Audience Comments!

this wasnt really at a show but at rehearsal we were passing by all these kids and one was like "where are the trombones?' he didnt ask about the woodwinds so I kept my smart mouth shut. :tongue:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell anyone (my students included) that's attending a show for the first time with me that they should say absolutely nothing negative about anyone or anything. Keep the negative to yourself in the stands. You never know who is sitting within earshot of you. This isn't just to avoid a confrontation, but mostly to not be rude and insensitive. I would be mortified if there were anyone that had paid good money to come to a show and watch their child, sibling, or maybe had marched in a certain corps that thought I was bagging on the very thing they came to see. I hear it every time I attend a show when someone says something negative (sometimes mildly) about a corps. I cringe each time and think :tongue:

This is wonderful advice !!

In Allentown last year the guy next to me kept going on and on during the first half of the show about how if you were not in the running for a spot in the top 12 you did not deserve to be in World Class.

In Allentown last year the guy next to me kept going on and on during the first half of the show about how if you were not in the running for a spot in the top 12 you did not deserve to be in World Class.

Perhaps he was on a cut list for a top 12 corps. :smile:

I met a couple last year in San Antonio who went to Denver, Dallas, San Antonio, were headed to Atlanta, Allentown, and Indy. They didn't say anything bad, just made me jealous! :smile:

That guy was a nitwit. Allentown is a 2 night show, with the Corps split between the 2 nights. 'Not sure why he would remark on TOP 12 as he'd have no insight on that in the one night line up of Corps at Allentown. And his need to " go on and on " about it by repeating it over and over again, seems weird. Plus, 'not sure why he'd care if DCI put the Corps in Open or World Class division anyway. That decision by DCI and those corps had no effect on him at all. ' Sounds like that guy that sat beside you at that Allentown show had a screw loose.

Edited by BRASSO

' Sounds like that guy that sat beside you at that Allentown show had a screw loose.

That an insult to those of us who do have screws loose

That an insult to those of us who do have screws loose

Well, sometimes a screwdriver can either fix it, or wash it all away, as the case may be Mike... ( haha)

It was about:

- Vocals

-Delays

-Hop

-The fact that DCI was in Cali and Cadets beat Devils the last two shows.

-Lack of information

-ignorance

-crappy Stadium

-Lack of hash marks

- DCI not giving a clear expiation as to why the Cadets were leaving the field

Here's a post from Aug 2007

Did the boos affect The Cadets' performance? Absolutely! Who could have been prepared for anything even close to what they encountered. Did George do the right thing by pulling them off the field to permit the field to be relined?

Absolutely! The Cavaliers, performing just before the Cadets, experienced several members falling, and their Director not only notified George of the condition of the field, but was solidly in support of George's decision. The irony is that the Cavaliers were the only corps that would have benefited from a penalty assessed against the Cadets, but Mr. Fiedler, like George, chose to do the right thing rather than the advantageous thing. It amazes me how so many people both in the stands and in the theaters characterized what occurred according to their own distorted prejudices and/or invalid assumptions. On Thursday night in the Rose Bowl the audience became a mob, and our long-held belief that drum corps people were something special was tarnished forever .

Second- Jackson, Mississippi. People Booed the Star of Indiana.[

Heh, can't say I exactly agree with all the given points.

Having been at both semis and finals myself, as well, I don't recall a lot of negativity surrounding the venue or Cadets placements leading into finals night. I wouldn't necessarily consider those huge contributing factors as to why the crowd reacted the way they did. As someone else put it, it seemed more to do with a release of a long build up of discontent -- mostly directed at George Hopkins. The hashmarks just gave people an opportunity to be more vocal about it.

Regardless, what happened was a bit disappointing.

Orlando, 1997. Damien, I know you worked just as hard as everyone else in the Glassmen. But I got to sit next to your family at finals. Your extended family:

Is this Damien's group?

No, he is with the Glassmen. They go on in a little while.

Is this Damien's group?

No, he is with the Glassmen. They might be next. I'll check the program.

Is this Damien's group?

No, he is with the Glassmen. Like it says on your tee-shirt. And your seat cushion. I'm not sure who this is.

Is this Damien's group?

No, he is with the Glassmen. Right here in the program it says they are next.

Is this Damien's group?

Yes, this is the Glassmen.

It's Damien! It's Damien! Which one is Damien?

He plays baritone.

Is that a big instrument?

Yes. He's right there on the 45 yard line.

No, that's a girl.

Behind the girl, moving to his left.

IT'S DAMIEN!!!!!!!!! Where did he go now? Why are the flags in the way?

He's on the 40 now, to the 35, and he's stopped there (standing and pointing now) right there.

WOW, THEY WERE GREAT! I can't believe how much better they were than everybody else. They are so going to win.

I wonder what Damien's doing now. He was SO GREAT.....

Shhhhhh. The next group is playing now.

But they were AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Shhhhhh. The next group is playing now.

I don't think this group is better than Damien's group.