Your Odd Housing Stories

Circa 1976 the Velvet Knights stayed at the National Guard Armory in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

The smell was indescribable whenever the huge Quaker Oats factory (right up the river) started up.

Ceder Rapids. Rehearsal being called off due to kamikaze bugs. Best thing? Being treated to wonderful dinner by the Emerald Knights.

The Sioux City Iowa National Guard Armory that VK stayed in '79 was very memorable...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1973 or 1974 - Herkimer, NY show (if I recall correctly).

Our housing fell through so a parent of some local corps member let us sleep on the floors of his funeral home.

Several of us picked a lock and went into a room where the coffins were stored.

It was nice and comfy sleeping in them that night.

Scared the heck out of some guys when they wandered in and found us sound asleep! :tongue:

1979 Birmingham Alabama

The San Jose Raiders stayed at a summer camp... It was a beautiful place with nestled little clearings, we would walk around at night amongst the fireflies. It was beautiful, we all had bunks in cabins which held maybe 10 members each. The women (old fashioned southern women) who took care of us while we were there made us the best local foods while we stayed. It was the best place a corps could possibly stay. It was fun and comfortable... Oh and we took next to last at prelims! :thumbdown:

Edited by Big Bad Bari

1986 - Slept on the grass outside of Marion HS after the US Open because both our buses lost power and we were stuck.

1989 - We were housed in a sporting arena in Montreal and had to sleep on top of a hockey rink. They put a floor over the ice, but it was still pretty f-ing cold!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

I think we stayed in that ice rink a different year.....it was a chilly nights sleep for sure!

Our school was a one story building (I think in Mars).

Greg. I think VK stayed right down the hill in '78 0r '79. They built a new school close by and we stayed there. Of course the VK members had to go check out that school at night...

I remember there was an old grave at the site.

1973 or 1974 - Herkimer, NY show (if I recall correctly).

Our housing fell through so a parent of some local corps member let us sleep on the floors of his funeral home.

Several of us picked a lock and went into a room where the coffins were stored.

It was nice and comfy sleeping in them that night.

Scared the heck out of some guys when they wandered in and found us sound asleep! :thumbdown:

WOW! Paul that really happened? That is the most interesting and odd story I've heard.

1983 - pulled up to a VFW hall in NJ sometime around 3 in the morning. A buncha Skyliners were hanging around outside the place slamming beers.

The hornline, color guard and most of the drumline were happy to have a place to crash that didn't involve trying to bogart a place on a bus floor, and went in to crash.

However, we unfortunate degenerates decided to grab a smoke outside with the Skyliners and were sucked into the abyss.

Needless to say, we all feel sorry for those folks who were stuck having to march behind us the next morning.

My apologies...