What was the first drum corps show you attended?

Apparently, you now stand corrected :smile: My friend’s Mom had dated a drum corps instructor. They took us to 2 local contests in 1968. June 15, CNE Stadium with Boston Crusaders, Blessed Sac, Kilties, Optimists, Marching Ambassadors and Canadian Commanders. August 17, at Varsity Stadium with Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, St. Joseph’s of Batavia, De La Salle Oaklands, Toronto Optimists and Cadets La Salle. Debbie and I joined drum corps September 1968 :-)

I joined Nisei Ambassadors B corps in 1970 as I was barely 12 years old but didn't get to see a show till June '71 (apparently!) it was at a HS stadium on Oakton Blvd, Niles or Skokie--Main West? Something like that. There was a clown there. Can't remember the other corps in attendance.....probably the local powers.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for that. Right after I posted it.....

It's hard to forget something like that.

It's hard to forget something like that.

"First Show":

1957, Barnum Festival's "Parade of Champions". Hedges Stadium, Bridgeport CT. Can't really remember "Who" was there. The old Bridgeport PAL Cadets started running their "Parae of Junior Champions" in the same stadium around 1958 or 1959, and I sort of remember St Vincent's Cadets being there. :blink:

Long LONG time ago...... :smile:

Elphaba

1978 DCI East in Allentown.

I was already in a corps, but we had yet to actually make it to the field. I got up in the middle of the night to make it for the beginning of Prelims (Bridgemen were on VERY early), and stayed through Finals late that night. (Back in the "good ole days" you had Prelims and Finals on the same day. It rocked, both as a spectator and as a performer.)

Got home in the middle of the next night and woke up the whole darn family to tell them what I had seen. I absolutely couldn't contain my emotional response to such an amazing experience. The Bridgemen! Spirit of Atlanta and that hornline! The precision of the Phantom Regiment! The smooth and wonderful Blue Devils!

I was hooked but good after that wonderful experience.

Cheers!

Karen

Blue Devils home show: 1972 Precision West in Pleasant Hill, Ca.

In attendance:

1) SC Vanguard featuring soprano soloist Wayne Downey

2) San Francisco Conquistadors, taught by Wayne Downey

3) Capitolaires. I don't think they were renamed to Capitol Freelancers yet, could've been.

4) San Jose Knight Raiders

5) Stockton Commodores. My favorite corps and the only one I remember.

There were probably others. My dad has a recording of that show. I was surprised at how well Blue Devils sounded in 72.

Three things I didn't know, interesting. So he marched and taught at the same time.

My first show was in Evansville IN at the Reitz Bowl. It was either 1979 or 1980 - the only corps I can remember from the night was Phantom Regiment and I don't even remember them except that I must have dug them because I bought a t-shirt.

Can't say for sure as I was carried to it as small child. It was likely a Dream in the early 70's (maybe in '69 - '70) since my parents went to that show each year.

I grew up with drum corps, my Dad played drum corps albums all the time, we went to shows in the summer, it was just a part of my household....I don't recall an "ah ha" moment of discovery.

Peace,

CuriousMe

1972 US Open, Marion, OH

Don't remember past Madison and, I think, 27th and Blue Stars. And saw Phantom there for the first time a couple years later. By '75 I was at finals.

Thanks to my band director for dragging me there with 40 other kids. We were simply in awe. Still am, come to think of it.

Edited by garfield

Blue Devils home show: 1972 Precision West in Pleasant Hill, Ca.

In attendance:

1) SC Vanguard featuring soprano soloist Wayne Downey

2) San Francisco Conquistadors, taught by Wayne Downey

3) Capitolaires. I don't think they were renamed to Capitol Freelancers yet, could've been.

4) San Jose Knight Raiders

5) Stockton Commodores. My favorite corps and the only one I remember.

6) San Leandro Royalaires

There were probably others. My dad has a recording of that show. I was surprised at how well Blue Devils sounded in 72.

Wayne didn't teach us (Royalaires)in 1972, but he taught us in 1971. Wasn't he already teaching the Blue Devils in 1972? Heck, he might have been teaching the Knight Raiders as well, lol!

The first show I attended as a spectator was actually in my second year of marching. It was Pacific Procession in 1972. I don't know why they didn't have the "B" corps in the show but I'm not complaining because I got to see Madison, Kingsmen, Troopers and Blue Stars for the first time ever, as well as Capitalaires, Commodores, and Santa Clara Vanguard for the first time as a spectator on the concert side of the stadium. I recorded this show on my cheap cassette recorder and wore it out. Man, I wish I still had that tape.

Edited by Russellrks

I attended at least one show in 1967.... a local Garden State Circuit show somewhere in the NY/NJ metro area.... but I don't remember where.

I was there with my parents to watch my older brothers compete... it was their first year in drum corps.

I was nine years old.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......LOL

Fran