Phantom Regiment looking for a few low brass

My complaint about synths is not them per se...it is when they are used to double contras on the same pitch...especially when they double them on whole notes. The unique sound of a horn line putting out a mass of sound is one of the unique treasures of drum corps. More than a few corps spoiled that last summer by having their synth player (who, yes, I will agree probably has some serious piano skills...) hold down a key; and thereby cover massive portions of sound from the brass players -AND fundamentally change the blend as well as alter that formerly unique sound making it far more commercial.

So - I'll stand by my comment above: it takes NO skill for a corps to have a synth player double the bass at pitch.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My complaint about synths is not them per se...it is when they are used to double contras on the same pitch...especially when they double them on whole notes. The unique sound of a horn line putting out a mass of sound is one of the unique treasures of drum corps. More than a few corps spoiled that last summer by having their synth player (who, yes, I will agree probably has some serious piano skills...) hold down a key; and thereby cover massive portions of sound from the brass players -AND fundamentally change the blend as well as alter that formerly unique sound making it far more commercial.

So - I'll stand by my comment above: it takes NO skill for a corps to have a synth player double the bass at pitch.

Hear, hear!!!!

Especially when a corps fielding 16 BASSES does this with their synths.........I have a hard time deciding whether to laugh or to cry.

Hear, hear!!!!

Especially when a corps fielding 16 BASSES does this with their synths.........I have a hard time deciding whether to laugh or to cry.

laughter through tears is my favorite emotion! ($1 to Dolly Parton)

although this shouldn't be happening at a drum corps show.

Good luck finding people Regiment.

SUTA

This will be a tough year finding those last minute people to fill holes. Many colleges are increasing tuitions dramatically for next year due to state funding cuts, etc., loans are getting very tough to come by, and most people have to work this summer to make up for salary/bonus cuts and/or job losses within their family. Some of these upper echelon corps will be calling many of their cuts to see if they still want to march just so they can have bodies that can pay.

Phantom Regiment is searching for a few more outstanding low brass players for the 2010 season. Both euphonium and tuba. Drum corps experience necessary. Contact corps director Dan Farrell at dan@regiment.org or 815-226-2835 or brass caption head JD Shaw at jdshaw@regiment.org.

If they're willing to forego their competitive status and take on someone who's almost twice the age limit, I'm game.

I just farted.

or was that a low F?

no..it was the brown note!!!!!!!!!

This will be a tough year finding those last minute people to fill holes. Many colleges are increasing tuitions dramatically for next year due to state funding cuts, etc., loans are getting very tough to come by, and most people have to work this summer to make up for salary/bonus cuts and/or job losses within their family. Some of these upper echelon corps will be calling many of their cuts to see if they still want to march just so they can have bodies that can pay.

If there is a plus t the 150 member rule, it's that it is virtually impossible to tell the differance between a corps with 145 members vs 150 members. There is the hastle of closing holes, but I seriously doubt any of the top corps will be filling holes with less than desirable members just to put bodies on the field.