The Roof Will Be Open

Dan Potter commented in another thread that we'd be pleasantly surprised with the "fan experience" announcement(s) today. Is this it?

EDIT: Sorry, I misread. Here's what he said...

"You'll hear much more on that theme (the fan experience) in the Field Pass to be posted tomorrow. It's a review of many of the ideas discussed at the winter meetings. Guests include Michael Cesario, DCI judge George Oliviero, Phantom percussion guru Paul Rennick, Crossmen program coordinator Jaime Alvarez-Calderone, Crown's brass caption head Matt Harloff, DCI OC Coordinator Dave Eddelman, Open Class Advisory chair Vicki Schaeffer, YEA board member Bill Speakman and the drum majors from The Cadets, Jersey Surf and Boston Crusaders....with music from the 2009 Cavaliers, Vanguard, Blue Devils B and The Cadets"

Going to watch the Field Pass...

Edited by garfield

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will they still have the black curtain?

I think Mr. Hopkins makes some great points:

Speaking to the members in favor of opening the roof was George Hopkins, executive director of the Cadets. "Although we know that there won't be as many people in the stadium on Thursday as there will be on Saturday night, opening the roof will give us the chance once and for all to understand the difference that's offered by taking advantage of the option. It's in our best interest to give it a try and to hear for ourselves how the open roof will make a difference one way or the other."

( from DCI.org)

I agree with Mr Fiedler also. Whats good for one is good for all. I also feel that not having the roof open for all Corps would skew the data because you are not capturing the full cycle of the whole event that night from start to finish.

How Many Corps go on before the first INT?

Dean

7 or 8

It's better than nothing. At least they'll be trying something. I think "but it'll be hot!" is a pretty lame reason not to open the roof--it's drum corps. It's summertime. Being hot at a drum corps show is not a new experience, so my pity level on that is pretty low after events like Jackson, WI, and 2003 II/III finals in Orlando.

Yeah...its better than nothing but it MAY give people another reason (perhaps) to not go see the corps that are on before the first INT. Those kids deserve to have fans in the seats as well as the top corps.

The corps still have to warm up outside in the heat and hope to get the tuning right for AC...oh well.

DA

Yeah...its better than nothing but it MAY give people another reason (perhaps) to not go see the corps that are on before the first INT. Those kids deserve to have fans in the seats as well as the top corps.

The corps still have to warm up outside in the heat and hope to get the tuning right for AC...oh well.

DA

:tongue::tongue:

As someone who will be performing on that field this year, all I can say is WOOOHOOOO! :smile::tongue: :tongue: :smile:

I bet this could be the highest QF attendance ever lol

Yes, people may complain about it being hot.... but remember last year, people complained of it being cold inside Lucas Oil..... at 70 degrees.

I think this is a great move. Why not try it?

As for the fairness. I think it is perfectly fair. The corps all know what the situation will be going into the season and they have all the major regionals of the season to get seeded into the top 15 (so they can perform with no roof). It is not like quarterfinals is a random draw. They have to earn their performance order.