I've looked at it but I take a weight training/kinesiology class so I'm already in the weight room 5+ times a week but it's more strengthening than toning.

I'm interested in this but do you need anything besides the DVDs they sell you like free weights or something?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Cadets?! :rolleyes:

The Cadets don't really march with uber-straight legs anymore. . . Which is fine, because A. They still march pretty uniformly and B. Ultra-straight legs are bad for your knees and for your tone.

I second the www.crossfit.com notion. I have followed the Workout Of the Day with certain scaling for about 2 years now and it is by far the best workout program and philosophy I have ever encountered. Plus, the people who really follow this are pretty crazy: the same crazy it takes to practice 12 hours a day every day during the summer. P90X seems like a legit program to me but I would rather go with all the info on the Crossfit page to learn more in depth why and how you do what you do, the virtually unlimited workouts between all the affiliates , and oh yeah, did I mention it is free.

Sorry if I seem to be plugging Crossfit but I truly believe in it and also believe everyone would benefit tremendously by following it to any degree.

Feel free to pm or ask me any questions

Wow I am excited this thread popped up because I have been thinking about P90X for a while. I am a regular gym user, runner, etc, but the problem is muscle memory. If you do not mix it up you stop making gains/improvements. I think P90 would be a great regimen for today's kids. First off their shows are way more physically demanding and they need a solid regimen not only to be able to make it through their shows, but also to strengthen core, balance, and micro muscles to prevent injury. The thing about P90 is it will do this and it will not mimic their current movements through the show and therefore throw off muscle memory.

However, Since DCI needs cash all the time I think they should hire the P90 guy and make a tailor made Drum Corps physical training set and sell the Shiite out of it IMHO.

Edited by taters

I second the www.crossfit.com notion. I have followed the Workout Of the Day with certain scaling for about 2 years now and it is by far the best workout program and philosophy I have ever encountered. Plus, the people who really follow this are pretty crazy: the same crazy it takes to practice 12 hours a day every day during the summer. P90X seems like a legit program to me but I would rather go with all the info on the Crossfit page to learn more in depth why and how you do what you do, the virtually unlimited workouts between all the affiliates , and oh yeah, did I mention it is free.

Sorry if I seem to be plugging Crossfit but I truly believe in it and also believe everyone would benefit tremendously by following it to any degree.

Feel free to pm or ask me any questions

for sure, I don't follow the WOD, but I do crossfit workouts based on my own schedule. IMO, it simulates the ending push of the show where you wanna give up but you don't, except you feel like that the WHOLE time, then worse, then you feel like you are going to die, then you pass out for a few hours. >_>

If you want to be FIT then Crossfit is the way to go.

Most are quick 20-25 minute workouts which fit right in with drum corps training.

All the workouts can be scaled for every persons ability and the results are unmatched.

You do lose the convenience factor of being able to workout at home. Some of those workouts require membership to a gym, which may not be feasible to some people. Although, I will admit it is a great way to get in shape. All in all comes down to personal preference, do what works for you and what you wanna do.

Hey guys,

Thought I would weigh in on this one. The P90X program is probably one of the best programs that I have ever seen. This program has a few different options in terms of your fitness goals and the way you set up your workouts. There is a three tiered system to it, if I understand it correctly. There is an option for those who are looking to for more intensive cardio workout. There is the standard option, for those are looking to get a great mix of everything (cardio, body sculpting, yoga, plyometrics, etc.). Then there is the more intense option for those who are looking to get just absolutely shredded. For many females, they choose to do the more cardio driven option. Most males go the classic route. You choose what fits best with your fitness goals. The program comes with a fantastic guide that explains all of these various options and how to go about it to be successful.

In terms of cost effectiveness, I believe you will actually find that by going with this program and getting the equipment they ask for will be cheaper in the long run than going to the gym and paying for a gym membership every month. The initial cost will seem high because of the equipment, dvd purchase, but in the long run, it seems to be more cost efficient.

For those who are not quite ready for the intensity of P90X, check out Power 90, which is the program that was created before P90X. It is a fantastic program and it will get you ready for a successful drum corps season. Personal testimony to this program.....I have done this program and in less than 5 months, I lost 135 lbs. I kid you not!!! Cost wise, it is slightly cheaper than P90X, and the amount of equipment you need is way less. It is set up in a "no fail" manner. If you follow the program, you will get results.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Animal13

There's a thing call ironman and when you're training for that anything else does not seem that bad.