As long as we're stirring pots...Why so many camps?

On a similar note, I've always wondered why corps are doing a month or more of everydays. Corps are moving in the third week of May now and not hitting the road untill mid-June.

When I marched not all that long ago (2002-2003) we did two weeks. That was it. And we still had the show on the field at a pretty polished level for June. What the hell are these corps doing with their time that they need 4-5 weeks worth of everydays?

I've always wondered that too. When I marched, Memorial Day weekend was our last camp. Our season started the next weekend and our show, minus the very ending was on the field. It boggles my mind that corps today have 4-5 weeks of everydays before the season starts and they can't even have the whole show on the field in time. It doesn't make sense. This especially irks me with SCV, because I feel they are always playing catch up because their staff can't get the show on the field in time. Not trying to signal SCV out - just love them so much and wish they would return to their kickin' butt ways :doh:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no one gave the usual stand by answer.."because things are so much harder now and they need the practice" which goes agsint the "we are better players now then back then" arguement.

But as long as we have enough corps to fill a tour and people willing to scarifice to march thatrs the way it will be until we go to everydays from Decembers to June.

Corps have fewer winter camps today than they did 20-25 years ago. In my case, at both Suncoast and Blue Devils I remember having full camps twice per month in the winter, and about two weeks of all-days in June. Both corps also had Sunday rehearsals on off weekends, and sectional rehearsals during the week (with varying degrees of attendance).

The corps I teach now had only one camp per month (two in May) and two weeks of every days in 2009 (haven't looked at this year's schedule that closely yet). If you count the rehearsal hours, it's a lot less now than it was then.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

winter camps are important for the staff to get to hear the music and make changes. They are important for the visual staff to start to teach technique.

I've always wondered that too. When I marched, Memorial Day weekend was our last camp. Our season started the next weekend and our show, minus the very ending was on the field. It boggles my mind that corps today have 4-5 weeks of everydays before the season starts and they can't even have the whole show on the field in time. It doesn't make sense.

part of it is surely that there is more drill to learn now. Of course, 4 weeks with 26 days (2 off days / laundry / etc) should let you learn 260 pages at 10 pages/day. 10 seems like a solid number to pick... I don't really remember, but I think some days we learned more than 10 pages, and some days less, so 10 might be a good average.

Also, I think some of it is that you aren't penalized for not having a full show ready to go, so there is no incentive to do so. Maybe the staff decides to spend a day cleaning the opener instead of learning new drill. Maybe they spend another day cleaning the second song instead of learning more drill. The staff chooses to have 4/5 of a show ready at "B" quality instead of an entire show ready at "C+" quality.

Edited by soccerguy315

On a similar note, I've always wondered why corps are doing a month or more of everydays. Corps are moving in the third week of May now and not hitting the road untill mid-June.

When I marched not all that long ago (2002-2003) we did two weeks. That was it. And we still had the show on the field at a pretty polished level for June. What the hell are these corps doing with their time that they need 4-5 weeks worth of everydays?

Well the bluecoats this pass season had their drill writer drop out on them so it gave the newer drill writer some more time before the first show to write the drill for them. Pacific Crest doesn't even have move ins though

Here's another hypothesis: With high school students still in the mix, there may be difficulties getting on the road sooner. More and more school systems going longer into the summer. In order to integrate those students, corps stay in all-days longer and first shows are well into June. (It's not that much different than my experience, though. Our first shows were around June 15-18, IIRC.)

Monthly camps are how those students learn basic rehearsal technique long before those all-days start. I also think there are more and more visual demands placed on marching members, particularly in the world of body movement, core strength, etc. Spring camps are the time to work on those basics rather than having to teach them to everyone in May-June.

All-days for most corps are specifically for learning drill.

To do this they need to make sure the members know the rehearsal etiquette, have their music memorized, know the marching technique, and trust the other members.

Camps are designed to teach/reinforce the things that have to be present at all-days so that their time is used as efficiently as possible. If you can learn the drill in 2 weeks that leaves a full week for cleaning drill before the first show. And good first impressions lead to good initial scores which leads to better seeding positions.

The importance of the camps is not really in question. I think the cost factor has become the biggest problem. My Jr corps days was early to mid 80s. although even then tour dues were over $1000, we did not have to pay to be at camp or even to audition that I can remember. And they still fed us, and housed us. When they actually started to charge members just to attend camp, I'm not so sure when that started. If you think in terms of business, it was a great idea.. the cost to run a corps much less take it on tour has tripled in the past 20 plus years. When all it used to cost was $250K a year.. its now almost a million. Back in the 80's corps never bought equipment every year. Now they change equipment like they do old socks. And with the advent of the generic uniform look. Corps change them often as well. I'm sure if you look at the spending habits of corps from 20 years ago apposed to today, you will see where all these additional charges come from.

Increasing the total number of members to 150 could be a factor. More people = more time needed to learn and clean.

Just an idea...

:thumbup: