Earlier changes to Drum Corps

There were several rules changes that ultimately led to the design changes.

Two big ones:

[*]the grounding of percussion instruments - AKA the creation of the pit. (late 70's)

While there was some limited grounded percussion prior to the pit, I think the actual pit started in 1982. In fact, the term wasn't used prior to around 82 or 83 (that I know of).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. In fact, rules prevented symmetric drill for decades. Until 1974, corps had to enter the field stage left and exit stage right.

I think you mean house left->house right. (Or stage right->stage left.)

Edited by corps-mudgeon

A few examples from BITD:

after 1971: That's not real drum corps - did you see all of that dancing around the field that they allowed? I can't believe they made that legal.

During 1976: Did you see the Bridgemen? That's not real drum corps - where is the military bearing? You call that marching? I can't believe they allowed that on the field. I can't believe they made that legal.

starting in 1977: Those new two-valve sopranos are not real bugles. The valves are on top! It looks like a trumpet. If I wanted to watch guys with band instruments, I'd go to my high school half time show. I can't believe they made those legal.

Do you see a pattern?

Hear some of them myself Bob, hell I griped about the 2v myself. But the question isn't did you hear griping, the question do you know anyone who left because of them.

And JohnZ, exactly. People didn't know about changes unless they had a DCW/DCN subscription which was very few people in the stands at the shwos I saw. And sure DCW/DCN did not print some of nastier letters about changes either. Most pro/con letters I remember were pretty bland either way.

The changes that took placefrom the 70's through the end of the 80's were as drastic IMO as any changes that have happenned since. If you look at a show from 88-89 compared to 78-79, the difference in what you see on the field are night and day. The concept of how shows were created, what was desireable, what was current, was vastly different. The only similarities were that there were still brass, drums/percussion, and color guard on the field, and the same can still be said today. In fact, I would say late 80's drum corps is way more similar to todays DCI than to what DCI looked like in the 70s.

I have to agree with BozzlyB.....drum corps has always been in a state of change. Some folks just can't...or won't...adapt with the activity. I vividly recall when I was marching in BAC in 1980, we were small and had one kid to play all three timpani.....so, we grounded them (on the field) right in front of the drum major. Most other corps were still carrying the timps and had a "timp line" of four guys who were constantly cranking those suckers while trying to move and play. Some folks thought it was an abomination to actually put the drums down on the field........."this isn't drum corps!" was said alot.

In 1985, when Boston used a synth to play the melody in the Axel F percussion feature, people said "This isn't drum corps!"

Way back in the early 60's, BAC put a couple xylophones on the field.......people said "This isn't drum corps!"

In the late 70's, when the Bridgemen were doing their looney antics on the field, people said "This isn't drum corps!"

In 1971, due in part to controversial shows by Madison and Garfield, people were buying t-shirts at shows which said "1971..the year that drum corps died!"

On tour with BAC in 09, someone looked at their guard and said, "This isn't drum corps!"

Enough already. Drum corps has been changing and evolving for over 75 years. Thankfully, because if it hadn't the actvity would not be around today.

Hear some of them myself Bob, hell I griped about the 2v myself. But the question isn't did you hear griping, the question do you know anyone who left because of them.

Most people just griped and stayed. But, I know that some did gripe and leave.

Either way, there was a lot of griping going on.

I have to agree with BozzlyB.....drum corps has always been in a state of change. Some folks just can't...or won't...adapt with the activity. I vividly recall when I was marching in BAC in 1980, we were small and had one kid to play all three timpani.....so, we grounded them (on the field) right in front of the drum major. Most other corps were still carrying the timps and had a "timp line" of four guys who were constantly cranking those suckers while trying to move and play. Some folks thought it was an abomination to actually put the drums down on the field........."this isn't drum corps!" was said alot.

And the were not the first to do that so you can imagine what the Kilties heard in 1978.

A few of my old Drum Corps buddies dropped out of the activity back in the early 80's because of the introduction of the pit. But even more stopped attending shows when DCI stopped having shows in Canada. I know of some Canadian former fans who feel that DCI should be changed to DCN. I stopped attending shows more recently due to the "hostility" that's encountered by the American border guards. I stopped all of my American trips a few years ago because of the "homeland security" and how nasty the guards treat non Americans. I now rely on CD's and DVD's to get my "doses" of Drum Corps.

well this just shoots several arguments to hell :laughing:

Correct. In fact, rules prevented symmetric drill for decades. Until 1974, corps had to enter the field stage left and exit stage right.

What difference does it make what initiates the change? The point is that the activity is ever changing as a result of multiple influences. Rules don't force change, they allow it to happen without being penalized for it.

The difference is in an assumption I made with the OP. And that assumption is that people are saying they are staying away becuase of a rule.

If the design changes without a rule change it's not something that is known ahead of time, so people will not say I'm staying away because the drill design is changing. They may stay away AFTER seeing the show and not liking the design changes. Where they may see a rule change (ie. electronics are now permitted) and say I'm staying away BEFORE seeing how the rule change effects the show.

I guess my point is are the rule changes causing some poepl to not give the shows a chance before saying 'I'm staying away'

Make any sense?

Edited by GDinnes