What was the first drum corps show you attended?

Cavalier show 1970. Clowns. But I got over it. Turned out the guy who was the clown went to my high school. We're all connected.

The clown show was 1971.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang! Nice show! Was that in Cinci ?

Yes, at Nippert. I had listened to records for a couple of years. We got there a couple of hour before the show. We saw a corps practicing beside the stadium. They were not playing at the moment. As we were walking up I remember counting the horns. They only had 44 and then I noticed it was the Kingsmen. I thought to myself, "they must be having a down year". Then they started playing. Holy cow. They were working on Mambo, their opener. What a great corps.

Dream - 1958!

Juniors - BS, Bon Bons, Garfield, Most Precious Blood Crusaders, Paterson Cadets

Seniors - Reilly, Archer-Epler, Princemen, Cabs and Pittsburgh Rockets

Exhibitions - St Vincent's Cadets, Scout House

My uncle took me. He knew I was already hooked having grown up in the activity and hearing all of the stories from him, my grandfather and my other uncle.

Ray

Edited by Ray Priester

Dream - 1958!

Ray

1959-- 142nd Street Armory NYC Don't know the name of the show I was only 11ys old..

Only remember 2 Corps from the show... Garfield Cadets- SkyLiners

1960 Manning Bowl, Lynn MA.... Don't remember the Corps that were there, I was 6 yrs old and lived across the street. Mom wouldn't let me join the Lynn Continentals till I was 9...

The first show I attended was Glover Stadium Anaheim, California in 1968. The Anaheim Kingsmen's show. My father, my brother and I had seen the Kingsmen in a parade and followed them through the parade season when one of the parents suggested we attend. The corps that evening were:

Anaheim Kingsmen

Velvet Knights

Lynwood Diplomats (or Ambassadors)

Imperial Dragons/LA Chinese

Kings Royal Lancers (Kingsmen's B corps)

Squires (VK's B corps)

and maybe the Golden Statesmen from San Diego

The first show I attended was Glover Stadium Anaheim, California in 1968. The Anaheim Kingsmen's show. My father, my brother and I had seen the Kingsmen in a parade and followed them through the parade season when one of the parents suggested we attend. The corps that evening were:

Anaheim Kingsmen

Velvet Knights

Lynwood Diplomats (or Ambassadors)

Imperial Dragons/LA Chinese

Kings Royal Lancers (Kingsmen's B corps)

Squires (VK's B corps)

and maybe the Golden Statesmen from San Diego

I believe we (SCV) were at that show. One of our first trips outside of Northern California.

:smile:

I was waiting for that. Right after I posted it.....

Apparently, you now stand corrected :smile: My friend’s Mom had dated a drum corps instructor. They took us to 2 local contests in 1968. June 15, CNE Stadium with Boston Crusaders, Blessed Sac, Kilties, Optimists, Marching Ambassadors and Canadian Commanders. August 17, at Varsity Stadium with Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, St. Joseph’s of Batavia, De La Salle Oaklands, Toronto Optimists and Cadets La Salle. Debbie and I joined drum corps September 1968 :-)