Your Odd Housing Stories

• in 81 and 82 the Blue Devils stayed in a barn at the fairgrounds in Quincy Ca.
  • In Montreal (81) we slept on the floor of a hockey rink. Had to climb something like 900 stairs to get in and out of that place.
  • Iowa always had the moving floors. It worked out ok, though. The bugs were big enough to carry our luggage in for us before we stepped on them.
  • I suppose many nights on the bus is too obvious to list :)
  • Many nights sleeping in classrooms and hallways only to be woken up by summer school and kids walking through us on their way to classes.

About the only bad housing I remember on 84 tour was Pt. Huron....who thought it would be a good idea to house BD and Garfield at the same school??? Nothing happened, if course, unless you count Matt stopping some guy's fist with his face before we hit the road...

Wasn't there some college in the midwest we stayed where we were asked not to return after we'd packed up? It was on the outbound part of tour....not the ride home. I seem to recall Moxley being upset, and I think that was the reason.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NNnnnope....1984 was the Whitewater Wipeout. We saw it from the back hill after our own performance. It WAS Whitewater Finals, tho....on the ending Z pull of the show during the ascending chromatic run.

I really can not remember. In 84 I had 6 students marching; 3 horns, 2 snares and a pit. In 85 I only had 2 students marching. It may have been 85.

Edited by DAvery

In 2004, Denver Colorado, I was staying at a HoJo's and some a--hole was taking a shower next to me at 1:30AM, I was not impressed. All week I didn't hear a thing from him. The Friday of semi finals, just outside my hotel some maniac was tearing up and down the street in front of my hotel, cops were in very close pursute for about three hours. Next thing I hear is a helicopter hovering my hotel. I went outside to see what was going on. Then i heard a guy with a very loud speaker saying "Get on the ground NOW !!!" I thought....nah, they don't mean me..do they ? Next he said "GET DOWN NOW" !!!! So I obeyed and assumed the position, face down, arms out, "DON'T MOVE !!!!" I start to look around and there is a very large crowd gathering all looking at ME !!!

Then I saw a cop besdie his cruiser looking at me with a puzzled look on his face. He came over and said "What are you doing ?" I said "Doing what the guy in the fricking helicopter tells me to do."

He crouched down beside me and said "Sir ? He isn't talking to you. We caught the guy we were chasing across the street behind that store." I got up dusted myself off, looked around at the crowd took a bow and they all applauded. I went back to me room changed my shorts and went to the semis just down the street.

When I get home, I get online and checked out the Denver newspaper. The guy they nabbed on the Friday was staying at the Hojo's I was staying at. I wonder if he was the guy next to me....nah couldn't be. This guy had escaped custody on the Monday being transported to the county courthouse.

In 2004, Denver Colorado, I was staying at a HoJo's and some a--hole was taking a shower next to me at 1:30AM, I was not impressed. All week I didn't hear a thing from him. The Friday of semi finals, just outside my hotel some maniac was tearing up and down the street in front of my hotel, cops were in very close pursute for about three hours. Next thing I hear is a helicopter hovering my hotel. I went outside to see what was going on. Then i heard a guy with a very loud speaker saying "Get on the ground NOW !!!" I thought....nah, they don't mean me..do they ? Next he said "GET DOWN NOW" !!!! So I obeyed and assumed the position, face down, arms out, "DON'T MOVE !!!!" I start to look around and there is a very large crowd gathering all looking at ME !!!

Then I saw a cop besdie his cruiser looking at me with a puzzled look on his face. He came over and said "What are you doing ?" I said "Doing what the guy in the fricking helicopter tells me to do."

He crouched down beside me and said "Sir ? He isn't talking to you. We caught the guy we were chasing across the street behind that store." I got up dusted myself off, looked around at the crowd took a bow and they all applauded. I went back to me room changed my shorts and went to the semis just down the street.

When I get home, I get online and checked out the Denver newspaper. The guy they nabbed on the Friday was staying at the Hojo's I was staying at. I wonder if he was the guy next to me....nah couldn't be. This guy had escaped custody on the Monday being transported to the county courthouse.

THAT was funny!

Had to read this to my wife and we laughed our butts off! Thanks for that story.

NNnnnope....1984 was the Whitewater Wipeout. We saw it from the back hill after our own performance. It WAS Whitewater Finals, tho....on the ending Z pull of the show during the ascending chromatic run.

Yes, you're right. It was the "West Side Story" show.

TRUE STORY, swear to God !!

• 3 months later...

Two different corps, years, and housing stories.

1985 Velvet Knights... housing got screwed up before Allentown Eastern Championships... corps had to vote on our housing option

1. with SCV at their school gym

2. with Madison in the park surrounding the stadium

We voted the Madison park option as many (no offense) did not relate well with SCV

Les Eclipse had to perform first at every show that year as a penalty for marching overage members the prior year.

Back then it was the traditional Prelims/Final every corps who was someone competed type Allentown show.

At 5:30 am a lot of us were sleeping right next to our bus and were woken up by a bunch of French and pounding of sticks on rubber pads.

1987 Florida Wave... decided to stay an an armory outside of Baltimore MD.

Original plan called for sleeping during the heat of the day and practicing until 3am.

Problem was they had only 3 showers.

You can guess which sex was going to get to use those showers (yep, the 38 or so women).

[i cannot believe Larry did not think of this one]

The 100 or so men rigged a freezing cold hose up outside and the drum major gave us each 30 or seconds under the hose.