Your Odd Housing Stories

Or those rare occasions when you stayed in the dorms at Whitewater!

We did that in '77 (Silver Sabres) and the night before in the dorms at Northern Michigan State for DCI North (Ypsilanti sp?)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed in the Whitewater dorms a couple times after I aged out. Both times, it was a horrible experience. The room was so suffocatingly hot and muggy, I couldn't sleep with the door closed because there was no ventilation and the room was a sauna. The showers were so steamy, it was hard to see and impossible to dry off.

And yet there was magic to being in Whitewater for drum corps.

I stayed in the Whitewater dorms a couple times after I aged out. Both times, it was a horrible experience. The room was so suffocatingly hot and muggy, I couldn't sleep with the door closed because there was no ventilation and the room was a sauna. The showers were so steamy, it was hard to see and impossible to dry off.

I remember staying in the dorms in, I think, 1984. What year did Garfield have the trainwreck? It was that year. I had to take a former student back to be with the corps after falling off the top of a fence and breaking both his wrists. It's hard to play snare with broken wrists. In fact, it's hard to do anything.

Edited by DAvery

It was 84, I'm kind of glad I don't have any horrible stories. The worst was a giant cockroach in Canton Oh. It was in the mens urinal and since we just got off the bus all 75 guys tried to "drown" it but it lived. We were afraid it was going to kill us in our sleep.

My corps stayed in the Whitewater dorms for '72 and '73 DCI. I also remember the showers being a sauna. 1973 was also really bad as we were housed in the same dorm as the Cavies and they were in a really bad mood after they came in 15th in prelims :grouphug: .

The really good thing about Whitewater was the all-you-can-eat cafeteria. If your corps was scarfing up PB&J instead, you really missed out on a real smorgasbord.

Edited by HornsUp

Okay I can tell this now....34 years later. We went to the Philly DCI Championships and after having our director resign the day before and our hotel reservations lost, we finally stayed at a motel in Cherry (something), NJ. There was a corps from Rhode Island called the Renegades there too. Our corps blew prelims, we knew it and came back to the hotel bummed out. The party began and it was a big one in my room. Liquid was flowing and so was the smoke (if ya know what I mean). A few members were told to tell everyone that we were doing a concert for the Renegades by the pool. Oh this wasn't going to be good! We all gathered by the equipment truck with instruments and formed up by the pool. We were playing pretty darned good. We did a Porgy and Bess Medley for concert and the ending featured 6 of us out front screaming away. We finished and the guy that played the highest note just stood there as were going back into the line. Two of us walked back and coaxed Billy into coming back into the line. All he said was "sweet note man, sweet note. Did you hear that? Did you really hear that note? WOW!!! We laughed through the rest of the concert. The Renegades really appreciated our concert that day.

At 1966 VFW Nationals, two rival corps were staying at the Renaissance Hotel in NJ.

The Kilties were on the 7th floor, and the Chicago Vanguard were on the 9th.

The Vanguard girls figured out the numbering system, and were shamelessly phoning Kiltie rooms.

Meanwhile the Vanguard guys were guarding the hallways, confident that nobody could get at their women.

So some resourceful Kilties started playing Spiderman, climbing up the wrought iron grillwork on the balconies 100 feet above the parking lot.

Needless to say, said activities were not amusing to the Kilties' corps director.

Edited by HornsUp

I remember staying in the dorms in, I think, 1984. What year did Garfield have the trainwreck? It was that year.

Edit: 1984 Whitewater DCI Midwest Finals.

Edited by Michael Boo

1985 Whitewater DCI Midwest Finals.
NNnnnope....1984 was the Whitewater Wipeout. We saw it from the back hill after our own performance. It WAS Whitewater Finals, tho....on the ending Z pull of the show during the ascending chromatic run.