasn't so much a demand for free material as there was a demand for up-to-date-during-the-summer material, and once DCI satisfied this, most of the "major" bootleg guys stopped doing it. At least in online sharing - I can't say for in-stadium recording.

Mike

the problem is people rip it off the fan network and it goes on youtube, facebook, myspace etc.