1986 Garfield

I dunno...wan't nearly as loud as you'd think that many horns would be, and the program seemed more than a bit disjointed...a big letdown after the spectacularness of 87.

Wow, how did 86 come AFTER 87? You has teh time travl?!?!? :worthy:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also remember that the visual design team that MADE Garfield what it was (and revolutionized DCI more than any other persons) all bolted to Star of Indiana full time for the 1986 season. And look at the anomaly that was Indy that year. A bunch of creative geniuses all hogging that spotlight (whatever THAT is) without Don Angelica holding them all together (which he did when they were in Jersey). Remember those hamster cages on the sidelines early season? WTH? That amounted to giving kids a blank check. And when they all left Star (booted?) and returned to Garfield in '87, Angelica died, and thus Cesario was pushed out. Good for him. He resurrected Phantom.

"On the Waterfront" is roughly 20 minutes of terrific music, and I wish the Cadets had brought it back. Now with the new "Bernstein rule" in effect, I doubt we'll hear it again. :worthy:

"On the Waterfront" is roughly 20 minutes of terrific music, and I wish the Cadets had brought it back. Now with the new "Bernstein rule" in effect, I doubt we'll hear it again. :worthy:

We had 84 horns.

You mean like we heard it in 2008 with Bluecoats? :worthy:

"Bernstein Rule"??

details, please. Or is that the bit from the Bernstein estate about not just using snippets?

I loved the '86 show. The demand level was through the roof for the marching members for that era.

That hornline was flawless in the arc by late season.

Keep in mind that the corps was feverishly preparing for their performance at the Statue of Liberty rededication that summer. They had 30 minutes of patriotic music prepared (that they had to somehow learn on the road outside their regular rehearsal schedule). I heard a recounting suggesting that when the big day finally came, the corps performed their show at the Statue and was immediately whisked off the stage. They never had an opportunity to perform all the music they learned through the summer. Can you imagine what that must have felt like?

Anybody able to confirm this?

All I know is all the other corps got treated to a new piece every night at retreat compliments of the Garfield Cadets.

Scooter,

86 was my sister's ageout year in Cadets. She hated the show, she and her friends from the 82-85 era were completely bummed about the direction the corps took that year, and she said if she tripped over those freakin' boxing rings one more time, someone was gonna get hurt. That said, they were one motivated group of little maniacs, and I agree that by year's end they were pretty stinking good...again.

I know that the Statue of Liberty gig was a huge time sink and, by many accounts, a huge disappointment, once it finally happened. However, I will leave the telling of the details to someone who was actually there. I was working at CBS in Philly that night and we saw a ton of pictures coming over the wires, including some great one of Garfield, but their actual coverage was minimal, at best.

Cheers!

KS

Not only was 84 horns pretty cool .... but live they were much louder than the recording. The opening mello solo was pretty sweet in prelims. That was the loudest small battery I've every heard ... and they were playing over their heads before it ever became popular just to be heard. The only letdown in the show for me was the closer. First 9 minutes was pure Garfield and I loved it.

It's still a pretty amazing feat that Garfield 86 placed fourth with only 12 guard members! I think if you're a casual fan of the activity and didn't know any of the behind-the-scenes stories from Cadets 86, you would still be able to easily enjoy and appreciate that show. I think it's a show that EASILY gets lost, coming in between the 83-85 and 97 Championship masterpieces, yet it is still a strong design and performance from Cadets. I think they obviously thought outside the box for the year, and while perhaps took a misstep the corps was able to make the best of the situation and come out with a strong product. I really dig the music for the most part and think it's a pretty good show