For those with "significant others"

Significant Others and Drum Corps  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Which one applies to your significant other (SO) best?

• My SO is a drum corps fanatic - even more than me.
    • My SO is as much of a fan of drum corps as I am.
    • My SO is a fan, but not as much as me.
    • My SO likes drum corps a little.
    • My SO is tolerant of my drum corps enjoyment.
    • My SO would rather I completely drop my drum corps habit.
  2. 2. Part Deux: show attendance

• My SO goes to more drum corps shows than me.
    • My SO goes to the same number of shows that I do.
    • My SO goes to fewer shows than I do.
    • My SO rarely goes to drum corps shows. (less than 1 per year, but a handful over time)
    • My SO never goes to drum corps shows.

My wife and I have had almost the same history...both marched in our high school marching band (at the same time)...although she has never marched corps, and I have. We usually go to the shows (summer drum corps and winter guard/drumline shows) together...although occasionally I will go to one without her as she has some mobility limitations. But...she will usually go and enjoys them...but she's not one to sit at home and watch the DVDs (unless we are showing them to someone else)...whereas I have no problem sitting for a few hours and watching them..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend is a bassoon player. She likes drum corps but is terribly ignorant of it. And she hasn't been to any shows before, though she'll probably go to about two this summer, ones I'll be marching at.... so yeah she'll go to fewer than me :P

My wife and I both marched SCV with eachother:

Me (baritone) 93-96

Her (guard) 96 & 99 (champion)

I dont know what it is but my wife doesnt like to go to shows. In fact, she's not that into DC anymore. I noticed that some of her friends are the same way AND marched in the guard as well. So I'm curious if you notice that brass & percussion guys are more into DC than guard people??? Is it because we actually played the music and they counted? (JK)

Me (baritone) 93-96

I dont know what it is but my wife doesnt like to go to shows. In fact, she's not that into DC anymore. I noticed that some of her friends are the same way AND marched in the guard as well. So I'm curious if you notice that brass & percussion guys are more into DC than guard people??? Is it because we actually played the music and they counted? (JK)

I'm not into the modern " guard ", so most likely I didn't watch her perform in guard in her shows in 96 and 99 either.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not into the modern " guard ", so most likely I didn't watch her perform in guard in her shows in 96 and 99 either.

Out of curiosity, why in the hell would you post this statement?! The poster you quoted mentioned the years he and his wife marched (probably for reference only), and your only response it the above. Maybe I'm just tired of the constant barrage of "new drum corps sucks" type posts from some of the stubborn old timers on here, but I interpret your comment as nothing more than taking yet another jab about modern corps show designs.

Really, it gets old... :thumbup:

Me (baritone) 93-96

FWIW, I know plenty of guard alumni who are still into drum corps currently. They appreciate a lot of the same things us brass and percussion folks do, and some of them like drum corps even more now that the color guard caption is part of the over-all score. A couple of them think that since color guard is a "bigger" part of shows now, there is more of a focus on guard and their work is more intricate and they are featured a bit more. I'd chalk up your experience as just a coincidence than anything else.

What is the past tense of "significant other" ???

Would ya like to go to a drum corps show ??? Gotta warn ya, though, I've been known to toe tap at the symphony and dance at a concert if the music moves me :-D

from wasasignificantotherette ps. I like your G-Bugles ;-)

My girlfriend is a bassoon player. She likes drum corps but is terribly ignorant of it.

The complete fingering chart for a bassoon is a 370 page book that sells for $52.50.

I'll bet your girlfriend thinks YOU are terribly ignorant.

Edited by HornsUp

The complete fingering chart for a bassoon is a 370 page book that sells for $52.50.

I'll bet your girlfriend thinks YOU are terribly ignorant.

LOL!

Well folks, the poll has been interesting so far. Thanks for participating! :thumbup: