Are todays guard styles hurting

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD, Bluecoats, last year especially, in 08 the Cadets for more than a few around me...and 06 too.

but I do know many older fans that don't "get it" after multiple viewings, and even some my age, and they get tired of hearing people say "you should learn about it before you go".

They just want to go, be entertained and go home, not do homework before to make sure they "get it"

I think you are referring to the difference between "getting" a show and "enjoying" a show. Like Cadets 08, I think everyone "got" the idea that there there was a woman talking about her persuit of happiness. I mean, you have to either be deaf or stubborn not to understand that. But, people were like "wtf? why? what's the point?" i don't think thats a result not "getting it" its just that it didn't appeal to people. So actually, if you think about it. Its when people look too much into a show that they alienate themselves from it (by asking "why?"). If people just said, "Cadets 08 is about a woman's pursuit of happiness" and left it at that there would probably be more people who enjoyed the show. Personally, I didn't like that show very much even tho I "got it"... :P

In general I think there really is very little to "get" in a drum corps. Even in the most abstract shows that have been created. And just because an idea is abstract doesn't mean that it can't be understood even in its simplist forms. Its just that the new abstract stuff is more often questioned with "why?" and not "what?" and that makes people turn away from it. Its not relatable but it is understandable.

Edited by Rimba47

I show a lot of different shows to friends when they come round to my house.

the majority of people watching the 'old school' corps are blown away by the precision of the guards. they say they like the way everything is done in time.

That same majority say that the modern guards dont compare. they say that their feet are out of time when they're 'running' around the field, the equipment work may be more intricate but isn't as effective as it's not as clean and sharp and also that the obviously fake emotion on the faces seems like they are trying too hard. apparently emotion should be conveyed effortlessly! (I dont know, I'm a soprano player!)

a few of the people I know are dancers and cant believe that the whole organisation seems to have gone down the route of the dancing guard as what we had (and they've seen) in the late 80's through to the very early 90's was a good mixture of solid equipment work SUPPLEMENTED by dance, not the other way round.

My friends also tell me that a large guard using the same coloured flags doing moves in time is much more effective that a guard dressed in different clothes all doing their own thing.

I'm a LGBT liaison officer at work and quite a few of my house guests are from the community. Several have commented on how Drum Corps guards have changed. Not one called the old school Blue Devils rifle line 'butch lesbians' for being military and bad ### yet many have commented on how 'camp' the modern guards can look!

I've e-mailed a link to this thread and asked their opinions on it. i'll let you know what the results are. I have to warn you though most of my friends from the gay community aren't particularly PC!

Me? I like Blue Devils 88 guard and Madisons rifle line in the early 80's, just so you know ;-)

Many apologies if I've offended anybody.

Good post. I agree with you, totally!

Oh, my group of friends also agree with you and your group of friends! :shutup:

I think you are referring to the difference between "getting" a show and "enjoying" a show. Like Cadets 08, I think everyone "got" the idea that there there was a woman talking about her persuit of happiness. I mean, you have to either be deaf or stubborn not to understand that. But, people were like "wtf? why? what's the point?" i don't think thats a result not "getting it" its just that it didn't appeal to people. So actually, if you think about it. Its when people look too much into a show that they alienate themselves from it (by asking "why?"). If people just said, "Cadets 08 is about a woman's pursuit of happiness" and left it at that there would probably be more people who enjoyed the show. Personally, I didn't like that show very much even tho I "got it"... :P

In general I think there really is very little to "get" in a drum corps. Even in the most abstract shows that have been created. And just because an idea is abstract doesn't mean that it can't be understood even in its simplist forms. Its just that the new abstract stuff is more often questioned with "why?" and not "what?" and that makes people turn away from it. Its not relatable but it is understandable.

believe it or not, listening to people around me, it goes hand in hand. there are many shows I dont "get" but can enjoy on some level, even if it means a bathroom break. but to more than a few, it does go hand in hand, especially with older fans.

but no, guards aren't more feminine

Who died and made you Dr. Phil? So someone asking a legitimate question makes them a homophobe or artistically challenged? Maybe YOU'RE the one with the issues since you're so quick to diagnose someone. Doctor, heal thyself. :shutup:

I'm starting to like you.

I've e-mailed a link to this thread and asked their opinions on it. i'll let you know what the results are. I have to warn you though most of my friends from the gay community aren't particularly PC!

Whoa whoa whoa wait:

So......we spend tremendous amounts of energy around here, walking on egg shells, so as to not dare appear to offend the gay community, ............ and you're telling me your friends from the gay community aren't PC???!!!???

If that ain't irony...

Whoa whoa whoa wait:

So......we spend tremendous amounts of energy around here, walking on egg shells, so as to not dare appear to offend the gay community, ............ and you're telling me your friends from the gay community aren't PC???!!!???

If that ain't irony...

HockeyDad..... arn't you waiting anxiously in anticipation for this posters gay friends ( non Drum Corps fans ) to get back to us to tell us what they think of today's DCI guards ?

It's like you and I saying that we are going to go out and ask our married friends ( non Drum Corps fans ) and get back to us to tell us what they think of today's DCI guards .

If they'e not Drum Corps fans, whether they are gay, straight, single, or married, etc who gives a bleep what they think ?...... seriously ?

DCI doesn't. Why should we ?

Edited by BRASSO

Brasso, I didn't ask them about the state of DCI guards. I asked them if they would find the OPs post offensive.

Only got 2 replies up to now.

Both say nothing wrong until the 'its not a gay straight thing' comment. it seems that comment highlighted the 'gay straight thing'.

Speaking strickly from a male perspective, I would rather be (and have been)......a snare drummer. :shutup: